Author Topic: Briggs Models needs your help  (Read 5918 times)

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
Re: Briggs Models needs your help
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
I'd be in for the small diameter tank cars assuming that the prototype is transition era or older. The GN and NP cars listed would be good too. Other possibilities would be a GN plywood sided boxcar or an updated version of the CP mini-box .
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:44 PM »
We are looking at our March/April project and we would like to do a freight car which can be or was seen across North America.

The CP 54' TOFC flat would be welcome and piggyback off of the version just done - widely seen all over the US:
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=69742
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=2524
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=16797
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=46668

Otherwise I'd been in for dozens of the BN/BNSF coil cars....
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 11:45:19 PM »
DOT 111A100W5 HCl Acid Tanks would be awesome.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
How about a Canadian style 8 hatch overhead bunker ice reefer? I was going to tackle that one myself but the ends and roof have me a bit intimidated, but it would be 'no problem' for you. I have drawings for the CN version from a detailed article in an old Model Railroad Craftsman. I know CN and CP had big fleets of these, but you'd need to consult with others to find out if PGE or TH&B had any.

Or, not my era, but Mark Dance love them, wood chip gondolas. I was thinking of the extended sides on a standard gondola version, but the purpose built variety would might also work. If you did the extended side car you might also be able to market the standard gondola as well. Wood chips was big business.
Geoff

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »
+2
Whatever it is, if it's something that was in full blown service by the end 1943 and would've been seen in the northeaster US I'll definitely buy a couple.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
Any type of tank car that was in service during WWII has my vote.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
How about a Canadian style 8 hatch overhead bunker ice reefer? I was going to tackle that one myself but the ends and roof have me a bit intimidated, but it would be 'no problem' for you. I have drawings for the CN version from a detailed article in an old Model Railroad Craftsman. I know CN and CP had big fleets of these, but you'd need to consult with others to find out if PGE or TH&B had any.

Yes!  There were several small orders of these for PGE, likely tacked on to orders for CN or CP cars.  Most survived well into the BCR era and went north with food and beverage products so I would definitely be in for a few.

I would also like to see the Procor pressure flow hopper cars which Intermountain did in HO Scale - good for CN, Mountain Minerals (CP), Procor, Haliburton, BCR; some now with secondary owners including Alaska RR.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 01:42:53 PM »
i'd be in for a bunch of the NP boxcars and a few GN boxcars, as well as the NP log cars.

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »
Oh, I forgot to add to my previous post, but you could also reissue your minibox (already mentioned) (I only have two) and your CPR van (of which I have only 4). I would be in the market for more of both...
Geoff

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 02:22:16 PM »
Yes!  There were several small orders of these for PGE, likely tacked on to orders for CN or CP cars.  Most survived well into the BCR era and went north with food and beverage products so I would definitely be in for a few.
Is the 8 hatch you are talking about different from the one made for several years by GHQ?
http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/zm18.html

Not that I would want to deprive Briggs of sales, but it does seem a duplication of effort.  I built a couple of the GHQ, have them painted and intend to detail them as CN express reefers.

I would be in for a couple of the minibox if those were available again at some time in the future.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »

I'm up for these too, in 6 packs. Just give me a heads up, as I will need to get a small second mortgage.

Also, very high on my list is the SP&S Gunderson 61' outside-braced plywood-side 9000 series woodchip car. It's similar to the SP's 7466 Gundersons (that Exact Rail made in HO), but the SP&S ends are different, as are the outside panels and their bracing on each car side. GN had versions similar to both SP&S's and the SP's, IIRC. FWIW, Traincat did an etched version of the SP car. Maybe that could be resurrected?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:08:43 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »
I'm up for these too, in 6 packs. Just give me a heads up, as I will need to get a small second mortgage.

Also, very high on my list is the SP&S Gunderson 61' outside-braced plywood-side 9000 series woodchip car. It's similar to the SP's 7466 Gundersons (that Exact Rail made in HO), but the SP&S ends are different, as are the outside panels and their bracing on each car side. GN had versions similar to both SP&S's and the SP's, IIRC. FWIW, Traincat did an etched version of the SP car. Maybe that could be resurrected?

Oh man, do I agree with all this!  NP log cars, SP&S woodchips - I'm definitely in!!!

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 02:31:05 AM »
Is the 8 hatch you are talking about different from the one made for several years by GHQ?

Yes, I believe that the GHQ model is a CNR version which is not suitable for CPR or PGE.  The advantage of 3D rendering and printing is that Jeff can do the various versions fairly easily.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:54 AM »
Yes, I believe that the GHQ model is a CNR version which is not suitable for CPR or PGE.  The advantage of 3D rendering and printing is that Jeff can do the various versions fairly easily.

Tim

My bad (as my now adult kids would say).  In that case, more 8 hatch cars is a fine idea, and I am probably in for 1 or 2.  I should know well enough by now to google it before I make any assumptions.  The 8 hatch cars do draw attention on a layout.

Since my earlier post, found the True Line page on their HO model.  I was surprised by the amount of variation, even in the CN cars. 
http://www.truelinetrains.ca/freight-cars/ho---8-hatch-reefer

Next time, I will investigate the prototype first, and post after.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
+1
For the transition era there are only a small handful of (nice) tank cars available.

1) Intermountain ACF type 27 8000 gallon.
2) Bachmann ACF type 27 10,000 gallon. Crappy underframe.
3) Bachmann ACF type 27 3 dome 10,000 gallon (or so) Crappy underframe.
4) Micro trains - I have no clue but it appears to be a 12,000 gallon car.
5) Micro trains ACF 3 dome 6000 gallon.

No N Scale car is available with high or intermediate walkways.
No UTLX built cars are available.
No General American built cars are available
No pressed steel cars are available, etc. etc.
No 2 dome cars are available.
No acid cars are available.

All of the N scale cars have the same dome type except the Bachmann 3 dome with the side mounted vents.

As far as I'm concerned the N scale steam/ transition era tank car field is wide open.

Randy