Author Topic: Dry Bulk Vac Truck build  (Read 3064 times)

MystrJBL

• Respect: +15
Re: Dry Bulk Vac Truck build
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 08:28:11 PM »
+1
Love the Molotow chrome pens. I've never tried spraying the ink though. I just use Krylon bright aluminum for trailer bodies and the molotow for bumpers and other chrome details.

MystrJBL

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
+1
examples of the bright aluminum. Also, I have found that putting a clear coat over the liquid chrome it takes away the chrome mirror finish. so I tend to put the chrome on last then not touch it for a few days. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »
examples of the bright aluminum. Also, I have found that putting a clear coat over the liquid chrome it takes away the chrome mirror finish. so I tend to put the chrome on last then not touch it for a few days.

Most paint or ink type Chrome finishes are quite fragile and will dull if touched repeatedly. Also, they would loose the chrome-like reflectivity (and will look like more like a standard silver paint) if clear coated for protection.

Then there is also the old Testors Chrome enamel, but it is not quite as "chromey" as the others and it never seems to fully dry.
. . . 42 . . .

MystrJBL

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 11:16:37 PM »
Most paint or ink type Chrome finishes are quite fragile and will dull if touched repeatedly. Also, they would loose the chrome-like reflectivity (and will look like more like a standard silver paint) if clear coated for protection.

Then there is also the old Testors Chrome enamel, but it is not quite as "chromey" as the others and it never seems to fully dry.
Its one reason I apply the chrome last and then let it dry several days before touching it at all.  And I don't clearcoat it.

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
+2
MystrJBL - I may have missed it but what scale are those trucks, they are good looking.

A new update for this project. The one image is proving to me that painting with a good silver  with clear gloss coat may work easier than the liquid chrome.

1st image shows the sleeper and the tractor fenders repainted..................

2nd image with the left side unit representing a new ready to deliver unit with the right side representing a previously used, abused unit. As I stated earlier the one on right side was painted with KRYLON Metallic spray. Later I will apply clear gloss and I think it will look very acceptable.

Look at  how the small detail pops on these prints. Nice work Mark ! !

Thanks for looking and always have fun,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

MystrJBL

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »
+1
MystrJBL - I may have missed it but what scale are those trucks, they are good looking.

They are N scale, and I have a new truck I am doing a custom paint job on. And I learned Tamiya Clear blue over Gold makes that neat Color change effect like on mystic paint jobs.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]