Author Topic: NSC 53' well car kits now available  (Read 5208 times)

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: NSC 53' well car kits now available
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »
They look great Jim.  What did you use for trucks and couplers?

I use my scrap box and truck box and coupler box very effectively...and at this point I can't tell you other than probably MT of some sort. 

At the point of prepping them for the road, I use whatever will work - like I said, I recall using 33" wheels instead of 36", because the 36" rubbed a bit (and might have interfered with the coupler mounts as well...

Couplers?  I think 1023s because they were thin and narrow...

I had two other layout things going on plus schlepping CHRISTmas stuff, not to mention putting it up.  Had to grab layout time where I could, so just did what I had to in order to get 'em on the road and tested.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
That sounds like what I am planning!  Thanks!

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 03:24:31 AM »
+1
I'm quite happy with how this is turning out so far.  A note on the etchings: the floor etching has fold-up ends, but the fold lines are not etched all the way across the floor ....This makes it virtually impossible to get a clean 90 degree fold of the ends, as can be seen in my attempt at it.  I ended up just cutting the ends off and I will glue them in separately.  (I will also ask Peter if he can fix this in future etch runs.)

Following significant help from Gary - for which many thanks are due, we have redesigned this aspect and will be ready soon.

Finally, the end walkways are nicely done...except that both handrail stanchions broke off because the fold line was too slight.  However, these stanchions are not quite correct for the prototype anyway, so I'm going to try devising a substitute somehow.

please see below, as the stanchions and grabs are also redesigned as part of the new etch fret

Despite a few issues, these will fill a huge gap in my intermodal fleet!

As can bee seen above we are redesigning the walkways and grabs on one of our newest cars - the NWF13 53' d/stack car www.nscalekits.com - following earlier comments. It has been suggested by @GaryHinshaw that we design the walkways to take the drop style grabs. However, I do not have any of these here, and in order to make the etch suitable for them I need some dimensions.

Would you suggest the 15" or the 18" for the d/stack wellcars?

What dimensions should there be for the holes in the etch to receive the grabs?

We will include an etch for the grabs in the fret for those with no access to the Atlas/BLMA drop grabs.

Thank you

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 01:58:55 PM »
It has been suggested by @GaryHinshaw that we design the walkways to take the drop style grabs. However, I do not have any of these here, and in order to make the etch suitable for them I need some dimensions.

Would you suggest the 15" or the 18" for the d/stack wellcars?

Based on this photo, I would probably suggest an 18" grab.  However, this assumes that the existing stirrup width is at least 18", otherwise the grab would overhang the stirrup piece.  (I don't have access to the etched parts at the moment to check this.)

What dimensions should there be for the holes in the etch to receive the grabs?

I'm pretty sure the BLMA grabs are .008" wire, but most modellers use #80 (.013") drill bits for them b/c that is the smallest commonly available size.  So maybe go with .013" dia. holes?  Modellers who want to use smaller drills for the holes in the pewter could still do so.

Thank you for being so receptive to our (my) feedback!  :)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4587
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure the BLMA grabs are .008" wire, but most modellers use #80 (.013") drill bits for them b/c that is the smallest commonly available size.  So maybe go with .013" dia. holes?  Modellers who want to use smaller drills for the holes in the pewter could still do so.

The 0.008" Phosphor-bronze wire (ideal for making grabs, since it is stiffer than brass, and doesn't rust like steel) is inexpensive and readily available from Tichy Train Group.

I also agree with you that it is great to see a manufacturer acknowledge (and follow) recommendations from modelers.
. . . 42 . . .