Author Topic: What paints and glues can be used in 3D printed models ?  (Read 2428 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: What paints and glues can be used in 3D printed models ?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 09:21:54 PM »
+1
When you are gluing a wood brace inside a styrene building the ACC doesn't set fast. Sometimes it will soak into the wood and not even stick to the styrene. So I always hit it with accelerator while it's still nice and thick in the joint. Creates a nice fillet too.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »
Correct!  Or if you are trying to glue something to the end grain of a piece of wood.  Remember CA and accelerator have been in use for a long time with the airplane guys when kit building with balsa was in fashion.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 09:53:49 PM »
If it improves strength of the bond, that has more appeal to me than a faster set, unless I'm just doing things wrong.  I feel like it would take longer to apply CA, put it down, pick up accelerator, put it back down, then join the parts, than to just apply CA, put it down, join the parts and wait 1 second.   :|

To me the fast and complete setting of CA is of paramount importance when using the accelerator.   If you glue small parts on a surface and do no use accelerator you often end up fit frosty halo around the spot of glue, because only part of the glue sets instantly, leaving the exposed liquid to evaporate and create the halo effect.  This is especially noticeable on clear parts when they get foggy.

It really sin't all that cumbersome to use the accelerator. I usually have a white-handle Micro Brush previously dipped iinn accelerator sitting ready on my workbench.  The BSI accelerator evaporates slowly, so it won't evaporate from the brush.

Then I use 2 methods of gluing.
1. Like, you apply glue, stick the parts together and hold for few seconds for the glue to start setting.  Then I pick up the brush with accelerator and touch it to the glued area.  The accelerator spreads over the glue and sets is all quickly, preventing any fogging.

2. Apply accelerator to one of the glued parts, CA glue to the other part, then stick them together for a fast glue joint.

I guess if you never used the accelerator, you don't know what you are missing. Also the accelerator is really handy for some of the difficult glue joints which do not set quickly.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 06:12:15 AM »
Link to a preferred accelerator?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
+1
Link to a preferred accelerator?

I buy it locally.  Many hobby shops get unbranded version of Bob Smith Industries adhesives, then they put the private label on them.

Here is the link to the company's hobby products: http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/hobby.html  Look for INSTA-SET.  I recommend against getting the spray aerosol version (it is much better to apply tiny amount using a Micro Brush).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:04:35 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 02:57:50 PM »
+1
I buy it locally.  Many hobby shops get unbranded version of Bob Smith Industries adhesives, then they put the private label on them.

Here is the link to the company's hobby products: http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/hobby.html  Look for INSTA-SET.  I recommend against getting the spray version (it is much better to apply tiny amount using a Micro Brush).

I use that same stuff, locally branded, and get the spray bottle because that's what they carry.  BUT, I find that I almost never use the pump but unscrew the lid and take a drip off the pickup tube.  You can hold the tube against the inside of the bottle if you want a very small drop or you can go straight to it for a serious dose. :D  I find that a very small drop generally gets the job done. 
Mark G.