Author Topic: Atlantic  (Read 3038 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
Re: Atlantic
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »
+1
If you want to bash your own you may want to review the 2010 Addendum to the Steam Info Book available from Ntrak.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 08:31:17 PM »
I wonder how much work it would be to modify the Bachmann K4 mechanism into an E6 mechanism...
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »
+1
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a steam locomotive to use with a 2 or 3 car '40's passenger train.  I'd like an Atlantic but don't know which manufacturer makes the best runner.  I'll do the conversion to sound so a straight DC loco would be great.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill, welcome to the club. It's a tough crowd :D
All the other helpful comments aside, it really depends on what is driving your question...you obviously have an image of what you're looking for.
Generally, the Atlantic is really not a "forties" engine, it's an early 20th century fast passenger type that got displaced by heavier (if not necessarily faster) power rather quickly. That's not to say they didn't  last into the forties; Santa Fe had some 75" and 79" drivered beauties that ended up their life on short local trains in California. They could out-accelerate just about anything, given a light load. With a heavier train, not so much. There are other examples, the Pennsy being just one. The modern Milwaukee 4-4-2's were a bit of an aberration, imho, and they were quickly replaced by the amazing and heavier 84" drivered Hudson type 4-6-4's. Awesome locomotives for fast, heavy trains.
There isn't anything like what you're looking for available in N scale, and it takes skill and time and patience to cut down Pacifics or modify other locos. I'd suggest that if you're looking for a forties era branch line or local passenger power, a light Pacific, or a Mogul, both of which which are available would do just fine.
Fun stuff, enjoy it!
Otto K.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3133
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 01:12:20 AM »
+2
I wonder how much work it would be to modify the Bachmann K4 mechanism into an E6 mechanism...

Looking at this today. 

ALOT.  I am looking at designing a chassis for it.

Stay tuned here @Billg !  Likely late 2019 for a possible PRR E6s kit.