Author Topic: N Scale Hi Rail - Retro Hollow Core Door Layout  (Read 180855 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: N Scale Hi Rail - Retro Hollow Core Door Layout
« Reply #795 on: May 06, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »
Well I've gone and done it.  I've created a group on the Facetoobs that focuses on collecting, repairing, updating and running vintage N scale.  I invite you to take a look if this would interest you.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/543086996404531/members?notif_id=1588777349169535&notif_t=groups_member_joined&ref=notif
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +861
    • My blog
« Reply #796 on: May 06, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »
Well I've gone and done it.  I've created a group on the Facetoobs that focuses on collecting, repairing, updating and running vintage N scale.  I invite you to take a look if this would interest you.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/543086996404531/members?notif_id=1588777349169535&notif_t=groups_member_joined&ref=notif
requested

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #797 on: May 06, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »
+1
Your application is being processed by the assistant secretary to the department of intake and processing department of new members and application processing... 
You're in! :D
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #798 on: May 11, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »
+2
If you grew up in Baltimore in the late 70s and early 80s, seeing these guys roll through town was always a treat.  In order to keep Conrail "competitive", the D&H was granted trackage rights over Conrail and the Northeast Corridor to Potomac Yards in Alexandria to provide an alternative for traffic moving between New England and the southeast.  Some of my fondest memories are of nights trackside in Arbutus keeping watch for the "D&H Man" passing through around 11 p.m.

And of course, more worms.

Kept clean, these 2nd generation Bachmann mechanisms were rock steady.  Why they detoured from this no nonsense design to put broken gears and limp motors in everything is beyond me.

Lee
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:40:23 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #799 on: May 15, 2020, 12:11:51 AM »

Started working on my trestle for the branch line.
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #800 on: May 15, 2020, 02:15:17 AM »
+2
A modest improvement to an increasingly popular photo location on the layout...  See if you can tell what I did...
Before...

A little later...

And then...

And just now...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #801 on: May 15, 2020, 02:31:38 AM »
+1
Well...most obviously, you lined the underside of the bridge, added metal bracing to show your Pennsy fan boys that you care and lastly added some landforms, trees and other scenic accouterments.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #802 on: May 15, 2020, 03:33:11 AM »
+1
A modest improvement to an increasingly popular photo location on the layout...  See if you can tell what I did...

And then...

Lee

@wm3798   Please take this as constructive criticism or better modeling thru peer pressure. While they help fill in bare scenery spots very quickly those inexpensive Chinese trees need work before using them as is on a layout.

1.) hit the trunks & branches with matte spray or dulcotte (to kill the sheen on the trunks & branches) then
2.) add some spray adhesive followed up with sprinkling of different color ground foam to tone down the neon green foliage and then
3.) finally hit them with unscented hair spray to lock it all in.

I just performed the above steps on 22 of the same type Chinese trees this afternoon for my friends layout. They will be used as a test/mock up to see if they’ll work for a narrow background area he has between a siding & the sky board. Unless you put a lot of work into sprucing them up IMHO they work best in middleground and background scenes mixed in with better versions. I’ll follow up my post with before n after pics. Total time investment was about an hour (including rounding up the required supplies)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:02:52 AM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #803 on: May 15, 2020, 08:15:03 AM »
@wm3798   Please take this as constructive criticism or better modeling thru peer pressure. While they help fill in bare scenery spots very quickly those inexpensive Chinese trees need work before using them as is on a layout.

1.) hit the trunks & branches with matte spray or dulcotte (to kill the sheen on the trunks & branches) then
2.) add some spray adhesive followed up with sprinkling of different color ground foam to tone down the neon green foliage and then
3.) finally hit them with unscented hair spray to lock it all in.

I just performed the above steps on 22 of the same type Chinese trees this afternoon for my friends layout. They will be used as a test/mock up to see if they’ll work for a narrow background area he has between a siding & the sky board. Unless you put a lot of work into sprucing them up IMHO they work best in middleground and background scenes mixed in with better versions. I’ll follow up my post with before n after pics. Total time investment was about an hour (including rounding up the required supplies)

Pretty sure @wm3798 is aware of all that - he's intentionally going for a 1970's retro vibe on this layout, when trees had big broad plastic branches etc.  Sure, his inner artist can get that stuff and the lichen to a point where it actually looks fantastic, but he's not aiming for accuracy.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #804 on: May 15, 2020, 08:51:53 AM »
Pretty sure @wm3798 is aware of all that - he's intentionally going for a 1970's retro vibe on this layout, when trees had big broad plastic branches etc.  Sure, his inner artist can get that stuff and the lichen to a point where it actually looks fantastic, but he's not aiming for accuracy.

@160pennsy this is Lee when he's not in "retro mode."

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #805 on: May 15, 2020, 09:11:31 AM »
+1
What those guys said! Yes it's all I can do to resist the urge to throw those trees away. But the layout really is all about the quick and dirty old school feel.

I'm just glad you didn't notice the open Pilots Rapido couplers and the flanges that are as big as all Outdoors!
Rockin' It Old School

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #806 on: May 15, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
What those guys said! Yes it's all I can do to resist the urge to throw those trees away. But the layout really is all about the quick and dirty old school feel.

Then I’m confused with why you would detail the stone arch bridge and not leave it quick and dirty out of the box? Same goes for the ballast and painting of track....Guess it’s an episode of Steve Brown “Its my Railroad”..I’ll watch from the 2cent bleachers and keep quiet
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:48:28 AM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #807 on: May 15, 2020, 11:48:27 AM »
Then I’m confused with why you would detail the stone arch bridge and not leave it quick and dirty out of the box?

And why call it "Hi-rail" when using the most widely accepted standard N scale code 80 track?!

Just bustin' your chops Lee.  You have your "logical" reason.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #808 on: May 15, 2020, 12:11:13 PM »
And why call it "Hi-rail" when using the most widely accepted standard N scale code 80 track?!

Just bustin' your chops Lee.  You have your "logical" reason.

My understanding is because he's doing it all in the style of high-rail O scale 3-rail.

160pennsy

• Crew
Re: Retro Tech Layout Project - N Scale Compact Layout
« Reply #809 on: May 15, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »
+1
Thank you.  After years of pursuing the best track, the finest running models, ultimate realism in the scenery, this project has reawakened the shear delight of just running trains I remember from my youth.
It's also fun not having the hang ups of a Lionel collector... I don't care about original boxes, original paint or even original drives.

Lee

As I was not really “following “ this retro rig layout thread every time a new post showed up I only skimmed thru the text and just looked at the photos. Since a few members stepped in to set me straight, I had to go back to page 9 to find this quote on what the main goal was. My apologies for barging into the party late w/a tumbler of Johnny Walker Black and blurting out my opinions @ 4-5am LOL
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member