Author Topic: N Scale Hi Rail - Retro Hollow Core Door Layout  (Read 183811 times)

mcjaco and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5439
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Retro Tech Layout Project - N Scale Compact Layout
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Eureka!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2019, 02:21:45 PM »
Could the right side of the layout also be made three feet deep - essentially a mirror image of the shape on the left side?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2019, 02:34:13 PM »
+2
OK, last rendition for the day. Did away with the "wiggle" in the mainline at the back, and gained a few more inches of passenger track length. Replaced the double-slip with a crossing, and added a full double-crossover. And, I added a bus line (it renders as underneath everything because AnyRail doesn't have these elements, so I have to render them as images without any transparency--oh well, you get the idea). The orange line delineates the raised level--I don't think you need to go to the trouble of angling the building ends, but that's up to you, of course.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
Excellent.  I'll monkey around with the freight line based on the buildings I have, and report back later!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5522
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
+2
Coal trestle FTW  :lol:

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2019, 05:54:32 PM »
Could the right side of the layout also be made three feet deep - essentially a mirror image of the shape on the left side?

I have the layout propped up on an old desk.  The narrowed bit provides a spot for my rudimentary controls, and a few square inches for the occasional quick repair/adjustment.  I suppose I could go full dogbone, but that would have the right edge of the layout projecting farther into the room than the land department might be willing to cede.  The extra two feet is already raising eyebrows... ;)

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

nthusiast

• Crew
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2019, 08:04:46 PM »
+1
This is an awesome thread to follow, and is proof one doesn't need to have the newest or highest tech in order to have fun in this hobby. Thanks for sharing your updates. When (if ever) I fire up my retro fleet I'll attempt to share my efforts as well.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2019, 10:51:28 PM »
+2
Thank you.  After years of pursuing the best track, the finest running models, ultimate realism in the scenery, this project has reawakened the shear delight of just running trains I remember from my youth.
It's also fun not having the hang ups of a Lionel collector... I don't care about original boxes, original paint or even original drives.
It's fun to have the knowledge and experience to fearlessly repower an old Rivarossi steamer.  And for rolling stock and structures, there's so much available, either from sellers on eBay or from modelers' junkboxes, it seems like there's an endless supply of material to work with.
It really is fun to work with.
Lee
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:16:57 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »
There's a layout based on the Broad St Station in "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" -- fig 11.9. last one in the book (the original version, not the updated cone). Says its 3x5 feet w/ 12" R curves. Leaving out the roundhouse give half a layout to put other stuff in.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
There's a layout based on the Broad St Station in "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" -- fig 11.9. last one in the book (the original version, not the updated cone). Says its 3x5 feet w/ 12" R curves. Leaving out the roundhouse give half a layout to put other stuff in.

I recall that plan.  It's so twisted that you can't possibly operate it at all like the prototype.  There's no staging, so where do you send the trains?  Not to mention that Broad Street Station abutted SAL's Hermitage Yard and the RF&P's Acca Yard.  You had ACL coming in from the south, SAL coming in from the south, and the RF&P coming in from the north.  All of this converged beautifully at Broad Street Station, except that the SAL had to back in/out while the other roads were head in/out regardless of proceeding north or south.  If I remember correctly, even the N&W had trackage rights into Broad Street Station at some point.

Way too much action to cram into 3' x 5'.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2019, 02:58:13 PM »
Two more old Atlas/Rivarossi stainless coaches arrived today to round out my Penn Central train which is handled mightily by a single Trix F unit.  All but one of the cars have original equipment lighting, which I will eventually upgrade to LEDs, maybe with onboard power.

Not sure what to call this consist... I see on a 1971 time table cover that there was service from Baltimore to Harrisburg via the Northern Central, but I don't see the schedules to get the train number.  (This is on the http://pc.smellycat.com/docs/passenger/index.html, better known as Penn Central Railroad On Line.

So if anyone can shed some light on what I should call this consist, I'll get to work making it smell like burnt brake shoes and stale cigarette smoke.

One of the cool things about collecting these old models, is at the time they were released, Penn Central was still a thing...

Lee
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:01:46 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
One of the cool things about collecting these old models, is at the time they were released, Penn Central was still a thing...

Yep, and Aurora was right there in the thick of it. They launched Postage Stamp in 1967, and when PC formed in 1968, they promptly added PC to their line-up, in some cases replacing Pennsylvania items. I don't recall other companies at the time responding quite as quickly.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Here's a question for you...  In my Atlas/Rivarossi consist I have a baggage/RPO, several coaches, and the ubiquitous Gennesee River Observation lounge.  Were there any other body styles in this series?  Perhaps a diner or a sleeping car?  I've not come across any in my auction queries...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
I think the name you're looking for is "The Buffalo Day Express" or "Liberty Limited" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Limited.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
Here's a question for you...  In my Atlas/Rivarossi consist I have a baggage/RPO, several coaches, and the ubiquitous Gennesee River Observation lounge.  Were there any other body styles in this series?  Perhaps a diner or a sleeping car?  I've not come across any in my auction queries...
No others -  just the three body styles you mentioned.