Author Topic: santa fe cajon-ish 1947 in a Kansas basement  (Read 17867 times)

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +620
Re: santa fe cajon-ish 1947 in a Kansas basement
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2022, 11:38:33 PM »
+4
So were done with basic benchwork on the lower level and started the first helix. We're 1 turn up and have 2 more sections to add but if course, the railroad calls, and I'm headed out to beaumont texas Tuesday for work.
Next in line are the 2 helices, one on each side layout. They're built with half inch plywood. They're both double track. I'm not permanently attaching the track as most do. This avoids and kinks from humid and temperature changes. I'm actually using 28.25" radius unitrak. Since both mains are using the same radius, im using a couple small straight sections to space out the outer main.
Currently, ive got 4 1/8"(2.25% grade) of rise per turn but I'm planning on lowering everything close to a 1/2" which will of course make things a little easier to climb.
At the current grade, a kato mikado can pull 10 40ft box cars and a kato FEF can pull 19. That half inch will take it down to 2% and increase train length.
The plans for a 45 car max length. I'm pretty certain ill have both helices built when i get back home and move onto the upper level benchwork(and hopefully complete it!).

Drasko
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!