Author Topic: Reversing Loop Controllers  (Read 1510 times)

taholmes160

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Reversing Loop Controllers
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »
HI Folks:

Due to my layout design, I will end up with 3 reversing loops -- 2 are currently in existence, and right now I am using DPDT toggle switches to control them -- they work, but ANNOYING.  I know there are automatic units out there from many manufacturers.  Im not asking whats out there, I am asking for RECOMMENDATIONS as to which ones you like and think work best.

I am running N scale, hopefully eventually 2 - 3 trains at a time, some with 2 -3 locomotives at a time, I am currently using a NCE Powercab, which I hope to upgrade to an SB5 soon and eventually radio control

Thanks for your input

TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Re: Reversing Loop Controllers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
The PSX-AR is one of the best.  I have never had to think about them after installing.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
Ive been using 2 Digitrax AR1 since they came out in 2003 and 2 MRC auto reverse modules since about 2002 without any problems. Both are cheap and work. Both of them use a mechanical relay as some of the newer ones use a solid state relay.

I'll have to agree that from what I've read on the PSX-AR, it's one of the best.
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +924
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
PSX-AR

Using it to match polarity on entry track to turntable to bridge track.  Works like a charm.

John C.

Ughcat35

• Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:02:18 PM »
I have seen many us the AR1s with success. In my case I was helping my uncle with 2 reverse loops with 2 AR1s. I had them both working but a couple days after that they were hit and miss. Sure if I had more time on his layout I could make them more reliable but I don’t have that time. So I suggested he try the PSX, So we installed them in their place and they are working fine now. No experience with other ARs.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2284
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
I use the Tam Valley Dual Frog Juicer in four locations on my layout. A few folks here use the Frog Juicers as their turnout frog controllers, but the dual version is configurable as a reverser. Works flawlessly for me, just set and forget. Admittedly I pay attention to reversing section gap locations and don't park locos or illuminated cars over the gap.

... AR1s. I had them both working but a couple days after that they were hit and miss. Sure if I had more time ...

Frankly, I keep reading about this with the AR1s - yeah, they'll work if you fiddle with settings in your operating environment. Plus I'm not enamored with mechanical relays in this application, too slow on the uptake. PSX-AR and Frog Juicers are solid-state and response is measurable in microseconds.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »
I will strongly second the Tam Valley juicer. Rock solid and it just works.  I got an AR1 once, its garbage and a real PITA to keep it triggering at the right voltage. I'm sure its fine for HO stuff that draws a bit more current, but for n scale its near useless.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 03:44:58 PM »
My current layout doesn't have a reversing loop but does have over a dozen switches, all equipped with Tam Valley juicers by the original builder.  The function and requirements are the same as for a reverser so I'm adding this as an up vote for them.  I've never touched them and they work flawlessly.  You forget that they're even there. 8)
Mark G.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 01:32:31 AM »
I had a Digitrax AR-1 take down my whole layout. I literally had to hit it, presumably to un-stick the relay, to fix it.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 02:03:12 PM »
I'll second the recommendation for the PSX-AR. They're bulletproof. One feature I love is that it will automatically throw (via Tortoise) the turnout when the polarity changes, so you don't have to think about it when you exit the loop. That's a great feature when you have guest operators. Easy to install and reliable.

Chris
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »
PSX-AR