Author Topic: Weird error  (Read 4119 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
Re: Weird error
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 03:29:31 AM »
Scrub your machine and Malwarebytes and try again.

I clean my machine every other day, practically, using AVG and SpyBot. As stated, this is happening on more than one machine. Maybe tomorrow I'll fire up my GI-issue computer and try on it.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
I think it would be interesting to know whether you still see that long string of random characters in the URL field when you are seeing the 404 error, or does the URL look normal?  And since you are posting here, the problem seems to be ether random or tied to some specific thread?
You did clear your browser's cache, cookies and browser history, right?
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »
I think it would be interesting to know whether you still see that long string of random characters in the URL field when you are seeing the 404 error, or does the URL look normal?  And since you are posting here, the problem seems to be ether random or tied to some specific thread?
You did clear your browser's cache, cookies and browser history, right?

The URL appears in my browser as it does in the image. And yes, I frequently dump my browser's lint tray.

I fired up my government laptop a few minutes ago and, running Win 10 Enterprise and Chrome, I got the same result. The thread is the ScaleTrains HO and N Amherst "pre-announcement" anncouncement" thread. BTW, the post I am trying to correct is the one on page 7, where my typeface got shrunk. As noted, this is a regular occurrence with my posts, and seems to happen on all of the computers I have access to, after I edit a new post I'm writing and haven't posted yet or when editing an old post.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »

The URL appears in my browser as it does in the image. And yes, I frequently dump my browser's lint tray.

I fired up my government laptop a few minutes ago and, running Win 10 Enterprise and Chrome, I got the same result. The thread is the ScaleTrains HO and N Amherst "pre-announcement" anncouncement" thread. BTW, the post I am trying to correct is the one on page 7, where my typeface got shrunk. As noted, this is a regular occurrence with my posts, and seems to happen on all of the computers I have access to, after I edit a new post I'm writing and haven't posted yet or when editing an old post.

Didn't we in the past (sort of) contribute all that strangeness to that strange electrical or magnetic field around your body? We were joking , but . . .

What if your wife tries to edit that post (logged in as you of course)?

And yet, you can post in this thread just fine. Can you edit your posts in this thread?  Can you access this forum on a smart phone or tablet and see if it works properly?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:15:57 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 12:20:24 AM »
True, but my charge usually effected Apple products first, and my GI phone is very much functional (wondering when the gov't will stop paying the bill on it, though).

But anyway, if you guys aren't worried about it, I won't either. If it shows again, I'll be dutiful and let you know. I am presuming it's on your side, and not mine; since it reproduces on multiple systems and has been experienced by another soul outside of my ISP.

SquirrelHollow

• Crew
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
I was able to post one reply to the thread that previously gave the error.
Whether or not that means it's fixed, I don't know...
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
I was able to post one reply to the thread that previously gave the error.
Whether or not that means it's fixed, I don't know...

Did you notice that the URL of the error looked like?  Did it contain a long string of random characters? If it happens again. can you copy it and paste it here?
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 01:09:17 AM »
I'm getting the error again, this time when trying to respond to the Traincat Brass Items thread. I noticed further down in this section, several other people reported this 403 error in another post back before Xmas. Just sayin...

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 12:21:53 AM »
  I'm getting the same error tonight trying to post.

When I took the emojis out, it posted OK
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:24:59 AM by rodsup9000 »
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 02:00:11 AM »
  I'm getting the same error tonight trying to post.

When I took the emojis out, it posted OK
Hmmm . . . that reminded me of some earlier troubleshooting.  When you are composing your message which view are you using?  The one which shows emojis as plain text codes or as graphics?
. . . 42 . . .

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
Hmmm . . . that reminded me of some earlier troubleshooting.  When you are composing your message which view are you using?  The one which shows emojis as plain text codes or as graphics?

graphics
Rodney

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »
A 403 error will happen every now and again (for a variety of reasons)...but a 403 error due to an odd random string is something different.  Are these computers behind a firewall with some odd rewrite rule?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 03:24:11 PM »

graphics

Not trying to step over Tom's a$$hat, but I seem to recall when this problem was being diagnosed in the past, it seemed to occur when the message was being composed in the graphic mode.  But that was mainly when we were troubleshooting random text size changes.

Next time this happens to you observe and report (copy/paste) the URL you see in your browser when the error occurs , and post it here.
Normally you should see something like this:
Code: [Select]
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?action=post;board=11.0
But you might see something like this:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?action=post;2746fde74625ab376af76453ae73board=11.0
Also, instead of deleting the emojis, just toggle the view to display the code (not graphics), then try to post.

The graphics/codes toggle button is in the lower row of buttons, all the way on the right.  It shows a blue cursor arrow enclosed in a pair of red square brackets.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:26:29 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
 I'll do that if it happens again, Pete

Thanks

Rodney

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 02:28:29 AM »
Hmm, I've never used the Toggle View button, but I can consistently generate a 403 error with it as follows: first type in the code example:

What say he?  :?

where the last bit is the code for the 'huh' emoji.  If I Preview this, I see the text with the emoji at the end.  If I then highlight (select) the code (including the emoji bit) and click the Toggle View button I see the emoji in the edit pane (it's a wysiwyg editor).  If I then Preview that, I get a 403 error with the following unremarkable URL:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?action=post2;start=25;board=11

If I then use the browser back arrow (Chrome on a Mac) to see the edit pane again, I see the following code that was produced by the wysiwyg editor:

I had to take a screen grab of this text because even if I wrapped it in code tags, it still gave me a 403 error.  I'm not sure which of the qualifiers is causing a resource violation, but there you go.  There does seem to be a bug in the SMF wysiwyg editor.  Here is a thread in another SMF forum that illustrates how this editor was generating the bizarre text sizing that @sirenwerks sometimes sees in his posts.

Bottom line: don't use the wysiwyg editor (Toggle View button), just use Preview.