Author Topic: Buffer stop question  (Read 1550 times)

rva1945

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Buffer stop question
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:02:37 PM »
Hi:

I will add buffer stops to the yard. It is an American yard belonging to D&RGW. Diesels run here.

Which one of these (picture) should work?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mRVBfYCNU5X0LCquhdt-eeTxGA6tPVtn

Thanks

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
Re: Buffer stop question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
If its only a choice between those 2, the 1 on the right.. But anything can be a track stop in the US.. Track Tie across the rails, Pile of ballast rock would be more realistic.
~Ian

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »
+1
I don't know a bit about the DRGW so keep that in mind with everything that follows.

@learmoia has a few good examples. Nothing might work, but one probably wouldn't find it in a yard. Tomar makes Hayes style wheel stops out of metal. In a previous life, we used Aldon rail stops supplemented by the standard 16 foot square pile of gravel (look at UP standard drawing 0030C for an example). I don't know of anyone that makes Aldon style; I made some a while back on Shapeways but I don't recall if I've got them up for sale at all. Probably not.

I have not seen any stops or bumper posts of the style you depict. If you go here: http://www.westernsafety.com/products/aldon2012/aldon2012pg5.html you'll find examples of common car stops in the states.

Sam

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:54:41 AM »
European "buffer stops" won't work well with American couplers.  Any stop has to be able to transfer the impact to an immovable object, usually the ground.  Buffer stops do that by having the post and brace line up (more or less) with the buffers.  Wheel stops transfer the impact to the rail.  An American coupler is in the center of the car, so the bracing has to be in the center as well.  Both of the European styles pictured would probably break the first time a coupler hit the middle of the boards.

I've never seen one, but a wooden bumper could be built, with a post in the center of the track, a heavy diagonal brace behind that, and a large block of wood for the coupler to butt against.  More likely the railroad would use a steel bumper, made of rail and I-beams, and bolted to the track..  Most wooden end-of-track devices I've seen a simply a pile of ties nailed or bolted together.
N Kalanaga
Be well

lajmdlr

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
Here's a bumper on the Los Angeles Junction Ry (Vernon CA). Note it also has wheel stops in front of it. Both types are very common in the US, just not together. Someone must have almost had a whoopsie! US RRs also use a pile of dirt & ties under on rail & over the other to stop errant freight cars..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:17:52 PM by lajmdlr »
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ Modeler

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 01:44:48 AM »
Andy:  That's the style I was thinking of.  Walthers made them in N scale, and I assume someone does in HO.
N Kalanaga
Be well

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
You can always build your own. I built some in H0 a few of years ago. Here I describe how:

http://threeyardsyard.blogspot.com/2012/11/building-bumpers.html

http://threeyardsyard.blogspot.com/2012/12/bumpers-done.html
Lennart

lajmdlr

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 11:19:36 PM »
+1
Andy:  That's the style I was thinking of.  Walthers made them in N scale, and I assume someone does in HO.

My HO bumpers were from Walthers 933-3511 & Peco SL-8340.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ Modeler