Author Topic: Paint Equivalents for Pollyscale  (Read 1650 times)

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Paint Equivalents for Pollyscale
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:42:17 PM »
Hi All: Happy Holildays!

I'm starting on a locomotive painting project, but unfortunately the color information I have specifies Pollyscale BAR Grey and Reefer Orange, but I don't have them and can't find them.

Can anyone direct me to a listing of Pollyscale equivalents in acrylics and/or laquers? I have a LHS which carries Tamiya, TruColor, Scale coat and Model Masters, so these would be the best options, but anything would be appreciated.

Thanks! Joel

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
Re: Paint Equivalents for Pollyscale
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »
Hi Joel,

I've got a bottle of each if you want them.  They are left over from previous projects, so just let me know via PM.  Just pay the shipping of you're choice and I'll send them out.

Cheers,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
There are lots of model paint comparison paint charts on the web, Floquil to whatever and visa versa.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »
^^ Here's an example from Joe Fugate, hosted on the Testors site of all place:

https://www.testors.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/Testors/ebook/MRH-Acrylic-painting-guide-post-Floquil-Portrait.ashx

Colour charts are in ch. 2.  I've switched to Vallejo paint, since that's what my LHS stocks.  I've been very happy with it.

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 06:57:38 AM »
^^ Here's an example from Joe Fugate, hosted on the Testors site of all place:

https://www.testors.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/Testors/ebook/MRH-Acrylic-painting-guide-post-Floquil-Portrait.ashx

Colour charts are in ch. 2.  I've switched to Vallejo paint, since that's what my LHS stocks.  I've been very happy with it.

That's a great resource, thanks Gary!

Brian
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »
Rod: Yes, there are. But after spending an hour looking for one, I thought this might be more efficient. 

Gary: I found that site during my initial search, but it would not load (crashed my browser each time I tried to load it) and continues to do so tonight. 

Brian: Very generous, thank you.

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 06:44:51 AM »
Hi Brian: Not sure if my last email went through. Are you Master Seargent Brian? I think you are because I believe you told me you like to fly and your sign off "Cheers".
Thanks, Joel

Hi Joel,

Duh, I didn't put two and two together from the original message  ;)  The bottles I have were used for the couple of NYO&W engines I did a few years ago.  They are well traveled, that's for sure (Germany->Reno->Richmond, VA->Washington D.C.).

I'll drop them in the mail today, so you'll have them for future projects if they don't make it by Friday. 

I'm still a LTC for the next two months and then expect my promotion sequence number to come up on March 1st for pinning on Colonel.   :D

Yep, love to fly.  Just sold our Bonanza and will be buying a light twin next month so I can continue to build hours.   I'm looking at flying for the regional's or a cargo company when I finally retire from the Army in summer of 2022 after 28 years.  Need three years at O6 pay to retire with the high three.   

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:12:27 AM by John »

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 12:07:01 PM »
Thanks, all.  I tried a different browser, and was able to download the Fugate pdf. I'm good.  Happy Holidays to all! Joel

PRR1950

• Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
+1
I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but I want any future readers to know that a newer version (with corrections and additions) of Joe Fugate's paint color comparison document linked above exists.  It is free to download from the Model Railroad Hobbyist website if you just register to receive their free monthly magazine.  You don't have to be a subscriber to their larger edition to download this update.

Chuck