Author Topic: Dual action airbrush and tank compressor suggestions?  (Read 7451 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1251
Re: Dual action airbrush and tank compressor suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2019, 06:44:54 AM »
This was my latest purchase:
https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-2020-2F-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/

Dual action, gravity fed airbrush with extremely fine tip.

The price is a really, really good deal. This is a weathering brush. Great for exhaust, dust, fade and other very thin pigments used in thin layers sparingly. Great with india ink.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2019, 08:09:02 AM »
Daniel, your setup looks like a dental office with all those "contraptions" connected to hoses/lines.  :D

Nice setup!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4665
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »
I have seen photos of your painting area in the past Daniel - very impressive!  Good  to see Badger represented here (other than my lowly model 200).  :)

I like mine because like I said, I don't do weathering (maybe I'll start someday), and I just use it as a mini spray-gun (which is what the 200 is perfect for).  I have used double-action airbrushes in friend's workshops (when working on their layouts,and even doing some weathering of their stuff), so I'm familiar with how they work.  I also did buy a Badger Anthem (?) dual action airbrush when they were dumping them at Michael's for really short money (IIRC, around $40).  I have it put away until I have a need for dual action.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3214
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »
+1
What I really like about the dual action is the ability to blow in a painted area to dry it a little bit for a touch up coat on the fly, like if I sprayed too lightly in one pass.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1251
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2019, 09:03:26 PM »
I have seen photos of your painting area in the past Daniel - very impressive!  Good  to see Badger represented here (other than my lowly model 200).  :)

I like mine because like I said, I don't do weathering (maybe I'll start someday), and I just use it as a mini spray-gun (which is what the 200 is perfect for).  I have used double-action airbrushes in friend's workshops (when working on their layouts,and even doing some weathering of their stuff), so I'm familiar with how they work.  I also did buy a Badger Anthem (?) dual action airbrush when they were dumping them at Michael's for really short money (IIRC, around $40).  I have it put away until I have a need for dual action.

The  155 Anthem is a really good brush. It would still be my daily driver had I not got such a deal on the 360. I really wonder about airbrush pricing in general. EBay Amazon and those 50% off coupons at  Michael's and  AC Moore make paying retail for a brush absurd. Maybe I'm just an opportunistic buyer. When one comes around at a steal I'll jump. I don't know if any other American tools you can get for 50-70% off with some regularity.

As for your 200... It does work well with your preferred smelly paints. Back in college I used to weather cars in my dorm room... With  Dullcote. It cause obvious health problems and I have backed away from  solvent paints since. With acrylics, you really do need a dual action if you use it a lot. This helps with tip clogging. Pull the trigger back (no air), swipe the tip with a wet q tip and carry on.

Not mentored yet here is the sand blaster. Badger has the  Air Eraser, and it is just about the only product I have used that will strip paint off resin without ruining it. Well with the price.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2019, 11:52:03 PM »
The  155 Anthem is a really good brush. It would still be my daily driver had I not got such a deal on the 360. I really wonder about airbrush pricing in general. EBay Amazon and those 50% off coupons at  Michael's and  AC Moore make paying retail for a brush absurd. Maybe I'm just an opportunistic buyer. When one comes around at a steal I'll jump. I don't know if any other American tools you can get for 50-70% off with some regularity.

As for your 200... It does work well with your preferred smelly paints. Back in college I used to weather cars in my dorm room... With  Dullcote. It cause obvious health problems and I have backed away from  solvent paints since. With acrylics, you really do need a dual action if you use it a lot. This helps with tip clogging. Pull the trigger back (no air), swipe the tip with a wet q tip and carry on.

Not mentored yet here is the sand blaster. Badger has the  Air Eraser, and it is just about the only product I have used that will strip paint off resin without ruining it. Well with the price.

Good to know that Anthem is a good airbrush.

I also have the Air Eraser.  I have used it to blast the flexible Delrin handrails for Kato locos before painting them with Accu-Paint.  It makes the paint stick *REALLY* well.
. . . 42 . . .

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
Well I impulsively picked up some Vallejo at hobby lobby thanks to a coupon. Will compare results with my enamels and let that influence any future paint purchases. It is hard to give up some spray bomb colors I like such as the rustoleum camo line but when I am through with my current stock of rustoleum, testors and floquil I want to settle on one brand of paint. The Vallejo products look quite promising. Not using as many nasty solvents would be a plus down the line.
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 07:47:23 PM »
Well I impulsively picked up some Vallejo at hobby lobby thanks to a coupon. Will compare results with my enamels and let that influence any future paint purchases. It is hard to give up some spray bomb colors I like such as the rustoleum camo line but when I am through with my current stock of rustoleum, testors and floquil I want to settle on one brand of paint. The Vallejo products look quite promising. Not using as many nasty solvents would be a plus down the line.
You will be very happy with the Vallejo paints product and yes I have used them a lot.
I did some military modeling a couple of years back and they work very well.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 11:07:54 PM »
It is hard to give up some spray bomb colors I like such as the rustoleum camo line but when I am through with my current stock of rustoleum, testors and floquil I want to settle on one brand of paint.

With the wide range of models I build, I don't think I can ever become a single-paint-brand modeler.  And I often decant spray bombs to shoot them through the airbrush.  You also seem to be into building all sorts of models. I think you will be severely limiting yourself by only using single brand (and type) of paints.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:35 PM »
With the wide range of models I build, I don't think I can ever become a single-paint-brand modeler.  And I often decant spray bombs to shoot them through the airbrush.  You also seem to be into building all sorts of models. I think you will be severely limiting yourself by only using single brand (and type) of paints.

This.

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
I guess I misstated my intent, let me clarify. The paints I have chosen before the AB were whatever I could get my hands on. Generally rustoleum bombs from Home Depot, with plenty of spray cans of dull and gloss Cote. I am quite accustomed to these and using Winsor Newton oil colors for various effects as well as pan pastels. Don’t see me giving up the Oils or pastels. However when I run out of these rustoleum colors (some of which I have incomplete models that need more of these colors applied) I would like to give some other stuff a try; namely Vallejo acrylics for general painting. If I don’t like them then it’s back to the search for general paints unless I want to use spray bombs or decant them. For instance I use rustoleum camo khaki/sand brown and black a heck of a lot. I like these colors, are they replaceable? Idk! Being new to the AB I figure some probing of other paint brands could be good. However; having not used acrylics in awhile I am unsure about 1. How well they cover, 2. If they are easy to work with including cleaning or as far as the AB goes, and 3. How they get along with say oils applied with turpentine and dullcote. I would like to be able to not buy spray bombs to decant in the future and get the couple of say red primer and rustoleum camo colors in a jar. I have seen incredible paint and weathering applications with acrylics. With the booth and respirator I am less worried about being around nasty stuff but there is always room to explore in the universe of paint. :facepalm:  now to find some rules of thumb for mixing different types of paints and solvents to prevent any unforeseen disasters. :trollface:
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:39 PM »
I didn't take you as a one brand painter. I use Tamiya a lot, I thin with the Tamiya thinners and clean air brush with Iso, that works out cheaper.
Poly scale is hard to get Down Under and forget about non acrylic paints as they not allowed to be flown in to the country.
Distributors must get it by sea which can take months.
I only use spray cans like Tamiya surface primer and of course Dullcote which can be hard to get on occasions.
Try different brands and types you will favor one or the other over time.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com