Author Topic: LONDON in June?  (Read 1000 times)

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Re: LONDON in June?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »
Jon898,

Thank you for the help on that.  I based my times on a Scottish website I look at from time to time - Nessie on the Net.  Currently shows a 6 hour time gap but I agree  most of the year it is five.  Don't know where it is right now but I forgot to mention the Flying Scotsman steam locomtive.

1 more thing - there is so much to do in London that you need to prioritize just what you want to see.   That way you have a good reason to go back!

Best regards,
Bobster

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +578
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
Thanks guys! You've got me convinced about York, now we need to work on my better half :D
I'm grateful for the suggestions and getting excited about the trip, even if it is some moths away...
Otto

jbcz

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
There is an excellent museum in Swindon that contains several examples of Great Western Railway steam locomotives and the large engine shops there.  It is a short walk from the railroad station and a large shopping mall where you can eat with a 4-6-0 locomotive.  It is a short trip from London by the fairly high speed First Great Western Railroad.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »

Otto
Line up a few LHS to look for scenic and structure kits you can't get in North America.  There is a company in England that will do a 3D scan of You and make an N Scale version....if you're really lucky to catch one of the shows they set up at....
If recall properly when you get home you'll be able to look for a 1/160 kit for the Cutty Sark....one of the small number of plastic ships where the box size scale worked out to N Scale.  Maybe for a TTrak British theme dock scene?
Charlie Vlk

Thanks for the advice Charlie, all useful. Some of the European companies do make great scenic materials and they should be easy to pack. I'll skip the Cutty though, except maybe one or two one in liquid form; I'd have a hard time sailing it in Cajon Creek, the largest body of water on my layout :D
I'm not sure I want a scale model of myself either, but it would be cool to populate the layout with some of my friends?
Kind regards,
Otto

mrhedley

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »
We were there last August after a visit to Sweden.  Good choice going in June, avoid going in August as most of mainland Europe is on holiday and many of them came to London.  It was also hot by English standards (high 80's to 90's) and most places do not have air conditioning, including many hotels.  We stayed at Doubletree Westminister.  Just a few blocks from Parliament and Westminister Abbey.  Good value and modern amenities.  No rail themed exhibits during our trip.  But I would heartily recommend the Churchill War Museum.  We flew British Airways, which means arrival and departure from Terminal 5, which resembled total chaos.  BA doesn't schedule gate arrivals until the planes arrive at the gate, which made for many passengers making mad dashes to get to their flight.  It was a wild scene at peak hours.  And the less said about the lines at Customs the better.  2 hour wait.  Otherwise it was a great getaway.   

Enjoy your trip. 

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
Thank you.

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 11:24:34 AM »
You've got me convinced about York, now we need to work on my better half :D

Otto - if your wife enjoys afternoon tea - or morning coffee and cake - you might want to try 'Betty's', www.bettys.co.uk/cafe-tea-rooms a famous cafe in the center of the city. There will be a line, but it moves fairly quickly - allow a 15 minute wait [I think that you can pre-book for some times but we just turn up and line]. Try and get onto the ground floor rather than the basement, although that is OK but no view out [and the restrooms are downstairs anyway]. Alongside the restrooms are preserved mirrors where US airmen scratched their names in WWII whilst stationed in the area.The York Minster is an astonishing medieval cathedral with 700+ year old carvings and stained glass..

There is plenty to do in York whilst you are in the Railway Museum, if she wants to split!

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
Thank you Peter, I'll be sure to check out Betty's, too.
Otto