Author Topic: Motor cogging in one direction only ???  (Read 3146 times)

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
Re: Motor cogging in one direction only ???
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 04:15:49 PM »
+1
Job done !!!
There was more grease in there than in my whole body ...
While I was there I "Beardenized" the Inside bearings , when I do that I always put a 1/8" x 1/8" square piece of Kleenex tissue at the bottom of the hexagonal holes at each end of the motor . This to prevent the play of the shafts . Easier than trying to slip the hexagonal piece of plastic .
I also reversed ( upside /down ) the Atlas DCC board to be able to solder the copper strips from the motor .
Thanks for your help .

Brushes broke in two : somebody at the plant must not know how to assemble correctly these . ( !?!?!? )

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:49:50 AM by trainforfun »
Thanks ,
Louis

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »
Job done !!!
There was more grease in there than in my ole body ...
While I was there I "Beardenized" the Inside bearings , when I do that I always put a 1/8" x 1/8" square piece of Kleenex tissue at the bottom of the hexagonal holes at each end of the motor . This to prevent the play of the shafts . Easier than trying to slip the hexagonal piece of plastic .
I also reversed ( upside /down ) the Atlas DCC board to be able to solder the copper strips from the motor .
Thanks for your help .

Brushes broke in two : somebody at the plant must not know how to assemble correctly these . ( !?!?!? )

Glad you found the issue.  I’ve never had a motor brush break in two but have had a few hang up or worn out or brush spring broken and/or overly compressed but only on old/long running hour locos.

Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 01:13:58 AM »
Same here - never encountered a brush (or two) broken in half.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 01:52:36 AM »
While you have the brushes out, if you have a wood-handled cotton swab, make sure the wood end is smooth.  Stick it in the brush hole, and turn the motor gently by hand, in both directions.  If the commutator is good, it should turn smoothly.  If it catches in either direction, one of the commutator plates is out of place, and you're probably better off buying a new motor.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 02:38:11 AM »
One of the brushes in my Con-Cor Milwaukee Road PA-1 (2nd generation) did the same thing. It broke right in half. I glued it back together with ACC and I wasn't expecting continuity but there was and it's been running since. That was quite a few years ago.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
One of the brushes in my Con-Cor Milwaukee Road PA-1 (2nd generation) did the same thing. It broke right in half. I glued it back together with ACC and I wasn't expecting continuity but there was and it's been running since. That was quite a few years ago.

Doug

That is quite something , surprise also !
Thanks ,
Louis