Author Topic: United States Sugar Corporation  (Read 586 times)

CHUCKGEO

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
United States Sugar Corporation
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
I oversaw the environmental cleanup for South Central Fruit Express, and United States Sugar Corporation short line railroads in southern Florida, Headquartered in Clewiston.  We had some intense oil & grease issues at the engine facility, and Arsenic issues where old ties had been stored or abandoned. That said, USSC under Buba Wade (VP) did an outstanding job of remediation. As the cleanup progressed over a ten year period, I was present to get some photographs of their equipment (older units purchased from Santa Fe, and newer factory bought). As I said, the main shop was in Clewiston Mill, as was a large yard, plus a second yard in Pahokee, where the former sugar mill is now a molasses facility. They lease trackage rights from CSX. Their color scheme closely follows that of Union Pacific. Their main crop is sugar cane (about 300 square miles, and they also have about 50 square miles of corn). Terrain is dead flat, with crops alternating with open fields of dark brown soil. Could make an interesting layout, with elevators (loaders) and trucking.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1793
    • Conrail 1285
Re: United States Sugar Corporation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
I've heard they also have a very sexy FEC Pacific.

CHUCKGEO

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 12:26:51 AM »
Nope

CHUCKGEO

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:41:08 PM »
You obviously are correct, as I've been retired almost two years.  For my ten plus years being associated with the cleanup I never saw a photograph of a steam locomotive in either the SCFE or USSC locomotive facilities.  As a museum type project financed by USSC, I never heard mention of it (but I was just the lowly fellow doing the grunt work. LOL).  Again, I was senior Geologist/Environmental Consultant in the Field overseeing the State acquisition of USSC property for remediation, and also participated in some of the Creosote/Arsenic issues pertaining to a former plant in DeSoto County, and removal of wooden trestles and ties along CSX line for the Kissimmee River remediation by USDA/USA COE (I loved working the train transportation projects). The oldest piece of rail equipment I ever saw was a crane at the Pahokee Yard.  As a Choo Choo fan, I took full advantage of my time near the rail operations.  However, I will definitely take a drive over when the locomotive is delivered. Thank you for the heads up.  Here's some additional photos of sugar harvesting rail equipment. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:12:17 PM by CHUCKGEO »

fire5506

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:09:57 PM »
I oversaw the environmental cleanup for South Central Fruit Express, and United States Sugar Corporation short line railroads in southern Florida, Headquartered in Clewiston.  We had some intense oil & grease issues at the engine facility, and Arsenic issues where old ties had been stored or abandoned. That said, USSC under Buba Wade (VP) did an outstanding job of remediation. As the cleanup progressed over a ten year period, I was present to get some photographs of their equipment (older units purchased from Santa Fe, and newer factory bought). As I said, the main shop was in Clewiston Mill, as was a large yard, plus a second yard in Pahokee, where the former sugar mill is now a molasses facility. They lease trackage rights from CSX. Their color scheme closely follows that of Union Pacific. Their main crop is sugar cane (about 300 square miles, and they also have about 50 square miles of corn). Terrain is dead flat, with crops alternating with open fields of dark brown soil. Could make an interesting layout, with elevators (loaders) and trucking.

It's South Central Florida Express. SCFE. They come into the Ft Pierce yard every weekday with what they call the Ft Pierce turn. I don't know if they lease the CSX side or bought it, but I know they did a lot of upgrades to the trackage. coming east they run on track they lease from the FEC.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:00:28 PM by fire5506 »
Richard looking at MP 242 while working for the FEC Rwy.

NMRA member Sunshine region

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +51
    • My train pics
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 01:00:09 AM »
What date did you shoot the SCXF 407? Curious, as I saw it in Laurel, MT., on October 14th... in the snow.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

CHUCKGEO

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
The remediation of the South Central Florida Express Locomotive Facility was conducted just prior to property acquisition by USSC. Assuming that the drip pans on the feeder tracks are welded (they appear so in photo), and run-off and rain water being piped to a new oil/water separator, I took the photo between mid 2008 and 2010 (I believe I took at least five thousand film and digital photos during the project). It was decided to cut and remove a large section of the tracks to facilitate the excavation of PAHs lost in the original drip pan configuration.  I'm trying to date photo of 407 by the tower location (the tower is out of frame and sits to the immediate left of 407, as seen in the proceeding photo taken from inside the repair shed on the same day).  The current tower location is now adjacent (due north) of the repair shed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:59:37 PM by CHUCKGEO »