Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/6/19  (Read 12329 times)

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
Re: Weekend Update 1/6/19
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
I'm just about ready to make a mold of the Northern Pacific baggage car.

Really nice work as usual Andrew. I could use one of those and it was on my short list to cast as well. Let me know if I can purchase one or trade you a casting when finished.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +653
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »
Rick:  Like MK, I can see the pictures in your album, but I see nothing in the original post, not even MK's "Do Not Enter" sign.
Could someone please educate me on what I am doing wrong. This has happened before. Some people can see my photos and others cannot.

The photos are kept in Google+ albums that are marked as "shared". I open them and use the "copy image address" drop down option to place them in railwire's "[img]"bracket pairs.

The albums, which I assume everyone can see, are from the album drop-down "copy link address", an option that is not available to the individual photos.

Am I missing something?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »
Jury's still out on whether I'm gonna build the snowshed but I'm slowly leaning more toward yes, even though it's gonna be a pain in the a$$.

@Dave V,

I'm not sure what the length of that snowshed would be on your layout, but keep repeating to yourself, "The roof will be removable, the roof will be removable, . . ."  ;)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
+1
Could someone please educate me on what I am doing wrong. This has happened before. Some people can see my photos and others cannot.

The photos are kept in Google+ albums that are marked as "shared". I open them and use the "copy image address" drop down option to place them in railwire's "[img]"bracket pairs.

The albums, which I assume everyone can see, are from the album drop-down "copy link address", an option that is not available to the individual photos.

Am I missing something?

Maybe it has to do with whether the viewer has a Google+ account and/or he or she is signed into Google.  I cannot see your photos, and I don't have a Google+ account.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
Could someone please educate me on what I am doing wrong.

For openers, using Google for photo storage when you want to share it.  They are notorious for screwing it up.  And they are eliminating Google + this summer IIRC....

Flickr still offers limited free sharable space - enough to last me the rest of my life, methinks...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »
+2
I've been working on more coaches for NS' executive fleet.

NS #12 "Indiana". I started with a Concor/Rowa coach sanded the sides down, filled in the windows, and then cut out new ones. I still need to do more work on the windows to clean and straighten them up a little more.

NS #27, the exhibit car. I started with a Rapido Osgood-Bradley coach, removed the windows and then filled in the openings with sheet styrene.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »
+1
For openers, using Google for photo storage when you want to share it.  They are notorious for screwing it up.  And they are eliminating Google + this summer IIRC....

Flickr still offers limited free sharable space - enough to last me the rest of my life, methinks...

Then there is this free photo storage (guaranteed to work for everyone), right here on TRW, for as long as TRW is active. It is called the Gallery.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »

Not sure why, but your photos show up for me when viewing this thread on my home computer, but not when viewing it on my iPad . . .

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
Maybe it has to do with whether the viewer has a Google+ account and/or he or she is signed into Google.  I cannot see your photos, and I don't have a Google+ account.

DFF

And blockers that avoid G* servers (and so called services that are trackers/ ad promoters) like the plague they are.
Yes I cannot see pix either but if a subject sufficiently interesting comes along, I occasionally turn them off___
FwIW d

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 06:26:59 PM »
And blockers that avoid G* servers (and so called services that are trackers/ ad promoters) like the plague they are. ...

Yes. It's tracking blockers. I happened to have them off yesterday and saw Rick's images just fine then, turned them on this morning and now they are not to be seen.

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 10:48:02 PM »
+11
Track has been laid and wired on the new "Whoville" Free-MoN module (Whoville until I come up with an actual name!). Installing and wiring manual Blue Point turnout controls is next, and then I can begin running some trains to test the track and make sure everything is solid and derailment-free before starting on scenery.

In the meantime, I'm playing around with building placement and working out the number of spots for each siding, etc. It's looking like about 17 spots max, with 12-15 being "comfortable." With set-outs, holds, and pickups, that should work out to 4-5 cars per job. The configuration shown in the photos is my favorite so far. While a couple of these buildings are just place-holders, their size and placement should be similar to their final counterparts. "Main Street" will cross the layout roughly in the middle with storefront buildings, etc.

As for town names, I'm considering something like "Carolton" after my wife, Carol.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:51:08 PM by cbroughton67 »
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
The second week of my Christmas/New year break has afforded some quality modelling time.  Some time ago I purchased a Jordan Spreader kit on Shapeways.  Unfortunately it arrived in a damaged condition with the top handrails broken off in several pieces.  They were not really repairable.  Fortunately, Jeff Briggs was able to salvage the model for me with a new set of handrails using HO scale etched brass stanchions and brass wire.  The result is a set of handrails better looking and stronger than the original.  He also primed the model and sanded away as much of the print artefacts as possible.

I mounted Micro-Trains trucks and couplers, detailed the cab, fabricated a new thinner cab roof from sheet styrene, and added a headlight, radio antenna, smoke jack, rear work lights, and rear brake wheel mounting.  Also a train line air hose down the front of the plow to the side of the front coupler.  I still have to add window wipers and weight, but it is otherwise ready for paint.  The front plow and side wings are just sitting in place at present, as they will need to be attached after painting:

I also finished all of the modifications and additions to the deck assemblies for my new trio of MLW RS-3s (more in the build thread), including new pilots and details:

Tim

Jordan spreader!!! Now we’re talking. The RS3s are awesome too. Keep up the good work Tim.

Craig

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 11:33:39 PM »
+5
Trying out my camera on the iPhone XS. I'm not entirely thrilled with it. The zoom lens can get into places my old phone (iPhone 6S) couldn't, but depth of field is a real problem. Thre zoom lens had an  F equivalent of 2.4. The wide angle isn't any better at 1.8. Clearly they are looking to focus on portraits and not model work.

Colors are boosted, almost comically. And I think they're is just something off about the algorithms they use.

Still no native or 3rd party focus stacking software available.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 11:43:28 PM »
But I bet it comes with a bunch of cool emojis  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 01:04:17 AM »
The good thing Dan is your fine modeling is crystal clear despite their wrong analogs . Have you tried a more distant shot the crapped it in photoshop , maybe that at least will give a better depth of field .

Richie Dost