Author Topic: New LokSound decoder coming?  (Read 5347 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: New LokSound decoder coming?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »
If they take the V4 sound files and programmer, then the hardware must be pretty similar. If the dimensions are correct, then this looks like a standardization and miniaturization push. I really like the idea of using an adapter board with a Nex18 plug. Easy to switch out decoders and you'll only ruin a wiring harness if you make a mistake. NEX18 adapter boards have been available for a while  in Germany.

If TCS was smart, they would jump on this standard as well. It would be really nice to be and to make a choice of decoders to use rather than being married to a single brand. I also see potential for adapter boards for current engines. Imagine a short PC board that mates to frame halves and motor terminals. On one side a NEX18 plug. On the other a low profile sugar cube speaker, baffle and SMD LED that would take the place of the light shield in the cab. Instant plug and play conversion of current DCC ready engines without frame modifications OR soldering.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 11:50:14 PM »
Narrower is certainly good, but I'm concerned it's still not going to be quite narrow enough.

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 03:36:00 AM »
Hey Marc
10x21mm.  Was there any size given for thickness?.
Although 9.5mm wide would have ideal this looks promising, especially for installs in small switcher locos and May also give us more room in other locos for bigger speakers too.

No thickness was mentiioned, but if it is thin, then it will only be so when using the Next18 connector as the other connections use an adapter board.

Marc

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 03:45:40 AM »
No thickness was mentiioned, but if it is thin, then it will only be so when using the Next18 connector as the other connections use an adapter board.

Marc

If it is only available with a Next18 connector, it will be difficult to use it for wired-in installs that are often required for installing decoders in small models (like N scale).  Even if there is Next18 pigtail adapter available, that will add quite a bit of thickness and overall bulk to the decoder.  Better stock up on LokSound V4.
. . . 42 . . .

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
If it is only available with a Next18 connector, it will be difficult to use it for wired-in installs that are often required for installing decoders in small models (like N scale).  Even if there is Next18 pigtail adapter available, that will add quite a bit of thickness and overall bulk to the decoder.  Better stock up on LokSound V4.

My thinking, as well.  This could really impact N-scale installs, if the adapter is bulky.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

EmdFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »
I wonder if the slide in board that has become common on hood units will be updated to V5.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:28:26 PM by EmdFan »

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
My thinking, as well.  This could really impact N-scale installs, if the adapter is bulky.

The connector is not really bulky. That is the nice part of the Next18 connector. Just check the Scaletrains tier 4.

Marc

Marc

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »
Not just the Next18, but the flex-board it is attached to, and how we then get all the wires from it. And, will still need LED resistors, etc.   Not saying this all won't work, just worried without having the physical samples to play with.

I have looked for Next18 connectors to play with... never found any available for easy ordering (may not be looking for the correct type of unit, of course)
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »
Not just the Next18, but the flex-board it is attached to, and how we then get all the wires from it. And, will still need LED resistors, etc.   Not saying this all won't work, just worried without having the physical samples to play with.

I have looked for Next18 connectors to play with... never found any available for easy ordering (may not be looking for the correct type of unit, of course)

Like this?
https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/DH-N18-K-0.html

The ESU board would be much thinner than this due to using ribbon cable. I'm thinking they may use the amber colored flex cables used in cell phone screens.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:55 PM »
Was looking for just the connector, no attached board. But that board is interesting.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N