Author Topic: It's 700mi to CO, 7 Bens in pocket, dark, wearing sunglasses  (Read 4412 times)

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
Re: It's 700mi to CO, 7 Bens in pocket, dark, wearing sunglasses
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
So, I figured I'd share a bit about the trip I took and some of the photos.  These are only the pics taken in the immediate area near Trinchera, CO.   Camera was a Powershot ELPH 330 HS.   Can't say they're my best work, but I battled light and trains that literally appear out of nowhere, moving fast, and almost guaranteed not to stop.  (and only 3 trains the entire 3-hour trip through the area)   And not to mention the capabilities of the camera.  (I know, a good tradesman never blames his tools)  So anyway, here is the album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.2080399102259057&type=3

I'm still updating the captions but wanted to go ahead and post the pics.   Hope you enjoy.  I'll also followup with some comments putting these pics in context with my quest for a trying to choose a new camera at some point.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:40:25 PM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 10:33:47 PM »
+1
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Doug

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 11:01:54 PM »
+1
The 20D would have really shined with the above photos, and I of course have now regretted getting rid of it.   But then I also have the issue mentioned by DKS.....the 20D was not the most travel worthy companion.  (and more importantly, the 20D was a bit cursed... but that's a story for another time)

Anyway, I just want to stop down and say thank you to everyone who has provided input.   I have honestly taken each one to heart and have evaluated how it fits in with the ever-growing matrix of possibilities.   It has been a good exercise, and I will continue to evaluate, save up, and wait for the right time and the right camera to converge.   I will at some point post more about my thought processes and some of the things I've learned in my research that might help others making a decision.
Doug

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
+1
Well, I have news to report...a purchase has been made.   I went with the Sony a6400 and 18-135 Lens.  I'll still go into the promised detail about the decision process at some point but wanted to update the thread.  I will say that the compact form factor, my history with Sony cameras, the class-leading AF system, and the fact that it is a recent release were keys.  Of course, I wish I had made the purchase 3 months ago, but event milestone number two is coming fast with a handful of graduation activities tied to my 18-yo stepson and 14yo son.   I had yet another windfall of train sales so I decided it was now or never.   

I had a chance to take it for a spin so I'll post a few pics.   So far I've been happy with the initial results, but keep in mind I've just been doing full-auto thus far.   Any failures in these pics is solely on me at this point.   When I get good enough to complain about the camera, I'll be sure and let everyone know.   8)

Doug

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »

Doug

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 01:10:01 AM »
Well, I have news to report...a purchase has been made.   I went with the Sony a6400 and 18-135 Lens.  I'll still go into the promised detail about the decision process at some point but wanted to update the thread.  I will say that the compact form factor, my history with Sony cameras, the class-leading AF system, and the fact that it is a recent release were keys.  Of course, I wish I had made the purchase 3 months ago, but event milestone number two is coming fast with a handful of graduation activities tied to my 18-yo stepson and 14yo son.   I had yet another windfall of train sales so I decided it was now or never.   

I had a chance to take it for a spin so I'll post a few pics.   So far I've been happy with the initial results, but keep in mind I've just been doing full-auto thus far.   Any failures in these pics is solely on me at this point.   When I get good enough to complain about the camera, I'll be sure and let everyone know.   8)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

You know, I basically live on the other side of that silo.  Are you going to the 24 hours @ Saginaw this year?  Starts Friday at 7PM until Saturday at 7PM.  Not sure how good the weather is going to be though.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
Hi John,   Yes, I plan to be out there at some point, and maybe both days.   I have a lot of "todo's" this weekend (many of which involve driving through the area) and I'm still not sure how the script is gonna play out.  I've even pondered spending the night there. (which I've done before)   Let me know when you will be out there and I'll try and look for you.   I believe we met at some point via Jeff (Rossford Yard) but I apologize as I can't recall what you look like or even if we actually did meet up...I know we were supposed to at some point but...it's been a loooong, stressful, blur of a year for me.   I'll PM you with my info.
Doug

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 08:04:19 AM »
Hi John,   Yes, I plan to be out there at some point, and maybe both days.   I have a lot of "todo's" this weekend (many of which involve driving through the area) and I'm still not sure how the script is gonna play out.  I've even pondered spending the night there. (which I've done before)   Let me know when you will be out there and I'll try and look for you.   I believe we met at some point via Jeff (Rossford Yard) but I apologize as I can't recall what you look like or even if we actually did meet up...I know we were supposed to at some point but...it's been a loooong, stressful, blur of a year for me.   I'll PM you with my info.

Hey John,

Just to follow up...   I did stop by at Saginaw a few times, but never for an extended period.   On Friday, I had to move an entire storage unit by myself and I was completely exhausted when I left Azle.  I rushed over to Saginaw as I was running out of daylight...stopped in and said hi to a few gents that I knew and was there maybe 20 minutes.  Did see a few trains during that time.  I didn't notice your reply here until I checked in on Railwire while I was there, but again just wasn't much daylight left so I figured it wouldn't be worthwhile to text then.  Dropped by on Saturday on my way to Bowie and was there less than 5 minutes...no trains.   Came back through Saturday evening after the event was over and again...almost dark and just there a few minutes....tired and ready to be home.   It was just a rushed weekend for me so my apologies for not contacting you but there just wasn't really a lot of time to burn.

I definitely want to meet up at some point.   I know Jeff has an ops session coming up for the NMRA convention so hopefully he'll have another one at some point and we can run some trains. (or maybe you're already planning to go to that ops session as part of the convention..)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:15:40 PM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »
No worries, Doug.  You did better than I did and I'm less than a mile away.  I never made it at all.  The work week just wore me out and I slept and hibernated most of the weekend.  I wondered if you were the a**hat formerly known as Denver Road Doug.  I don't remember if Jeff said that or if I was just associating "Dougs".

I was going to say for you to text or something next time you're passing through to Bowie or just going to watch trains in Saginaw.  If I'm not on call or something I'd love to spend a little time.

I'm so out of it lately I didn't know there was an NMRA convention coming up.  I haven't been a member since my college years.  I'll have to see if Jeff needs operators.  I haven't seen his layout yet.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566