Author Topic: Problems with MRC 1801 Decoder  (Read 933 times)

taholmes160

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Problems with MRC 1801 Decoder
« on: December 30, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
Good Afternoon everyone, Happy New Year:

I have an MRC 1808 sound decoder in my Kato SD90/43 MAC -- its never been all that good -- not real pleased with it.  The original lost its sound within 1 hour of getting it, took them 2 months to decide to send me a new one.  This one has been running softly, but "OK" it does not have a keep alive, and its REALLY sensitive to track conditions.  However today a new problem developed.  My Kato P40 with the 1810 decoder runs around the layout pretty well not much in the way of stopping and stuff, but the SD90, acts just like dirty track and wont stay running, except that even when sitting still and idling, the front headlight is flickering rapidly.  it does NOT have any kind of effects available or enabled for the headlight.  Im beginning to suspect a problem with this particular decoder, does anyone have any kind of suggestions or advice?

If it is indeed bad, Im going to cut my losses and replace the decoder -- probably with something from Tsunami, BUT -- I would like to hear your suggestions on a replacement decoder

Thanks

TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Problems with MRC 1801 Decoder
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
Dirty wheels (I've been surprised myself sometimes)? Also might check the axle-point contacts, I've seen things like fuzz getting into the cups.

taholmes160

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »
Hey Mike:

Thanks for the suggestion, how do I clean them?

TIM

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »
I use a paper towel with a small area moistened with contact cleaner (alcohol will also work). I'll drape it across the rails, put one end of the loco on the towel ("railed" through the towel), hold the other end gently on bare rails for power, and run it at moderate throttle for a few seconds while moving the loco back and forth through the moistened area. Swap ends and repeat. You'll be amazed by the black streaks left on the towel.

There are also commercial wheel cleaners. Woodland Scenics has one that works similarly to the towel method, and Minitrix has a wire brush gadget.

Be extra gentle when traction tires are involved, and the Minitrix cleaner is a definite no-go for traction tires.

taholmes160

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 06:27:25 PM »
Mike:

I gave the wheels a good cleaning, as well as the rails, you would not believe the amount of YUCK i got off them -- things run much better now!

Thanks you
TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »
Well, then... easy 'nuff. A lot of folks forget about the wheels, especially on newer designs with chemically-blackened wheels. There is frequently an oily residue that interferes with contact and, worse, picks-up crud.

Now you know firsthand! :)