Author Topic: ScaleTrains HO and N Amherst "pre-announcement" announcement  (Read 17234 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7953
    • Conrail 1285
Re: ScaleTrains HO and N Amherst "pre-announcement" announcement
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Thats EXACTLY what N-scale needs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another SD40-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

Given how many of them were (and still ARE) out there, it's not as crazy as it seems. I mean, how many SD70 versions do we have?

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2019, 06:14:27 PM »
Not sure I understand the point of the SD70 comparison, Ed.  (How many proto versions or N scale versions?)

Nobody would be suggesting that Scale Trains should do another SD40-2 if IM and BLI had hit it out of the park.    Hate to say it, but IM just seems to lack the expertise to produce an Atlas or Kato quality model in terms of both shell and mech.  (One big problem is they keep relying on the worst ever N scale six-axle truck design, by Atlas.  Dead horse, I know.)    Lots of great ambition and features that look great on paper.  Actually, to be fair, if they had just tooled a new truck then their entry would be so much better.  As for BLI, well, let's just not go there...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:15:58 PM by jagged ben »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2019, 06:29:23 PM »
+1
Not sure I understand the point of the SD70 comparison, Ed.  (How many proto versions or N scale versions?)

Nobody would be suggesting that Scale Trains should do another SD40-2 if IM and BLI had hit it out of the park.    Hate to say it, but IM just seems to lack the expertise to produce an Atlas or Kato quality model in terms of both shell and mech.  (One big problem is they keep relying on the worst ever N scale six-axle truck design, by Atlas.  Dead horse, I know.)    Lots of great ambition and features that look great on paper.  Actually, to be fair, if they had just tooled a new truck then their entry would be so much better.  As for BLI, well, let's just not go there...

The sad thing is that modelers will buy all of those inferior-design models, which means that the manufacturers will think that they are doing great, and keep producing more of those sub-par models.  Or those sub-par models have poorly performing mechanism, but have well-made shells with lots of free-standing doo-hickies everybody seems to be pining for.  So the model sells well. Or maybe modelers are  so starved for models that they aren't really voting with their wallets.  Or they buy those inferior models just to support manufacturer's N scale efforts, thinking that if a manufacturer gets burned on one model, they will get out of N scale?    It is a crazy world out there, but it's still good to be in N scale.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2019, 11:20:49 PM »
Given how many of them were (and still ARE) out there, it's not as crazy as it seems. I mean, how many SD70 versions do we have?
It is when they could venture into other eras and expand the hobby. Think about all of you Pennsy modelers. ALMOST everyone started backdating their eras when all of the steam started coming out. Its just nuts that we dont get models that would help expand potential eras, regions, and railroads.

imagine if we had milwaukee electrics, santa fe steam, and so on.

Hell, Northern Pacific has more plastic ready to run prototypical steam with the Z8 challenger than the damned santa fe! ya know, that one railroad that every mfg slapped on the side of models to get them to sell back in the day!! lol

Drasko
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 04:36:12 AM »
I wouldn't call the IM SD40-2 poor. It's better than the Atlas SD50/60/M in detail. Yes they have goofy trucks but that's a minimal retooling. And the newer trucks do seem to run better.

I get that it doesn't have frame detail, but neither did the vast majority of the engines from Atlas and other manufacturers.

Would ST make a better SD40-2? Probably. But their GEVO had sound issues. So there may be a trade off there.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
Hell, Northern Pacific has more plastic ready to run prototypical steam with the Z8 challenger than the damned santa fe! ya know, that one railroad that every mfg slapped on the side of models to get them to sell back in the day!!
What is the prototype for this model of steam loco that has Santa Fe "slapped on the side" of it?

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2019, 03:52:20 PM »

santa fe! ya know, that one railroad that every mfg slapped on the side of models to get them to sell back in the day!! lol

Only if it had a war bonnet, no one wanted a plain Jane engine.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2019, 05:25:10 PM »
What is the prototype for this model of steam loco that has Santa Fe "slapped on the side" of it?

I really hope you're not serious...........
I guess if we're using that logic, bachmann didn't need to bring out the K4 since minitrix did 40 years ago right?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:38:32 PM by draskouasshat »
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2019, 07:08:37 PM »
I really hope you're not serious...........
If you don't buy it, the manufacturer will just assume that there is no market demand for Santa Fe steam loco models.

I guess if we're using that logic, bachmann didn't need to bring out the K4 since minitrix did 40 years ago right?
Were you expecting otherwise from a company based in Philadelphia?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:56 PM »
Quote from: Point353
If you don't buy it, the manufacturer will just assume that there is no market demand for Santa Fe steam loco models.

Given that the model has been in production for 40 years with various updates, it seems safe to assume they have figured out that there is a market even for a second rate Santa Fe steam loco.  Imagine the market for a 1st rate version.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2019, 08:21:19 PM »
Given that the model has been in production for 40 years with various updates, it seems safe to assume they have figured out that there is a market even for a second rate Santa Fe steam loco.  Imagine the market for a 1st rate version.
Given that it took Rapido Trains to make the determination that there was a market for a "1st rate version" of the TurboTrain, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Bachmann to come to the same realization for their Santa Fe steam loco. BLI would seem to be a more likely prospect, considering that they've already released one in HO scale.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2019, 10:43:12 PM »
+1
In my humble opinion, the ATSF 3776/2900 class Northern is a victim of its prototype's early day fame, and Bachmann. It was a magnificent locomotive and was (logically) one of the first US steam locomotives produced in N scale. Unfortunately, the model was a POS, aesthetically, mechanically, electrically. I know, I bought some, forty plus years ago. Bachmann "upgraded" this model at least four times, but it is still godawful, particularly the shell. Similar fate befell the Santa Fe caboose (way car). It was an early model, done poorly by several manufacturers, but because it's "been done already" it's never been done right since. Intermountain  announced them many years ago, but produced only the modernized version, not the classic one.

The 2926 group in New Mexico/Albuquerque is close to finishing  the restoration of ATSF 2926 4-8-4, and should have her in running condition in the near future. They've done a magnificent job so far, and she will be stunning. Bachmann should take this opportunity to bite the bullet and do the 3776/2900 class from scratch. I don't see anyone else taking that on, but hope I'm wrong. BLI may look at the smaller, lighter 3751 class they did in HO, (and the 3800 class 2-10-2?) and that would be welcome news too.

It's been said that manufacturers can slap a big "SANTA FE" on a loaf of bread and it will sell. It's seems ironic that none of them will slap the same lettering on a genuine model of the heaviest, baddest and arguably most amazing Northern built anywhere. I did say arguably, pics below.
Otto K. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:58:50 PM by Cajonpassfan »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 12:29:48 AM »
In my humble opinion, the ATSF 3776/2900 class Northern is a victim of its prototype's early day fame, and Bachmann. It was a magnificent locomotive and was (logically) one of the first US steam locomotives produced in N scale. Unfortunately, the model was a POS, aesthetically, mechanically, electrically. I know, I bought some, forty plus years ago. Bachmann "upgraded" this model at least four times, but it is still godawful, particularly the shell. Similar fate befell the Santa Fe caboose (way car). It was an early model, done poorly by several manufacturers, but because it's "been done already" it's never been done right since. Intermountain  announced them many years ago, but produced only the modernized version, not the classic one.

That is an interesting take on those models. Can someone explain to me why model manufacturers keep on duplicating their efforts and producing multiple versions of several locos and rolling stock (F-units, and such), and yet there was only a single model of the ATSF Northern, and few poorly rendered models of ATSF caboose produced?  After all, Santa Fe and UP are also probably the two most popular roadnames in N scale.
. . . 42 . . .

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2019, 02:25:18 AM »
That is an interesting take on those models. Can someone explain to me why model manufacturers keep on duplicating their efforts and producing multiple versions of several locos and rolling stock (F-units, and such), and yet there was only a single model of the ATSF Northern, and few poorly rendered models of ATSF caboose produced?  After all, Santa Fe and UP are also probably the two most popular roadnames in N scale.

THIS!!!! I can't understand how the model railroad manufacturers don't realise that tooling a quality ATSF 37XX or 29XX Northern would be instant pay dirt. I model Tehachapi in 1999, and I'd still shell out serious dollars for a quality ATSF 3751 with sound (I have a Key Brass model in need of serious upgrades), and it would be hard to resist 2926 as well.

Kato have clearly done well with 4449 and 844. Athearn have done well with 3985 and now 4014. Both manufacturers have made the early series locos as well. This is a no brainer.

But instead we get another tooling of the NW2. Meh.
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2019, 08:33:49 AM »
THIS!!!! I can't understand how the model railroad manufacturers don't realise that tooling a quality ATSF 37XX or 29XX Northern would be instant pay dirt. I model Tehachapi in 1999, and I'd still shell out serious dollars for a quality ATSF 3751 with sound (I have a Key Brass model in need of serious upgrades), and it would be hard to resist 2926 as well.

Kato have clearly done well with 4449 and 844. Athearn have done well with 3985 and now 4014. Both manufacturers have made the early series locos as well. This is a no brainer.

But instead we get another tooling of the NW2. Meh.
I can say the same thing about a quality ATSF 37XX or 29XX Northern. MEH.  I will purchase a couple NW2s if BLI produces any in the 5 railroads that I model.