Author Topic: Does Xylene resuscitate original Floquil?  (Read 3196 times)

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: Does Xylene resuscitate original Floquil?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »
I got some straight acetone from work, intending to use it as styrene cement.  It didn't seem to do anything.  It does take lettering off freight cars, when used on a cotton swab, but the paint damage means it's only usable if repainting the car.

If it will work as a thinner for Floquil I'll have a use for it.  My can of Dio-Sol seems to have evaporated over the last 40 years.

Thanks for that info. That means my pint can of Dio-Sol has another 10 years of shelf life.  Great.
Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »
The MRH paint guide has the equivalents for UP Light Orange below; as an alternative to poisons?

But those "poisons" are so much easier to work with, and they smell so sweet!  Until those "good" paints are banned you won't see me ever airbrushing water-based acrylics. Yuck!  :)
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 12:43:01 AM »
MEK sounds like a good glue, but no more than I use, I'll stick with the Testor's cement.  A bottle lasts me a year or so, and I have several in storage.  Unopened, they seem to last forever.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 12:49:42 AM »
MEK sounds like a good glue, but no more than I use, I'll stick with the Testor's cement.  A bottle lasts me a year or so, and I have several in storage.  Unopened, they seem to last forever.

Testors liquid cement *IS* MEK (look at the label).  :)
 Assuming that you mean either the square glass bottle (older version), or the Floquil-style round glass bottle with red or purple (?) label (the newer version).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:51:16 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 12:51:40 AM »
+1
I used to use about 3-4 of those Testors bottles a year. Bought a gallon of MEK and I keep re-filling those small bottles. Just used some today.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 05:16:58 AM »
I used to use about 3-4 of those Testors bottles a year. Bought a gallon of MEK and I keep re-filling those small bottles. Just used some today.

This.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 12:40:25 AM »
Peteski:  I never looked at it, so am not surprised.  What I meant was that "It isn't worth buying a gallon of MEK, as I use so little glue.", not that I was somehow against using MEK.

Actually, my bottle says "Contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone".  I assume there's something else in it as well, if for no other reason than the odor.  I doubt that MEK by itself smells that bad...
N Kalanaga
Be well

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 01:06:34 AM »
Peteski:  I never looked at it, so am not surprised.  What I meant was that "It isn't worth buying a gallon of MEK, as I use so little glue.", not that I was somehow against using MEK.

Actually, my bottle says "Contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone".  I assume there's something else in it as well, if for no other reason than the odor.  I doubt that MEK by itself smells that bad...

It is MEK.  At least the active ingredient is.  It's also used as a primer for PVC pipe fittings and was the primary solvent in PVC cement, the balance being PVC.  At least was when I was involved in that business. :)
Mark G.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 02:06:23 AM »
So "PVC cement" is actually a form of highly thinned "filler putty", rather than just cement?

The last PVC pipe I dealt with was a repair on our sewer line, and I glued it together with hardware store Seal-All.  It's held for 22 years so far.   
N Kalanaga
Be well

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »
So "PVC cement" is actually a form of highly thinned "filler putty", rather than just cement?

Yes. It's quite thick, with the consistency of molasses, the idea being to seal gaps which are prevalent given the dry joints aren't necessarily tight.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 12:56:36 AM »
Sort of like the tube cement modelers used to avoid?
N Kalanaga
Be well

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
Now that I'm 3D printing things with ALS plastic, which does not accept superglue readily, I've found a new use for the tube cement. I also like it when I am sticking small things to a painted surface, for example a small radar to a pilot house. I don't have to hold it in position nearly as long and, if it balances like small radars do, barely more than a few seconds. I remember getting glue and glue fingerprints all over a model when I was a child; the solution is to put a small spot of the stuff on a scrap of metal foil and use a toothpick or microbrush to apply or just dip the end of a piece into the blob. I do this with superglue and white glue also and have an entire series of old paint brushes to apply the MEK based formula.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 12:30:02 AM »
OK, maybe the tube cement was just 50 years ahead of its time!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 06:10:37 AM »
12:23

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 07:31:19 AM »
12:23

/>

Oh man, that's sooo me... "I don't use that much... I'm just paranoid about running out of what I use."