Author Topic: Help Kato F40PH problem - N Scale  (Read 2494 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: Help Kato F40PH problem - N Scale
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
I installed the Kato cab decoder a few months ago and it has been working perfectly, knock on wood!  I do remember that it was a PAIN to get it in there.  It was very tight and you swear you were going to break something.  And then you wonder if you go it between the contacts correctly.  Maybe it didn't go all the way in perfectly for you?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »
No, it once worked perfectly.  Ever since I built my daughter's layout and pulled the trainset out of storage, it just has acted quirky.  At one point, the reverse lights only worked in every other speed step on the throttle.  Now, the reverse lights either don't work at all, or don't change between the different forward and reverse lights.  Like I wrote before, I'll try finagling that decoder to see if it's still seated properly.  I looked at it several weeks ago, and it looks like it is still properly in place.  Once I install the decoder in the new trainset that I bought her for this Christmas, I'll be reminded about how all of this goes together and will be better able to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,
DFF

EDIT: I just remembered the variable between before and after storage.  My old layout was a Digitrax system, and my daughter's layout is NCE.  I don't know that has anything to do with it (I don't own the Digitrax system anymore), but it is the only obvious change, unless the decoder has gone defective.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:06:22 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 04:24:11 PM »
+1
No, it once worked perfectly.  Ever since I built my daughter's layout and pulled the trainset out of storage, it just has acted quirky.  At one point, the reverse lights only worked in every other speed step on the throttle.  Now, the reverse lights either don't work at all, or don't change between the different forward and reverse lights.  Like I wrote before, I'll try finagling that decoder to see if it's still seated properly.  I looked at it several weeks ago, and it looks like it is still properly in place.  Once I install the decoder in the new trainset that I bought her for this Christmas, I'll be reminded about how all of this goes together and will be better able to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,
DFF

EDIT: I just remembered the variable between before and after storage.  My old layout was a Digitrax system, and my daughter's layout is NCE.  I don't know that has anything to do with it (I don't own the Digitrax system anymore), but it is the only obvious change, unless the decoder has gone defective.

That behavior is caused by a speed step setting mismatch between the DCC system and decoder. I'm talking about 14 steps vs. 28/128 mismatch. Make sure that the command station and the decoder are set for the same # of steps. Check the DCC system settign, and also the speed step bit in CV29 of the decoder.
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
That behavior is caused by a speed step setting mismatch between the DCC system and decoder. I'm talking about 14 steps vs. 28/128 mismatch. Make sure that the command station and the decoder are set for the same # of steps. Check the DCC system settign, and also the speed step bit in CV29 of the decoder.

I recall that we discussed this issue in Aly's thread last year when I first mentioned the problem.  But, I will admit that I understand CVs (especially CV29) a little better than I did last year, so I will look into this again.

Thanks,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
I recall that we discussed this issue in Aly's thread last year when I first mentioned the problem.  But, I will admit that I understand CVs (especially CV29) a little better than I did last year, so I will look into this again.

Thanks,
DFF

Just google "cv29 calculator" and few will pop right up. Digitrax has one on their website.  That way you wont' have to deal with bits and binary to decimal conversion.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 08:07:30 PM »

Any ideas what I should be looking at ?

Look at the two long braas strips that pick up track power. Make sure that you wrapped the proper area where the motor strips cross it. Use only one layer of Kapton tape and wrap it around the strips so that the continuous side is on the outside edge of the strips. The joint will be toward the center of the engine. This assures that the motor tabs will not contact the sides of those long brass strips. BTW, you can swap the side for side to get the orientation right.

Martin Myers