Author Topic: Hunt for a lost McKeen ... in Japan? (Japanese Speaker Sought)  (Read 1403 times)

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
I'm part of a small group trying to solve a mystery... the hunt for the lost McKeen... actually two twins. 

Specifically Los Angeles & San Diego Beach Railway cars:

c/n     blt              Arrived          Owner              #          weight  length   seats    Engine

016    - –/1907     20 Mar 1908   LA & SDB         #1        30.5T     55'2"    75   200hp Gas Engine             

018    - –/1907      2 Apr 1908    LA & SDB         #2        30.5T     55'2"    75   200hp Gas Engine           

Some sources claims the were "retired by 1917".  Others "disposed around 1914".  But really their final disposal is very murky.  One source claims they were stored then scrapped.  But it just doesn't make since that a line decidedly thin on motive power (and very much in debt) would scrap these cars given there was a fair after market for them second hand.  While we continuing our hunt for extremely limited details on the later days of this San Diego based line, for all practical purposes, we may have read a dead end.

But we have recently found several tips that all point to the East;  Japan specifically.  Contemporary notes that a LA & SDB steam engine and later some rail was bought used from this line and sent to Japan.  Another article suggests a steamer "Colorado Springs" left San Diego in 1919 with a LA & SDB locomotive and 6,000 lb of rail bound for Japan.  And finally, an entirely separate anecdotal report recently came to us of a now deceased American who used to tell the story of seeing a 55' McKeen in post war Occupied Japan.  The rub is that according to the fairly well documented consensus production lists, no McKeen was ever sold new or operated used in Japan.  The linear of most is well known - especially among the 55 footer subsets - to this small rabid fan base.    But these hints seem to now be our most promising lead. 

We know it is not much to go on.  We don't have clear dates or region of operation.  But we thought we might see if we can recruit a fellow railfan who is also a speaker and writer of the Japanese who can assist us with communicating with Japan archives. 

If interested, please PM me for more details!  Domo arigato!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +911
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
Re: Hunt for a lost McKeen ... in Japan? (Japanese Speaker Sought)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 01:02:38 AM »
I assume you've seen the photo of SP#7 riding on the boat/barge in the ocean?

~Ian

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
The equipment in question if it went to Japan it was most likely scrap metal.  Japan was industrializing with US oil and raw materials. 

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
Your best bet would to join trainorders.com and ask there. There is a member there that frequents Japan and speaks fluent Japanese with the handle cchan006 who might be your best bet as he goes to some of the more remote stuff that Japan has.

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
@learmoia

Yes, Ian.  I've seen that pic.  I've also seen attribution claiming it to be "SP McKeen Car #7 was on its way to Coos Bay from San Francisco on the SS Adeline Smith in this December, 1913 photo."
Seems to be some dispute on the accuracy of the date. 

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
I know that this isn't the one that you're looking for, but I found this car on the Casa Grande museum page

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
Thx @johnb  That one seems to be SP's #45.  Blt 1910 and used til 1939, when it was convert for use as a paint shop in Roseville.

As a follow up, we can now confirm that one of our two target McKeen's didn't make it to Japan, but we are now fairly sure it was somehow sold to the UP and briefly was it's 1st M-18. 

We've still found no UP or LA&SDB records to confirm this sale, nor any UP rosters the detail.  But wreck reports provide extensive - and grisly - documentation.  On Oct. 16, 1915, some 15 persons were killed and many were injured when a motor train on the Union Pacific Railroad plunged down an embankment near Randolph, Kan. A washout of the Fancy Creek caused the accident.  Government investigation records detail the McKeen builder number which matches that of LA&SDB #2.  Small spotting elements on wreck images match the LA&SDB #2.  The UP later replaced it, their 2nd M-18, with a larger McKeen. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/randolph-kansas-train-wreck-railroad-1801055183

No details yet to report on our search for the LA&SDB #1.