Author Topic: The FA-1 / FB-1 Locomotive is Back  (Read 17542 times)

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: The FA-1 / FB-1 Locomotive is Back
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2018, 07:51:55 AM »
Oh man, I remember the STACKS of GN FA sets we were blowing out for $49.99 back when I worked at Kleins. I think those alone paid my salary that year.

Yea, thanks. I bought a couple of sets. They're darn good runners, too.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
Great news, especially for you the eastern guys. I'm a bit surprised no Uncle Pete's 1600's...

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »
I'm recalling the LL version had the wrong number board style for UP, as does the artwork representing the upcoming Atlas release. Maybe it's a pipedream, but could no UP release this time portend a corrected version down the line? Maybe?

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
I would assume run #2 would have GN, SP&S & UP.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 09:02:32 PM »
Most likely the prices on the secondary market for the LL FAs will start to plummet, so this will be a good time for modelers of the LL roads released previously to pick up some extras for shell-swapping onto the new mechanisms.

just wondering if there is confirmation that the old LL shells will fit on the new chasis...specifically the sound Gold chasis?  I have a LL B unit that I have done some work on that I would like to slip the new Atlas chasis into.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

North Bank Road

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 09:32:44 PM »
I too would hope that the SP&S is in the future mix. LL did the FA2 of which they only had two sets total! Never did the FA1s of which there were many. Early version as this is a tough scheme to paint. Definitely would purchase more than two......  And love the sound of those Alcos!

Thank you Atlas

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM »
I'm recalling the LL version had the wrong number board style for UP, as does the artwork representing the upcoming Atlas release. Maybe it's a pipedream, but could no UP release this time portend a corrected version down the line? Maybe?

I believe that Miniatures by Eric has those number boards available, if you are willing to graft detail parts.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
I plan to use KATO PA numberboards purchased years ago for this purpose.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 12:07:38 AM »
just wondering if there is confirmation that the old LL shells will fit on the new chasis...specifically the sound Gold chasis?  I have a LL B unit that I have done some work on that I would like to slip the new Atlas chasis into.

I'm told the LL shells should drop fit unaltered onto the new chassis, but Atlas won't know for certain until the pilot models roll in.  It will be the same body tooling utilized, so I would think that any possible fitting efforts of the LL bodies to the Atlas mechanism would be minor.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »
+1
And the Heavy Haulers of N Trak return!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

DMetz

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
That brings up a concern I have about these units for larger consists.  Will they have a large capaciter set, or some other "keep alive" type system?  I have struggled with a pair of BLI sound PAs, where they cut out whenever they hit a bit of dirty track, or a loose joiner track on an N Track layout.  The cure is to have spotless track, and remove all problems.  But that is less realistic on an N Track layout.  My solution was to perminately wire the pickups of the two PAs together.  I could not find an electrical connection that I liked, or could hide without milling the loco frame.  It works great, and they never cut out or restart the sound sustem.  But I am limited to only running these together, and back to back.  And any changes to an individual decoder setting involves cutting and soldering a wire.  The new Atlas FAs have a smaller wheelbase, and fewer wheels for pickup.  If I have an ABBA lashup of all sound units, with it become a nightmare of each sound system restarting all of the time?  Does anyone here have experience with a larger lashup of Atlas gold locos? 

Dan

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
Depends upon how much of the frame gets carved away to allow installation of a decoder and speaker.

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2018, 12:02:57 PM »
+6

It is something we are looking into.  We have to figure out if the tooling is arranged so the large number boards can be molded, so we held back any name that has the large boards in case it is possible.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »
That brings up a concern I have about these units for larger consists.  Will they have a large capaciter set, or some other "keep alive" type system ?I have struggled with a pair of BLI sound PAs, where they cut out whenever they hit a bit of dirty track, or a loose joiner track on an N Track layout.  The cure is to have spotless track, and remove all problems.  But that is less realistic on an N Track layout.  My solution was to perminately wire the pickups of the two PAs together.  I could not find an electrical connection that I liked, or could hide without milling the loco frame.  It works great, and they never cut out or restart the sound sustem.  But I am limited to only running these together, and back to back.  And any changes to an individual decoder setting involves cutting and soldering a wire....

Dan

Thread drift.... with apologies.
Dan, how did you manage to connect the BLI PA locos electrically? I have a similar issue but can't find any soldering tabs on the board and the frame is insulated.

Hopefully Atlas will have addressed the electrical cutout issue. Even the newer BLI four axle F's, for all their faults, are much less prone to sound cutting out than their Paragon 2 PA's.
Otto K.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:11:50 PM by Cajonpassfan »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
It is something we are looking into.  We have to figure out if the tooling is arranged so the large number boards can be molded, so we held back any name that has the large boards in case it is possible.

Thanks, Paul.

Truth is I could handle this in the detailing aftermarket (as some have indicated). However, the number of "minor" projects here on the bench is totally out of control (and will outlive me), so anything I don't have to mess with to be closer to modeling objectives is highly appreciated.