Author Topic: Build your own (cheap) LED tester  (Read 2894 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Build your own (cheap) LED tester
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 05:47:31 AM »
As I see it mine is sweet and simple. Simple go-no-go and polarity check.  :)  David's is also sweet, but a wee more complex.

I think the aspect of the simplicity here might refer to its operation, as opposed to the complexity of the device itself. And on that note, even though they are straightforward in design, they're quite time-consuming to build, with lots of parts to assemble, so they might not have an attractive price if I made them for sale.

mighalpern

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
David:
would you happen to have a parts list available for  those interested and could try .
I would also like to know where the case and the decal came from.

Thanks
Miguel

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 07:17:51 AM »
+1
David:
would you happen to have a parts list available for  those interested and could try .
I would also like to know where the case and the decal came from.

Thanks
Miguel

The wiring diagram is the parts list. My unit is compact because I used miniature rotary switches (I think from DigiKey)--a wide range of equivalent parts would work and also be a lot cheaper.

The case is an electronics parts box I bought online. It was a long time ago, so I don't recall exactly what box I used or where I got it; IIRC, it was eBay.

I made the label myself using a vector drawing program (CorelDraw), printed it on self-adhesive label paper, and protected it with clear laminating film.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:22:28 AM by David K. Smith »

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »
Dave I like this and will probably build one myself but I would like to know wattage you used for your resistors?

Thanks, Jon

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 05:24:06 PM »
Dave I like this and will probably build one myself but I would like to know wattage you used for your resistors?

Thanks, Jon

1/2 watt. Mostly so I could run motors as well as LEDs. If only the latter, 1/4 watt would be more than adequate.