Author Topic: BLI USRA 2-8-2  (Read 14264 times)

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Re: BLI USRA 2-8-2
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
Well, if they will do a C&O k2 or K3 with all the accoutrement's on the front, I'd be in for one or two.

k27463

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
I think BLI read the market well...  As has been mentioned, the Kato Mike is long out of production and it's not the easiest DCC install out there.

A USRA Mike with DCC and sound that can be painted in almost every road out there will have broader appeal than anything Pennsy.  Yeah, I know, not everyone loves their decoder choice, but the fact that it works in DC with their DC sound system again makes it more likely to appeal to a broad audience.

I personally think it's a good call.

Kinda where I'm at.  I have a Kato, but as an early run the pilot truck is kinda wonky, the gauge on all the wheels appears to be off (ramps over Atlas turnouts), and it's the only loco I've yet encountered that intimidates me in regards to DCC.

If BLI's going to make something, a generic loco that could fit many layouts shouldn't be a bad thing.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
The Kato Mikado is the gold standard of steam.  I am not sure why BLI would want to produce this model, I can get Kato Mikados for $60-80 and add my own DCC.

To add DCC, what I do is put the decoder in the front headlight position.  Then again, I am using GHQ shells, so the shell is easy to get on and off.  Not sure how easy it would be with the standard Kato shell.

The BLI Model will probably retail around $200.  For that price, I can pick up two Kato Mikados and do my own kitbashing!

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »
+1
To add to my earlier comment, what we really need is a heavy 2-10-2 mechanism.  Something that can be easily kitbashed to a 2-10-4 or a 2-10-0.  I know the Con-Cor ones from years ago are out there, but the proportions are out of whack.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1781
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
+2
I see the merits of this since the Kato engine is out of production.

But if they only offer it with their Rolling Thunder pre-installed, I'd hate it.  Even people with DCC may not like it.  Back to the same tired mantra: We don't want to pay for something we don't want.  If you like your own decoder type and sound speaker, you won't like being tagged for extra $$$ for something you will have to gut and replace.   Same problem if you only run DC.

They should at least offer it with the decoder and sound left out as a lower-priced option.
Otherwise, onward with the used Kato engines. 

People have come across the fiddly problems from early-run Kato 2-8-2's (wheel flanges too big, driver pickup not working).  But those were addressed in later runs.  Once you have those addressed, it is really REALLY hard to beat the performance of a Kato Mikado.  I remotor mine with coreless gearmotors, but that is just adding some expensive caviar to an expensive bottle of champagne.  In other words, the champagne by itself is still pretty darn good.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
But if they only offer it with their Rolling Thunder pre-installed, I'd hate it.  Even people with DCC may not like it.  Back to the same tired mantra: We don't want to pay for something we don't want.  If you like your own decoder type and sound speaker, you won't like being tagged for extra $$$ for something you will have to gut and replace.   Same problem if you only run DC.
If Ken is at the next Springfield show, I'll try to look into one of his ears and see if any daylight is visible because my past suggestion for BLI to also offer DC/DCC-ready versions of their locos does seem to have gone in one ear and out the other.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
+3
I see the merits of this since the Kato engine is out of production.

They should at least offer it with the decoder and sound left out as a lower-priced option.
Otherwise, onward with the used Kato engines. 

People have come across the fiddly problems from early-run Kato 2-8-2's (wheel flanges too big, driver pickup not working).  But those were addressed in later runs.  Once you have those addressed, it is really REALLY hard to beat the performance of a Kato Mikado.  I remotor mine with coreless gearmotors, but that is just adding some expensive caviar to an expensive bottle of champagne.  In other words, the champagne by itself is still pretty darn good.

I agree Max.  The Kato Mikado is such a great mechanism, it is almost impossible to beat it.  And for kitbashers, the Kato Mike to me is the best starting point simply because the mechanism and gearing is so good on it.  I too have replaced the stock motor on some of mine with a coreless gearmotor for extra pulling capability, but even with the stock motor, they are great performers.  It simply can't be beat, especially for between $60-90 on the used market.

BLI's philosophy (except for the Blueline locos they ran years ago) is to include all of the DCC decoder and sound in one package.  The problem is that there are much better motor decoders out there to use, plus I am not a huge fan of sound.  So, for a street price of around $200, I have to rip out the stock decoder and perform surgery, when I can pick up a Kato Mikado and add a great motor and decoder for less.  Seems like a no brainer to me, Kato Mikado all the way.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
+1
Tender on the 2-8-2 looks pretty short. I mean you can diss their products all you want but at least they manufactor and bring models to market which many of us will gladly buy and run.

I might pass on the USRA mikado but if they Pennsy it up I'll be down for a few L1's.

I've yet to encounter a BLI N-scale model that didn't have operating issues. A lot of those issues are of course caused by their trying to use HO decoders in N-Scale engines.
The M1s came close to being good, but they draw too much current, and the darned things have worse sound quality  than an EE-8-B field phone.
Combine all that with the way Ken likes to treat potential N-Scale customers, and the stock car debacle, I cannot support BLI.

If Ken is at the next Springfield show, I'll try to look into one of his ears and see if any daylight is visible because my past suggestion for BLI to also offer DC/DCC-ready versions of their locos does seem to have gone in one ear and out the other.

I brought that up with him once before. In no uncertain terms I was told that such a thing will never happen.
To paraphrase, Ken told me that they know what's best for N-Scale, and that we either like it the way they make it, or we get a different hobby. In his eyes, people that don't want DCC/Sound are just cheapskates that shouldn't be model railroaders.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 05:19:35 PM »
The Kato is an awesome runner, but it lacks pulling power (traction). I will look for these specs in the BLI Mike.

Even with the wicked-easily installed traction tire upgrade?  Kato offered that update few times, so there should still be some available out there.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1781
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
Even with the wicked-easily installed traction tire upgrade?  Kato offered that update few times, so there should still be some available out there.

There are lots of those around.  They regularly come up on eBay for anywhere from $12 to $15, as I'm sure you know.  That tire + some weight are a must, but then it pulls well.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
The parts department at Kato USA has them available - for the moment.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
Union Pacific had 2 classes of MacAuthors in the 2400 , and 2500 series . It would be nice if BLI sold parts as will .

Richie Dost

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
+3
I've yet to encounter a BLI N-scale model that didn't have operating issues. A lot of those issues are of course caused by their trying to use HO decoders in N-Scale engines.
The M1s came close to being good, but they draw too much current, and the darned things have worse sound quality  than an EE-8-B field phone.
Combine all that with the way Ken likes to treat potential N-Scale customers, and the stock car debacle, I cannot support BLI.

Well I`ll have to disagree with your statement that all BLI models have operating issues and since you said you don`t buy any new BLI models I`ll take your option with a large grain of salt.

Never had an issue with Ken but compared to Camden & Amboy Models, BLI is providing great pennsy models.

There are lots of those around.  They regularly come up on eBay for anywhere from $12 to $15, as I'm sure you know.  That tire + some weight are a must, but then it pulls well.

Completely agree, the Kato Mikado with a traction tire and some extra weight is a great puller.

I really can`t blame BLI from doing a 2-8-2 its been awhile since Kato produced the 2-8-2 and it`s a model most modelers would pick up.
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »
No doubt Kato's 2-8-2 is a runner. No matter whether you like DCC, now how to install it in a challenging loco, which it is a challenge, the fact of the matter is Kato releases the model infrequently and almost always in one or two schemes of a very few railroads. The old MP/MRC Mikado in the same boat with releases yet have done a few more roads. I think there is a market for a broader release of a locomotive that was used on a lot of road. If BLI is going to release several roads, add in road specific details and hopefully different tender versions, then there certainly is a market for them. They will likely sell well either way,

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »
+9
I think you guys complaining about BLI's DCC/Sound philosophy.

BLI sees itself as an innovator in the model railroad sound arena.
They then develop products around those innovations that generally appeal to their sensibilities, but the sound stuff is #1.

Think about all the stuff they've released. They put sound first and the packaging around it second. It's a model that they've applied to engines, freight cars accessories and shoes.

From their point of view, asking them for something without their Sound and DCC is like asking Tesla for a car with a gas engine.

It may not be the right perspective for them to have, and doesn't mirror their perception by hobbyists, but I think it IS the perspective that they DO have.

Some folks are lucky that that perspective gives them models they want (PRR big steam fans), some aren't (PRR small steam fans).

They're obviously seeing enough success with this business model to continue doing it, and I don't think any amount of complaining to them will change it.

If you do want to help them see things in a way that aligns with your point of view, merely complaining (or worse, insulting them) isn't going to help.