Author Topic: Need 8-bit Digitrax .SPJ profile for Amtrak P42  (Read 1575 times)

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
Need 8-bit Digitrax .SPJ profile for Amtrak P42
« on: August 19, 2019, 04:36:24 PM »
I have a Digitrax SDN144K0A 8-bit sound decoder installed in my N scale Kato P42. While trying to update the sounds via SoundLoader last night, I accidentally erased the sound profile from the decoder memory, and the backup file I had was actually different version.

Does anyone here have an 8-bit .SPJ file for this decoder with P42 sounds? Also, my version had the GE "Whoop!" compressor sound (very important!) as part of the profile. Some of the other P42 profiles don't have that.

Failing that, does anyone know how to extract .WAV files from an .SPJ profile?
Under the streets of Los Angeles

stevoblue

• Respect: +6
Re: Need 8-bit Digitrax .SPJ profile for Amtrak P42
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 12:12:57 AM »
I did the same thing and ended upusing the the C44-9 sound project. They have the same prime mover.I can't hear the whoop though.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 01:06:15 AM »
I have almost zero experience with Digitrax sound decoders. Why can't you just download the file from Digitrax website (or ask their tech support to provide that file)?   Or if that sound file came from a 3rd party, contact whoever created that file to give you another copy.
. . . 42 . . .

MetroRedLine

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 01:25:02 AM »
I have almost zero experience with Digitrax sound decoders. Why can't you just download the file from Digitrax website (or ask their tech support to provide that file)?   Or if that sound file came from a 3rd party, contact whoever created that file to give you another copy.

Unfortunately the P42 .SPJ is only meant for the more recent 16-bit sound decoders (of which none exist for the N scale form factor - thanks for nothing Digitrax), and mine is an older 8-bit. Not only are the files not compatible, but the 16-bit versions are too large (3+MB) in terms of data size to fit on the limited space of my decoder (around 512K). So there's that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 02:23:54 AM »
Unfortunately the P42 .SPJ is only meant for the more recent 16-bit sound decoders (of which none exist for the N scale form factor - thanks for nothing Digitrax), and mine is an older 8-bit. Not only are the files not compatible, but the 16-bit versions are too large (3+MB) in terms of data size to fit on the limited space of my decoder (around 512K). So there's that.

I guess I'm confused. I thought you originally mentioned that your 8-bit decoder in that P42 loco already had the correct sound uploaded in it, but you accidentally erased it, so now you are looking for that same 8-bit sound file to re-upload it to the decoder.
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
+1
PM me an email address.  John McMasters, the Digitrax Sound Wizard created a P42 8-bit sound file and sent it to a fellow on 4/15/2019.  I have it and can send it to you.  Unfortunately, he never up loaded it to the AnPRR Group io files.

If you are a member of the AnPRR Groups.IO group, then it's message https://groups.io/g/AnPRR/message/202  Attachment HN3_3chnl_x4_p42.zip

Anybody using Digitrax sound decoders should be a member of John's group.  Join at https://groups.io/g/AnPRR
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

MetroRedLine

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
PM me an email address.  John McMasters, the Digitrax Sound Wizard created a P42 8-bit sound file and sent it to a fellow on 4/15/2019.  I have it and can send it to you.  Unfortunately, he never up loaded it to the AnPRR Group io files.

If you are a member of the AnPRR Groups.IO group, then it's message https://groups.io/g/AnPRR/message/202  Attachment HN3_3chnl_x4_p42.zip

Anybody using Digitrax sound decoders should be a member of John's group.  Join at https://groups.io/g/AnPRR

Thanks! I believe my file was made by John, he made a few versions circa 2012-2013 as he was experimenting with the notching. He's posted links to the 8-bit P42 file on the Digitrax Sound Yahoo group I'm on, but they were Google Drive links that are now expired. Will PM you soon.