Author Topic: FDM State of the Art Is Improving, Too  (Read 1983 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
FDM State of the Art Is Improving, Too
« on: December 07, 2018, 02:23:44 PM »
+4
A friend has STL files from a structure project I have been working on for a couple of years, the original digital files from the author of a Model Railroader article about 3D printing. The article project was HO. Here are Craig's latest renditions of the iconic UP Kelso station in N:

This is in his printer's medium res/fast setting. That he is able to do the entire building in a single print is amazing. We're going to try higher res on the roof tiles to see if we are "there" yet, but if not, he has a new printer in the works with smaller nozzles. I have work to do on artwork for the (many) windows, but it is great that "the other" 3D printing method has also come a long ways, too.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: FDM State of the Art Is Improving, Too
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 03:08:05 PM »
In a single print?  That is amazing.

That said, if you can't get the roof tiles "there," why not just print the core of the structure and then apply scale roof tiles, siding, and details?

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
Holy crap! You did it!

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »
+1
  Nice looking print, Mike. How log did it take to print, guessing about 15 to 20 hours or more.  If he goes with a .2 nozzle, it will double the print time.

3 or 4 years ago, I set one of my 200mm cube printers with a .2 mm nozzle and can print down to 50 micron layers. I get awesome prints out of it, but it still needs to be calibrated better for even better prints. I get a lot of stringing and the layers are too visible for my liking for buildings. I use it making windows and door parts for the laser cut buildings and it great for that. Then I use one of the big 300 cube for printing foundations. I have a 2 small buildings that are built around a core that was printed on one of the big ones. I probably need to update some of the software, as I'm still using what was available back when I built them 6 or 7 years ago.   
 In the first photo, you can see the windows and in the building just to the left, you can see the foundation printed with the steps at the door.

Here is another one you can see the printed foundation. this building is basically three structures build together as one, as if it started out as one and was built onto twice. (I need to go take a better photo of this building).

Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
Holy crap! You did it!

I can take credit for nothing, John. I regenerated the STL files from the 123D Design source files and it was Craig who joined the two separate files on his own without my assistance. I was flabbergasted when he showed me the pictures of the progress this past Thanksgiving weekend.

It's actually a bit of inspiration for me to buy a decent filament printer since most of my upcoming challenges are going to be structures to populate the layout. From his results it's really clear FDM is now up to the task, though I will say there is obviously a great deal of process mastery at work.

Nice looking print, Mike. How long did it take to print, guessing about 15 to 20 hours or more.  If he goes with a .2 nozzle, it will double the print time. ...

He didn't say other than inferring it took a while. I need to go back to the artwork and add the kitchen on the back, now that I have reference photos.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »
I wonder what the time/result comparison would be, from start of CAD to ready to paint FDM printed building, and from start of CAD to assembly of craft cutter styrene buildings. 

For sure, the FDM building would be great for background structures.  I would also like to see interiors 'build' in popularity; FDM printers would be perfect for that. 

I imagine printing stackable storys, with walls and furnature all printed in place.  Each story is open topped for easy painting.  The underside of the floor could even have channels and mounts for interior lighting of the story below.  Then the exterior building just slides over the interior parts like a sleeve. 
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:57:55 AM »
from start of CAD to assembly of craft cutter styrene buildings.
  I would also like to see interiors 'build' in popularity; FDM printers would be perfect for that. 

I have a corner structure that I printed, that I was going to use as a bank that has a full interior. The roof was a separate piece. It somewhere here and if I run across it sometime soon, I'll post some pics of it.  I have printed a lot of interior pieces like shelving, desks, table and chairs. Then there is a lot of things on the file sharing sites, like thingiverse that could be used instead of drawing everything up. I think it was on thingiverse that has a set of files for the interiors of DPM buildings. I'll see if I can find them and post the link.

I know that I spend a lot of time drawing stuff to cut out on the laser. Then do a trial cut and fit, and back to CAD to tweak. It may take 2 or 3 or more times of this, before I get what I like. So the amount of time spent is a big venerable, as I'm sure, you already know that.
Rodney

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
+1
...  I would also like to see interiors 'build' in popularity; FDM printers would be perfect for that. 

I expect to do that.  All sorts of interior details are now possible, 8) I think hope. :)  And a town monument. :D 

Anybody have any good figure sources?
Mark G.

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 03:41:16 PM »
:)  And a town monument. :D 

Anybody have any good figure sources?

If you look hard enough, I'm sure you'll find something that will work for you on thingiverse for a monument. 

I have about 20 to 25 people booked marked from thingiverse.  Here is a start. I start with a standing man and scale it to somewhere about 10mm high (for N scale) in slicer. Then the others I add them to slicer and scale using slicer, using the standing man for a size template.

file:///D:/Web%20Pages%20Book%20Marks/People/Standing%20figure%20of%20young%20woman%20by%20thowe%20-%20Thingiverse.htm

file:///D:/Web%20Pages%20Book%20Marks/People/Tony%20Buser%20by%20fredini%20-%20Thingiverse.htm

file:///D:/Web%20Pages%20Book%20Marks/People/Town%20People%20by%20ringmaster%20-%20Thingiverse.htm

Rodney

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
Rod, the links you posted are to files on your own computer - that won't work here.
. . . 42 . . .

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
+1
Rodney

rodsup9000

• Crew