Author Topic: President Bush Special - What KATO cars would it take?  (Read 3559 times)

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
President Bush Special - What KATO cars would it take?
« on: December 07, 2018, 03:11:11 AM »
With today's special train lead by UP #4141 for President Bush, I started looking at the consist and what cars exist in Kato's inventory (previous runs).
I'm no passenger car expert. Below is my first shot at it. It looks like there are three new car types needed. The rest have either been done exactly or need a new name.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Car TypeNameNumberNew/ExistingExisting Set?Position
Powern/a2066NewNew type #11
Dome Diner   City of Portland   8008   Existing   Kato 7-car Excursion   2
Dome Lounge   City of San Francisco   9009   New   New type #2   3
Dome Lounge   Harriman   9004   New   New type #2   6
Dome Lounge   Walter Dean   9005   New   New type #2   10
Diner   Overland   302   Existing   I believe this design in "Set B" #6956 CNW   7
Diner   City of Denver   5011   Existing   I believe this design in "Set B" #6956 CNW   9
Deluxe Sleeper   Portola   1610   New   New type #3   8
Business   Kenefick   119   Existing   Kato 7-car Excursion   11
Business   Lone Star   101   Existing   (similar to Kenefick in Kato 7-car excursion)   5
Baggage   Council Bluffs   5769   Existing   (similar to Promontory in Kato 7-car excursion)   4

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
Re: President Bush Special - What KATO cars would it take?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 08:43:31 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Kato doesn't release a semi-foobie train themselves.

The most obvious 'new' car is the power car.

~Ian
~Ian

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »
It would make a lot of sense for them to release a set with the 4141. Adding 9096 should be easy too as I think they just created the tooling for that SD70ACe version.
Would be nice to get at least the 2066 power car since it's such a unique design.
Also the Dome Lounge has three representatives in this train. I already have the 7 car excursion set but I'd buy an 11 car set anyway if they had at least these 2 new car types...all 3 would be ideal.

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »
Associated Press video taken on Thursday, December 6, 2018 in Navasota, Texas and posted on YouTube; a birds-eye-view of former President George H W Bush's funeral train.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
For the baggage they would have to replaces the trucks since Council Bluff has 4 wheels per truck instead of 6. They would also need to modified the dome lounges from the COLA to the later mid-train config.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
Kato will do it for you and make gobs O money . The sooner they do it the more sales they will make . If the come out with a what they have set now AND promise to back fill at extra cost the special cars to complete the set within 2 years they will even make more money .

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
Kato will do it for you and make gobs O money . The sooner they do it the more sales they will make . If the come out with a what they have set now AND promise to back fill at extra cost the special cars to complete the set within 2 years they will even make more money .

*WILL DO IT*?  And you know this for a reliable Kato USA informant?   :)

While a train set would be nice, I think saying that they will is a bit premature (as President Bush used to say) at this juncture.
. . . 42 . . .

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
I'm not looking to make it myself and I can wait for the development cycle for a few new cars. I'm curious what Kato would need to do to recreate the train as close as feasible.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
Good catch on the 2 vs 3 axle truck. I haven't looked at the design, hopefully it's common design that can be used from a different car.

UP moved the dome on those 3 cars from one end to the middle? I hadn't noticed that. It would be a new car anyway.

For the baggage they would have to replaces the trucks since Council Bluff has 4 wheels per truck instead of 6. They would also need to modified the dome lounges from the COLA to the later mid-train config.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »
*WILL DO IT*?  And you know this for a reliable Kato USA informant?   :)

While a train set would be nice, I think saying that they will is a bit premature (as President Bush used to say) at this juncture.

Just a guess . Fame , fortune , they could even do limited edition numbered sets in a display box with a clear cover so you don't have to bother touching them at all . Add a pamphlet and what you have is a collector item .

Richie Dost

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »
Honestly surprised they didn't use 1943 as the second engine.

That said, I looked to see what a 4141 was going for on the Bay ($400) and then I went to my FB feed there was a post from Kato announcing they were re-releasing 4141 and 1943.  Better luck next time.  LOL
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 11:45:39 PM »
+1
I too thought that UP would combine 4141 AND 1943 for the train and seeing the 1943 bring the total 21 passenger cars down I thought this was going to happen. I spoke to a UP employee at Old Town Spring only about 2 miles from the departure area of the Westfield auto Yard, that they used 1943 to make 2 practice runs with a single auto rack and the business car Arden(stationed in Spring's LLoyd yard). Another railfan who showed up late to see the locos a couple of days BEFORE the train left found them running a practice motorcade at the auto yard. A second passenger train left about an hour BEFORE the funeral train ran with the other 10 cars for other staff and dignitaries with just regular UP locos on the front. It was a media circus, I was at the wye in Spring with about 5000 other people, I even saw a girl reach out and touch the train as it went by, An officer also saw this and had words with her! Per the UP employee the 1943 was stationed just north of College Station in case of a failure on the 4141 since it had not run in such a long time. Another nice touch was that UP asked for Ex-Navy UP employees to run the train, both engineer and conductor were ex-Navy the engineer was a female! My hats off to the Union Pacific Railroad for such a fine show and the Texas A&M university as well, it would be hard to top the show we saw yesterday!
                                                                                                               Gordon Bliss
                                                                                                              Santa Fe-All the Way

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 12:05:57 AM »
Good catch on the 2 vs 3 axle truck. I haven't looked at the design, hopefully it's common design that can be used from a different car.

UP moved the dome on those 3 cars from one end to the middle? I hadn't noticed that. It would be a new car anyway.

Kato makes the 4 axle trucks so that not a an issue for the storage mail, same truck as the dome diner and lounge.

No the domes are still in front.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »
Good that it wouldn't take a new truck design.

So what material changes to the dome would it take? Can you clarify what you mean here...
"They would also need to modified the dome lounges from the COLA to the later mid-train config"

Kato makes the 4 axle trucks so that not a an issue for the storage mail, same truck as the dome diner and lounge.

No the domes are still in front.