Author Topic: Can laptop PC be successfully used for running CAD software?  (Read 3755 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Can laptop PC be successfully used for running CAD software?
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
I don't buy new computer hardware and I'm not planning on it. But if I wanted to run some serious CAD software will a laptop's hardware have enough power/capability to run it?  I'm thinking (and hoping) that one of the slightly older high performance gaming laptops (like Dell/Alienware maybe?) will be powerful enough to handle CAD software.  Ideas?
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Can laptop PC be successfully used for running CAD software?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:51:08 PM »
Probably depends on the software.

Jason

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
FWIW, I had a Dell semi-high-end laptop from 5-6 years ago, and it ran SketchUp with no problem. But SketchUp isn't exactly a full-blown CAD app, so this may be apples and oranges.  Obviously YMMV.

BTW, what's your objection to getting a desktop? Price/performance ratio only increases every day, so there could be bargains galore to be had. About the time I ditched the laptop, I got a high-end HP tower, and it'll handle anything I throw at it. Very glad I did.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
FWIW, I had a Dell semi-high-end laptop from 5-6 years ago, and it ran SketchUp with no problem. But SketchUp isn't exactly a full-blown CAD app, so this may be apples and oranges.  Obviously YMMV.

BTW, what's your objection to getting a desktop? Price/performance ratio only increases every day, so there could be bargains galore to be had. About the time I ditched the laptop, I got a high-end HP tower, and it'll handle anything I throw at it. Very glad I did.

I run Sketchup 8 on an old (circa 2004) AMD Athlon 2.5GHz with 1Gb memory and Nvidia GeForce 6200 512Mb tower running XP without problems (although my drawings are simple).
Why not a tower?  I have no room for (already have a tower PC which I need to keep) it and I also really like the portability of a laptop.  Today's laptops (even not the newest generation) are quite powerful, and I'm hoping that they can handle my hobby CAD excursions.
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
Absolutely!  About 3-4 years ago I was using Dell M series laptops to run professional proprietary CAD and 3D modeling software in the dental industry.  They were behemoths compared to normal laptops of the day.  I think they had Intel i7 processors and like 20-24GB RAM.  Easily achievable without mortgaging the house now a days.

I used it to import 3D laser scanner files, CAD and solids modeling, generating STL and various files for the 3D printers and CNC machines.

A quick search shows they are now obsolete and no longer manufactured but Dell shows these as replacements.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/sf/precision-laptops

Here's a screen capture that I found online.  I can't post any of my stuff due to NDA.  That's a titanium implant bar on a jaw.

https://lmtmag.com/products/new_nobelprocera_products
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:30:17 PM by MK »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
Thanks Mike!
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3047
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
@peteski , At work I run full blown Catia and Teamcenter applications on a Dell Precision 7000 series Win 10, see MK's link.  Runs FLAWLESS (but we have an IT team dedicated to automatic updates, etc. 

I can tell you the three most important things:  SSD (can be as small as 128 gig if you don't overload it with apps), Graphics card and driver, and most important, memory.  As much as you can fit in there.  I think we run at least 12G of memory.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
+2
But Pete wants something from the 90's.

Jason

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
...and most important, memory.  As much as you can fit in there.

This.

But Pete wants something from the 90's.

LOL!

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 05:46:24 PM »
If you find an older gaming laptop, they are usually loaded with better CPU, Graphics card and memory.. I have an older MSI Dragon 2. I7 cpu, SSD and regular HDD plus 32gb ram. Works like a champ for CAD

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
+1

I used it to import 3D laser scanner files, CAD and solids modeling, generating STL and various files for the 3D printers and CNC machines.

A quick search shows they are now obsolete and no longer manufactured but Dell shows these as replacements.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/sf/precision-laptops

Here's a screen capture that I found online.  I can't post any of my stuff due to NDA.  That's a titanium implant bar on a jaw.

https://lmtmag.com/products/new_nobelprocera_products

you probably printed my last set of  teeth :)

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
@peteski

I can tell you the three most important things:  SSD (can be as small as 128 gig if you don't overload it with apps), Graphics card and driver, and most important, memory.  As much as you can fit in there.  I think we run at least 12G of memory.

Yes toss in a SSD or a M.2 drive and as much RAM as you can fit. Old gaming laptop, Dell Precision or a HP Zbook would all fit the bill.

Modern hardware is awesome and prices keep getting better.
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
Would you believe I've never used a laptop in my life.   :facepalm:  Heck I've only visibly seen 2. (both at work)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »
Would you believe I've never used a laptop in my life.   :facepalm:  Heck I've only visibly seen 2. (both at work)

Think of your smart phone as a laptop. The line between laptops, tablets, phablets, and smart phones is getting really blurred.  :)  Laptop is a portable computer, and so are all those other devices.
. . . 42 . . .