Author Topic: 3D Printed 6 Dome Tank Car  (Read 6307 times)

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
Re: 3D Printed 6 Dome Tank Car
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
+1
There were 1, 3, 4 and 6 dome wine tank cars. The most 'popular' seems to have been Roma Wines, but in addition to Gibson there were also Victor, Fruit Ind., Ambrose, Chateau Martin, Musolino, Foppiano, Gallo, Petri Bros., National Dist., Madera, and Yosemite Wine Assoc among others as well as the unlettered fleet cars. Most all either wore the reporting marks of ACFX, CDLX, GATX, NATX, or SHPX. I've slowly been writing an article on them that I may actually try to finish now that there is some interest. I would post more pictures but my files seem to be too large and I can't u/l them to Railwire and would rather work more on the article than shrink photos. Check out the pictures at the Protocraft website since he has most of the Gibson photos that I've seen.

As for did they actually ship wine: yes they did, but not the wine we now know. 'Fine' wine didn't come into vogue until the 1960's. Previous it that it was a cheap sweet wine that they would 'fortify' with additional alcohol (usually brandy) to act as a preservative. The high alcohol content of the wine made it a cheap drunk (hence the term 'wino'). Sometimes the wine wouldn't be fortified until it arrived in the mid west or east coast in which case the wine was closer to grape juice during the trip.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
Mark, LMK when the wine tanks are ready to purchase...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
Mark, LMK when the wine tanks are ready to purchase...

If someone sends me one of these printed tank cars I can begin to design the decals (for the black and silver versions). I can't promise when they will be ready though.  They will be printed on my Alps printer, with both silver and white colors accurately represented.
. . . 42 . . .

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »
Will do, though it may be a while.  I need to re-design the dome, almost from scratch, to make post-print assembly a snap (literally).  I'll definitely let you both know once they're ready.
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:53 PM »
+1
Will do, though it may be a while.  I need to re-design the dome, almost from scratch, to make post-print assembly a snap (literally).  I'll definitely let you both know once they're ready.

Don't rush on my account. I'm juggling more projects than I have fingers on both of my hands.   :)  I just wanted to let you guys know that I committed to doing the decals.
. . . 42 . . .

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »
BTW: Chanp used to do decals in HO for the 6 dome tank cars...they had NATX/Ambrose Wine, NATX/North American and GATX/Roma Wine and I can scan the art from their freight car lettering book if anyone wants it

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 11:11:28 PM »
+1
I found it!  Here's the photo that re-ignited my drive for getting the Six Dome car printing again!
Just barely caught in frame on the left there, pulled by a cab forward with a lovely mix of freight.

https://i.imgur.com/iYfT74J.jpg

I'm not quite sure on the location.  I believe the original post mention Yuba Pass or Emigrant Gap.  I can't say I recognize that big rock slab from my may trips on the California Zephyr though.   The right side looks very much like many places along the Truckee River. 

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 07:11:32 AM »
Cool picture.. looks like it is being pushed by something else (not a cab forward).  Notice the smoke stack is against a freight car with no tender between

~Ian
~Ian

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »
+1
Man, you got some really fine detail on these cars! I keep breaking the vents off of the domes trying to put the handrail around the tank (not a complaint at all, just my big fingers). Mark does some spectacular work!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
+1
I found it!  Here's the photo that re-ignited my drive for getting the Six Dome car printing again!
Just barely caught in frame on the left there, pulled by a cab forward with a lovely mix of freight.

https://i.imgur.com/iYfT74J.jpg

I'm not quite sure on the location.  I believe the original post mention Yuba Pass or Emigrant Gap.  I can't say I recognize that big rock slab from my may trips on the California Zephyr though.   The right side looks very much like many places along the Truckee River.

I “knew” I saw that scene  somewhere before. Here it is again: [ Guests cannot view attachments ] Westbound over Soldier Summit on the D&RGW near Kyune, Utah. What an awesome display of steam generated horsepower! Not Truckee and no Cab-forwards here 8)
Otto K.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:57:48 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 11:03:32 PM »
I “knew” I saw that scene  somewhere before. Here it is again: (Attachment Link) Westbound over Soldier Summit on the D&RGW near Kyune, Utah. What an awesome display of steam generated horsepower! Not Truckee and no Cab-forwards here 8)
Otto K.

Soldier Summit!  Yep, now that I see it. 

Bummer, I was excited to re-create the old mixed freight with the 6-dome and cab forward. 
Oh well, while that particular photo was not quite as imagined, it's still a great bet that many 6-domes left California via Donner behind Cab Fowards.   8)

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »
+1
I actually painted my cars this weekend and have been finishing up on the decals. Hard part is painting the black underframe and adding weight to the cars...and not breaking off the find detail (vent pipes and steps). Soon...

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »
Awesome, can't wait to see it!

I know the first batch had some ultra thin vents, but I got you one of the '2nd Run' prints too, didn't I?  It would have the 3 Rivet seams (one spare) and a thicker vent pipes. 

I'll especially be interested in your thoughts for making painting and adding weight easier. 
I figured dropping some BBs and a few drops of thin CA down the hatches might work, though it would be tricky to keep things balanced.
Another thought is to press tungsten putty between the two 'beams' of the under frame. 

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »
That's what I did...BBs down the hatches, but the holes in the bottom allows the CA to exit the building. I do wish that the frame and the tank were two pieces: easier to add weight and paint since the frames are usually black and the tank a different color (usually silver).

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
It would have been good for the car to be designed with an allowance for easily adding a weight.  Removable end or removable panel on the bottom.
. . . 42 . . .