Author Topic: PRR T 1 Modified  (Read 1988 times)

uncljoe

• Respect: +2
PRR T 1 Modified
« on: November 30, 2018, 11:34:33 PM »
Try to figure out what the term "Modified" on PRR T 1, 5500 loco means ?

Semper Fi
 Joe

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3315
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: PRR T 1 Modified
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:07:09 AM »
Try to figure out what the term "Modified" on PRR T 1, 5500 loco means ?

Semper Fi
 Joe

It means that most of the original skirting has been cut away to help the shop gangs with maintenance work.  I don't have photos that I can upload right now, but there were three different versions of the skirting:  first version had portholes on the sides of the pilot and deep skirts that covered the top half of the drivers, second version still had the portholes in the pilot but the running board skirting was raised to expose the drivers, third version removed the portholes from the sides of the pilots in order to get at more of the front end stuff. 

This of course does not include the two prototype engines; they were different as well.

In addition to the skirting changes, the paint job on the loco changed each time they removed skirting. 

Also, they moved the Keystone number plate from down on the pilot to up on the smokebox cover somewhere in there as well.

The Broadway Limited model is the engine in it's final configuration.

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

uncljoe

• Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 01:14:50 PM »
Thank you

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
I remember some discussion, possibly in a book, suggesting that T1 had changed enough to actually be reclassified as a T1a, but that never happened.

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:24 PM »
There was a single T1 fitted with more conventional Walschaerts valve gear in the late 1940s, and that single engine was designated a T1a. The rest of the T1 engines had poppet valves because supposedly the poppet system's ability to separately control the intake and exhaust points made it more efficient, especially at high speeds (and the T1 was designed right from the get-go to be a high-speed engine)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:11:58 PM by mmagliaro »

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »
There was a single T1 fitted with more conventional Walschaerts valve gear in the late 1940s, and that single engine was designated a T1a. The rest of the T1 engines had poppet valves because supposedly the poppet system's ability to separately control the intake and exhaust points made it more efficient, especially at high speeds (and the T1 was designed right from the get-go to be a high-speed engine)
Thanks, Max!
That sounds like what I was referring to.
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:19:10 PM »

That answers my question of why I kept seeing T1 photos on the Internet with 2 different valve gears.   Thanks!
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
"Pennsy Steam A to T" by Paul D. Carleton, and its companion volume, "Pennsy Steam, A Second Look", are the best references I have ever found on PRR steam (at least as far as hard-bound books). I know the first book has a section on the T1 that discusses the T1a valve gear.

Oddly enough, this discussion made me realize that I have been missing the "second look" book for years and have no idea what happened to it! Since a used copy was on Amazon for only $16, I ordered it. 

How about that? I bought a PRR book for the first time in at least 10 years. (Just because I live in NP country now doesn't mean I am not still interested in the PRR).

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 08:34:05 PM »

How about that? I bought a PRR book for the first time in at least 10 years. (Just because I live in NP country now doesn't mean I am not still interested in the PRR).

I'm not surprised. Once PRR gets in your blood, it stays with you for a lifetime.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »
LOL to bring this full circle...back in 2009 when I was getting back in to trains, Max actually recommended that book to me (which I promptly bought!).

Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."