Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/2/18  (Read 10453 times)

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
Re: Weekend Update 12/2/18
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
+5
Went to the 42nd annual Oklahoma City Trainshow this past weekend with @samusi01 and got to run my stuff for the first time in several months on our club's NTrak layout. I finally got to run my first kitbash attempt, an SP U33C, after completing it last year. Photos by my wife.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »
I’m going to put this here, because probably a lot of people won’t see it in the DCC forum.  So, in case you ever wondered, here’s what a Keep-Alive can do for you (this is a TCS KA4):

/>
Personally, I was very pleasantly surprised.  I count about five seconds from the time the locomotive is pulled off the rails until cutout, and that’s with the motor running and the lights and sound on!

DFF

This is quite incredible ! Thanks for showing us that .
I knew it was designed to go over a spot of dirty track but that is quite a dirty long spot .
When you change the speed of the loco does it takes 16 inches to respond ?
Thanks ,
Louis

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »
Inspired by Randgust and his doodlebug repowering thread, I nearly finished my 24000 series MStL outside braced boxcar. It will be used to carry Express behind a converted troop sleeper baggage car and Doodlebug. Because the ends will be very visible in this function, I wanted to include uncoupling levers and some of the finer end details. Yet to be installed are MT True Scale couplers (and paint/decals). It started as a ConCor (Kato) old time boxcar with new ends, roof and a modified MT underframe. I had to cut the underframe, splice a section in and remove a couple of feet off the ends in order to move the wheel base out a few feet. I might also add end marker lights because in all the pics I have seen of this train, extra boxcars were always behind the baggage car, carrying the markers. The doodlebug is next!

Tom L
Wellington CO

Tom, that's a great prototype, nice job on the ends and roof. I don't suppose you made castings, did you?
(An entirely self serving question) :P
Otto

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
+4
I picked this “not working” Rapido GMD-1 with Loksond up for $100 when BLW (I think?) was closing out a bunch of odds and ends. I figured maybe I could fix it, or at worst get either a decoder and some parts or a DC loco out of it. Either one would be worth the investment.

I put it on the track and fired it up. It had sound and lighting but wouldnt move. I tried a factory reset and that didn’t help. I took the shell off to have a look for possible wiring issues and it turns out the issue was that the wires on the motor outputs were shorted. Thankfully the ESU decoders have protection built in for this. I spread the wires apart at the solder points and voila. Runs perfect.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:54:51 PM by craigolio1 »

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 09:12:40 PM »
I’m going to put this here, because probably a lot of people won’t see it in the DCC forum.  So, in case you ever wondered, here’s what a Keep-Alive can do for you (this is a TCS KA4):

/>
Personally, I was very pleasantly surprised.  I count about five seconds from the time the locomotive is pulled off the rails until cutout, and that’s with the motor running and the lights and sound on!

DFF

It's that mysterious hand again!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 09:41:51 PM »
This is quite incredible ! Thanks for showing us that .
I knew it was designed to go over a spot of dirty track but that is quite a dirty long spot .
When you change the speed of the loco does it takes 16 inches to respond ?

No, the locomotive still responds instantly, well, depending on the momentum setting.  But, that has nothing to do with the Keep-Alive, which just provides temporary electrical power for several seconds in the event of a dirty spot of track or a dead frog.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2018, 11:06:48 PM »
No, the locomotive still responds instantly, well, depending on the momentum setting.  But, that has nothing to do with the Keep-Alive, which just provides temporary electrical power for several seconds in the event of a dirty spot of track or a dead frog.

DFF

Yes, it is sort of like a short-duration backup battery for the locomotive. But if the decoder no longer receives DCC packets, it will not respond to to the throttle commands. However most decoders have a setting which will cause them to come to a stop if the DCC packets are not being received (even if they are still powered up).
. . . 42 . . .

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2018, 12:18:49 AM »
+4
Fun kit - Walthers Industry Office the Dirt City yard office. BTW Happy learned to putt...TAKE PICTURES after all these years. F stop is your friend.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:09:24 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »
I finally was able to do some train related modeling the last few weeks. Not sure of the scale, but the kids loved it. Can you believe that some towns still have parades?

Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »
I finally was able to do some train related modeling the last few weeks. Not sure of the scale, but the kids loved it. Can you believe that some towns still have parades?

Parades are a very, very big deal here in Flyover.

mrhedley

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
Went to the 42nd annual Oklahoma City Trainshow this past weekend with @samusi01 and got to run my stuff for the first time in several months on our club's NTrak layout. I finally got to run my first kitbash attempt, an SP U33C, after completing it last year. Photos by my wife.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

The shadow cast on the backdrop looks kind of ominous for a train show in Tornado Alley. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:37:01 PM by mrhedley »

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Caleb great shot. What camera and settings are you using? - We see most of them. I have a 2012 Cannon Rebel T3I. I am trying
different settings. Also which lens are you using? Also downloaded Helicon Focus 7 - Learning curve here. Some new shots with
settings I have been working on.

Hey thanks Chuck, I'm using a Canon T2I for these shots, with a Samyang 20mm f/1.8 lens. When I'm using Helicon Focus I usually shoot at around f8/f11, with a low ISO. That's the sweet spot for sharpness. Without Helicon I just go f22 to maximize depth of field.

Caleb.

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »
+2
This shot was F22 ISO 100 with 18/55 Cannon Lens. What can I improve? Lighting?

Chuck Geiger

nthusiast

• Crew
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »
+1
This shot was F22 ISO 100 with 18/55 Cannon Lens. What can I improve? Lighting?

The foreground lighting and backdrop lighting do not match. You need to flip the foreground light to the right. This should also eliminate the shadow of the phone poll. I might also try a slightly lower light angle to suggest late afternoon -- again, to match the backdrop.

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »
Thank you...
Chuck Geiger