Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/2/18  (Read 10452 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106

Richie Dost

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
Re: Weekend Update 12/2/18
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »
Ooh, I've got a possibility! The concrete ramp on the left of the photo is likely a loading ramp for end doors of the automobile boxcar. If the car was somehow 'spotted with excess velocity', it may have sheared off it's trucks as overran  the ramp and slid into the wall of the building on the right.
Moving cars with a winch and cable is a pretty common process. It is/was a common practise at grain elevators for example to load a whole string of cars without the help of a switcher.
Geoff

SandyEggoJake

• Crew
  • It's pronounced Sandy AHHH Go
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
AKA the famed SP CS "Roping Staple".

The HO guys have them as a part now, given a sweet casting Jason Hill did for his also sweet SP F-50 flat car:  http://www.owlmtmodels.com/detail_parts/detail_parts.html

Mostly out of jealously, I've measured the actual and made vector file to do a version in N scale (folded PE brass).  I know - crazy small.  Not planning to make a run any time soon - more an odd item to slap on the margin of my next PE sheet design. 

But what I really love in this photo?  Those iconic Bettendorf T-sec trucks!  Come on, @Shipsure!  Make my Christmas dreams come true! 
Pssst.... I've got a copy of the CS drawing and, of course, Kadee and others have already done a version in HO.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:37:09 PM by SandyEggoJake »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:00 PM »
+14

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
+19
This is going to be a common subject for the foreseeable future.  More work on the Missoula depot area.  I painted and added some detail to the platforms and threw a coat of paint on the depot as a base. It will eventually be finished using brick decal sheet. 

Andrew Hegstad

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
+17
This past summer, I had a project to build a delayed coker unit for my refinery so we could sell petcoke to the world, mostly overseas. This is N scale and the unit is on The SNMNS layout in Las Cruces. Here are two images I shot after completion and installation back in July.......................................

My favorite picture..............................

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:40:59 PM »

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy,
Carl

That is simply de-light-ful Carl!  :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:26:30 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
+30
Starting to get back to the layout after ignoring it over the spring and summer. I also finally purchased Helicon focus to motivate me to get all the scenery photo ready.

Helicon is a lot of fun, I'll be messing around with it some more this weekend.

Caleb.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »
+4
I pulled an all-nighter and successfully completed my first hard-wired installation of an ESU LokSound Decoder connected via a TCS motherboard.  This replaced an old QSI DCC/sound decoder, which was probably great in its day about ten years ago but horribly bad by today's standards.  The locomotive runs silky smooth, too.  And, I didn't let the magic smoke out!

What it looks like with its clothes on:

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

nthusiast

• Crew
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
+1
Starting to get back to the layout after ignoring it over the spring and summer. I also finally purchased Helicon focus to motivate me to get all the scenery photo ready.

Caleb.

That top photo fooled me -- thought it was real. Wow!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »
+2
I’m going to put this here, because probably a lot of people won’t see it in the DCC forum.  So, in case you ever wondered, here’s what a Keep-Alive can do for you (this is a TCS KA4):

/>
Personally, I was very pleasantly surprised.  I count about five seconds from the time the locomotive is pulled off the rails until cutout, and that’s with the motor running and the lights and sound on!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »

Caleb.

Question for you. The camera says you are using an F stop of 0. Manual on-lens aperture? It has the styling of a Sigma, but i know a few off brands like Samyang. I'm really curious what you are using!

If you have an iPhone, you can connect it to newer Canon cameras using the Helicon app. If you use one of the newer stepping motor equipped lenses, the app can auto shoot a stack, adjusting color levels, shutter speed, ISO and other parameters to balance the stacks. Not a big deal inside. But if doing outdoor model photography, it can be a really good tool, especially on partly cloudy days.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »
If the car was somehow 'spotted with excess velocity', it may have sheared off it's trucks as overran  the ramp and slid into the wall of the building on the right.
Geoff

No "may" about it -- that car did some real damage to the factory wall it plowed into. And obviously there are no rails anywhere in evidence in the picture.

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 05:25:54 PM »
+2
Hi
My workbench is also my work desk, so one gets priority over the other, but not this week!

Some more progress on one of my Briggs M-420s.  This will become CN 2574, which is a late version with a medium size fuel tank.  They ride on Atlas/Kato U-25B chassis' which negates the use of wires from the pick-ups and they run well.

I did try to order Micro-Scale decals for these, but the set in currently unavailable.

Cheers
Steve

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +522
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
That top photo fooled me -- thought it was real. Wow!

Thank you! the focus stacking helps a lot.

Question for you. The camera says you are using an F stop of 0. Manual on-lens aperture? It has the styling of a Sigma, but i know a few off brands like Samyang. I'm really curious what you are using!

If you have an iPhone, you can connect it to newer Canon cameras using the Helicon app. If you use one of the newer stepping motor equipped lenses, the app can auto shoot a stack, adjusting color levels, shutter speed, ISO and other parameters to balance the stacks. Not a big deal inside. But if doing outdoor model photography, it can be a really good tool, especially on partly cloudy days.

Hey Daniel. The lens is a Samyang 20mm f1.8, manual focus and aperture. I usually use it on my full frame 5D, its great for night photography especially. It has a very close focus distance, so its proving useful for layout photography as well. Thanks for the heads up on the Helicon app, I'll check that out!

Caleb.