Author Topic: New MTL underslung trucks  (Read 4365 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: New MTL underslung trucks
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
I love the idea of the low slung trucks, however I just lowered a Berwick 60' Hy cube boxcar, I didn't file down the bolsters at all, I just added Atlas/Blma trucks to the car and the wheels where contacting the metal underframe so I had to remove a lot of material with my Dremel. I don't know but some of the cars may need redesigned metal underframes.

same problem here.  it's hard to visualize this new truck without seeing it.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 11:15:35 AM »
+2
I love the idea of the low slung trucks, however I just lowered a Berwick 60' Hy cube boxcar, I didn't file down the bolsters at all, I just added Atlas/Blma trucks to the car and the wheels where contacting the metal underframe so I had to remove a lot of material with my Dremel. I don't know but some of the cars may need redesigned metal underframes.

Honestly, I hope MTL destroys the tooling for their 60' Hy Cubes. Then re-tool them without the vertical compression. I figured we'd have some correct versions of these in N scale by now (it is 2018, right?) - but so far nada. :facepalm:

Mark (running for cover!)

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
+2
Honestly, I hope MTL destroys the tooling for their 60' Hy Cubes. Then re-tool them without the vertical compression. I figured we'd have some correct versions of these in N scale by now (it is 2018, right?) - but so far nada. :facepalm:

Or convince Athearn to shrink these down to N:

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG4019

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »

same problem here.  it's hard to visualize this new truck without seeing it.

These trucks would have a shorter distance between the top of the rails and the top of the bolster arm (like BLMA), but would not have a centered bolster hole (like current MTL)

BLMA:

http://www.model160.com/wp-content/gallery/n-scale-freight-car-trucks/Roller-Bearing-70ton-ASF-BLMA.jpg

Current MTL (but without the coupler box shown in the picture):

http://www.model160.com/wp-content/gallery/n-scale-freight-car-trucks/Roller-Bearing-70ton-Symington-MTL.jpg

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »
@Shipsure, I would love to see centered bolster trucks eventually as well.

+1.

Honestly, both styles are needed, but I have much greater need personally for centered bolster holes.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 07:25:17 PM »

This is a good point, but the Berwick car needs extreme lowering. Most of their cars should be fine with just a truck swap.

This is a great time to be alive. Thanks @Shipsure and @Bigdaddy !

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 08:11:11 PM »
+1
Bolsters should have centered holes rather than offset. The majority of the existing MTL models were designed to have centered bolsters, as evident by the jack plates on the bodies currently being out of alignment with the trucks.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 07:35:45 PM »
Did these come out?

Is there a long, extended version that could lower Red Caboose Centerbeams?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 12:11:06 AM »
Not yet. My guess would be Springfield. I wonder if they will be announced along with a new body style that utilizes them.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
thanks!

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »

I agree with this! I've been waiting since 2004.  Here's an old pic to show the issue:

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 06:52:48 PM »
I've been wanting good 60' Hy cubes of the 70s era for a long time, I've suggested them to Bluford, Scale trains  and Exactrail so far nothing. Maybe Trainworx or Tangent?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
My gut tells me that we wine see much from Tangent. I could be totally wrong, but I doubt fell they are too happy with sales of their new hopper.

Athearn is a possibility. Don't get make a BFF high cube in HO?

Wheels of Time is another possibility. But I don't want to suggest anything new until they make their PC&F car with the 14' door.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 11:20:33 PM »

Wheels of Time is another possibility. But I don't want to suggest anything new until they make their PC&F car with the 14' door.

Or the 60' SP flatcar...

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »
My gut tells me that we wine see much from Tangent. I could be totally wrong, but I doubt fell they are too happy with sales of their new hopper.

Athearn is a possibility. Don't get make a BFF high cube in HO?

I hope they don't throw in the towel based on the UP only release, MBK had 36 skews plus the undecs the undecs sold out and the others our probably half or more sold out, but anyway that's a lot of hoppers in one scheme and you figure MBK probably had a dozen of each skew and at $32 a piece and a lingering single 3 star rating that don't help. The 60' Hy cubes I believe would move well, you have lots of interesting schemes from several eras, I hope they consider a car of broader appeal next time. They could still do clinchfield and B&LE and maybe others on these quad hoppers.