Author Topic: Lunde Studio new buildings -- but not at hobby shops?  (Read 1004 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
Lunde Studio new buildings -- but not at hobby shops?
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:06:24 AM »
Their site has two new buildings listed, no record at MBK, and the Walthers site says they're out of stock ....did these things come and go when I wasn't looking? The Park Place is excellent for a small-city downtown (once it's shortened)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:58:51 PM by GaryHinshaw »

David K. Smith

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1057
    • DKS
Re: Lunde Studio new buildings -- but not at hobby shops?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »
Their site has two new buildings listed, no record at MBK, and the Walthers site says they're out of stock ....did these things come and go when I wasn't looking? The Park Place is excellent for a small-city downtown (once it's shortened)

Many Lunde buildings have come and gone without notice. Releases are capricious at best, and I'm actually surprised any of them have showed up at dealer websites.
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
These were announced at a couple of shows over the summer.  N Scale Supply has had them listed for a while, but I think they have only now been released (unless they were selling some direct at the shows).  A while back, someone mentioned they were doing a modular system as well- but I wonder if they may have been confusing the N Scale Architect modular curtain wall kits.

Easiest thing to do is call a dealer or the company to find out if they are now for sale.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

David K. Smith

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • DKS
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »
Easiest thing to do is call a dealer or the company to find out if they are now for sale.

Even easier (and more reliable, since there's no guarantee the dealer even has them): check the Lunde website.

http://www.lundestudios.com/
                                       —Monty Python

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
True, and I note that just below the website listings and photos of the buildings is an offer to sell you a pair for $99.90 (about a  $15 break).  And over on the side is a note that they will pick up the shipping to the lower 48 states. That deal might be as good or better than what we will get from discount retailers.  And I need a bus station anyway.  OK Santa, my Xmas list is pretty well set.

Bad news on the site is that the Asbury Hotel kit is being discontinued.  So if you don't already have one and stumble across one online, now is the time.  It is a beautiful kit.  Mine is mostly done, but I am struggling with the decision on how much interior work to do.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

David K. Smith

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • DKS
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »
Bad news on the site is that the Asbury Hotel kit is being discontinued.

A dozen or more kits have been discontinued over the years. Lunde is perhaps one of the more frustrating kit manufacturers in terms of what you can (or can't) get, and when...
                                       —Monty Python

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1458
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
I have ordered the last half a dozen of Lunde Studio's buildings directly from their website.  Their website is just as easy to use as any online store - no reason no to order direct.   Oh, I got the bus depot another way - directly from Bob at a train show he was participating in.  That was even better than online ordering - I got to chat with Bob (at no extra charge).  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

chesapeake490

• Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »
I ordered mine from train life.com. good price and fast shipping

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
I ordered mine from train life.com. good price and fast shipping

You are confusing Design Preservation Models with Lunde Studios, which are two different companies.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 10:30:08 PM »
+1
You are confusing Design Preservation Models with Lunde Studios, which are two different companies.

Well DPM was originally ran by the same person who now owns Lunde Studios (and who also made the masters for Magnuson Models): Bob Lunde.
DPM doesn't exist as a standalone company. It was purchased by Woodland Scenics some years ago. At least that is what I recall.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »
Well DPM was originally ran by the same person who now owns Lunde Studios (and who also made the masters for Magnuson Models): Bob Lunde.
DPM doesn't exist as a standalone company. It was purchased by Woodland Scenics some years ago. At least that is what I recall.

True dat.

Met Bob at a Greenburg show a few years ago in Chantilly, VA. I asked about a discontinued kit and he said that means the mold was damaged. He hand makes all the masters and molds for his kits and then pours the resins. Sometimes the mold can bite the bullet when removing parts, which is probably what happened to the poor Asbury Park Hotel I would guess.
Peter Pfotenhauer

David K. Smith

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • DKS
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »
Bob Lunde is an odd bird. He will not sell seconds under any circumstances--you can get down on bended knee and wave cash under his nose, but no. And he won't re-issue kits (at least as far as I know) no matter how well they sell.
                                       —Monty Python

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
The new Lunde kits are listed on the TL site, but you have to do a search for "Lunde" as they do not show up on the N Scale pages.  By the time I figured that out, they were listed as sold out or out of stock.  Or, like some other online retailers, they may list things as "sold out" or "out of stock" when what they mean is "we don't have them yet".
Tom D.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »
True dat.

Met Bob at a Greenburg show a few years ago in Chantilly, VA. I asked about a discontinued kit and he said that means the mold was damaged. He hand makes all the masters and molds for his kits and then pours the resins. Sometimes the mold can bite the bullet when removing parts, which is probably what happened to the poor Asbury Park Hotel I would guess.

Hmm . . . I wonder if it was "master" not the "mold"?  A rubber mold can only last for relatively few pours.  Then new molds are created (multiple times, as needed)  from a master pattern.  But if the master pattern is damaged then no new molds can be made.  If Bob was only making kits from a single mold then he would only be making probably less than 50 kits of one type.  Unless he discovered some amazing RTV rubber material which will produce hundreds of castings without degradation.
--- Peteski de Snarkski