Author Topic: Resin testing  (Read 790 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Resin testing
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
Ok, so the different resins have been printing nice right?

Has anybody attempted any material testing in support of what hobbyists do?  I would think this could be helpful for folks that my be buying parts from folks using the various resins.

Hoping that folks could try the following with some scrap, cured resin samples.  I realize this would all be subjective but it could help others during modeling with printed parts using these resins.

If no one wants to play, maybe they could mail a scrap sample for me to test?  Send a PM if that's how you would like to support the effort.

This would be my initial list with a 1-5 ranking for each test, 1 being Excellent and 5 being Terrible.

-Any more test ideas?

Each material would be a tab in an Excel file:

Material ID- What is the common name of the material?

Each test would be a row in a reference Excel file:

Knife cutting- how does the material cut with a sharp hobby knife? 1, clean cut through-5 part shatters Comment: type of blade?
Knife shaving-how does the material deal with a chisel blade removing unwanted blemishes? 1 Clean shave-5 ruins surface easily Comment?
Sawing- How well does a hobby saw cut through the material? 1 clean edge -5 edges melt, Comment?
Sandability- How well does the material sand with 200 grit sandpaper? 1 ice and smooth results-5 gums up the sandpaper or leaves gouges, Comment?
Drilling- How well does the material drill with an 00-90 tap drill? 1 clean hole-5 hole enlarges from melting material, Comment?
Tapping- Can the material be tapped with a 00-90 tap? 1 thread cuts nicely-5 thread just mushes, Comment?
Thread robustness- Can the material withstand a steel 00-90 screw being tightened into it? 1 great strength-5 strips easily, Comment?
Dremel use- How well does the material handle high speed cutting disc, grinding drum, engraving bit, etc. 1 clean powdery cut-5 melts under speed, Comment?
Dropping- How does the material handle a moderate drop? 1 no breakage-5 shatters upon contact, Comment?
Flexibility- How does the material perform when bent to the breaking point? 1 flexes quite a bit no breakage-5 shatters with small deflection, Comment?
Heat Resistance- How well does the material stand up to a 850 degree soldering iron tip? 1 discolors, no melting- 5 melts easily, Comments:
Chemical resistance- How well does the material handle soaks in caustic fluids? 1 no warping or breakdown- 5 puddle of mush, Comments:
Paint adherence- How well does paint adhere or resist chipping/peeling? 1 great adhesion- 5 peeling bubbling, Comments: paint method and paint type
Paint Coverage- How well do different colors opaquely cover the material? 1 totally opaque- 5 completely translucent, Comments: paint method and paint type/color
Paint Removal- How easy is it to remove paint from the material? 1 strips easily, no damage- 5 impossible to strip without ruin, Comments: chemical used
Gluing face to face- How well does the joint perform and what adhesive was used? 1 great adhesion- 5 will not adhere, Comments: glue used
Gluing edge to face- How well does the joint perform and what adhesive was used? 1 great adhesion- 5 will not adhere, Comments: glue used
Gluing edge to edge- How well does the joint perform and what adhesive was used? 1 great adhesion- 5 will not adhere, Comments: glue used
Gluing metal parts to the resin- how does the joint perform and what material and adhesive? 1 great adhesion- 5 will not adhere, Comments: glue used
Transparency- how transparent is the material? 1-clear 5 fully opaque, comments

When the list is complete, we can start collecting data here from those willing to share and I will transfer it to a excel file that might look lie this (dang watermark... :facepalm:):

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Resin testing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
I can wrap a 40' box car side printed in green around a soda can without it breaking.  Pretty sure I could go smaller in diameter.

Jason