Author Topic: Removing Window Glass  (Read 1456 times)

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
Removing Window Glass
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove window glass/headlights/number boards from N Scale diesels? I’ve had a rough time with some I’ve done, and I was wondering if there’s a way that avoids breaking or scratching the glass?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Removing Window Glass
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »
Did you have specific diesels in mind?  I am not sure there is a "universal" method other than (a) carefully, (b)from the inside whenever possible, and (c) whenever practical, put the model in a large clear plastic bag, and work inside it, so the bits that pop out unexpectedly don't end up lost in the carpet.  That said, generally, the old advice for removing shells- which is to make use of old xacto blades and toothpicks to act as wedges as you work bits loose, and lots of patience, also works with windows.

Some will be glued in, and there just isn't much that can be done about that, other than to order spares, and try your darnedest to avoid damaging the shell.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
Most Kato and Atlas engines (maybe all) just have the glass and lights pressed in. Sometimes you need to remove the side windows first to release the other windows. Bachmann glues the glass in and most of us have begged them to stop doing this. Getting the glass out is a challenge and just takes patience to try and work it out. After you break it, just replace it with something else that is less objectionable (anything is less objectionable after prying it out and breaking it). As I recall, LL also used glue, but it was like rubber cement or something that really didn't stick that well so you could usually work the glass free. Model Power was pressed in as I recall. Don't know about Athearn, Broadway or Fox Valley.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 07:50:38 AM »
I have a couple of "undecorated", version 1, LL BL-2's with the glass glued in. (I say "undecorated" because the shells are painted black, but have no markings.) They run great. And I'd love to paint one up for the Wisconsin & Calumet. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the windows. Why in the world would they glue in the glass on an undecorated model? For that matter, why did they bother the paint the shell black, even? Very frustrating.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
I have a couple of "undecorated", version 1, LL BL-2's with the glass glued in. (I say "undecorated" because the shells are painted black, but have no markings.) They run great. And I'd love to paint one up for the Wisconsin & Calumet. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the windows. Why in the world would they glue in the glass on an undecorated model? For that matter, why did they bother the paint the shell black, even? Very frustrating.

I suspect because the Chinese manufacturer is clueless as to the purpose for the undec. units. The American company likely didn't clearly explain the reason for making them undercoated, or maybe this is a language-barrier problem.  But I agree that fully assembled. painted and glued undecorated models make no sense at all. But they were sold that way.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
I recently had to wrestle the glass out of a couple of LL E7 undecs on their way to the paint booth. Beyond the issue of getting the windows out, in the process managed to bust a couple of the stirrups off. Or is that a "step" on a locomotive? Probably should replace all of those anyway, right? Need more coffee, it's Friday....
Tom D.

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
Wern't the WM BL-2's 'black'. They could have just been locomotives that they didn't finish the pad printing on.

As for removing the glass, you can try to 'wet' the area between the shell and glass with some MEK and after letting it soften first gently try pushing the glass out. Just be VERY CAREFUL since if any MEK gets on the window part and you touch it with anything it will leave a mark (especially a finger will leave your fingerprint).

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
When pushing on the "glass", I always use a tool that is softer than the clear plastic, like the rounded off end of a toothpick.  X-acto chisel blades can be ground down to narrower widths, and can be bent to the desired angle after heating with a propane torch.  These can then be used to carefully pry any glued in pieces. 

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »
Wern't the WM BL-2's 'black'. They could have just been locomotives that they didn't finish the pad printing on.

As for removing the glass, you can try to 'wet' the area between the shell and glass with some MEK and after letting it soften first gently try pushing the glass out. Just be VERY CAREFUL since if any MEK gets on the window part and you touch it with anything it will leave a mark (especially a finger will leave your fingerprint).
The Monon units were also black.  The undec E7s I have were primed.  Given that the windows were glued in and unpainted, I assume this is factory primer and not someone else's project.
Tom D.

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
Now that you mention it, I had purchaced some of their other engines and they come painted in primer as well.