Author Topic: Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 stopped running  (Read 700 times)

carmelmodelrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 stopped running
« on: November 24, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
I have a Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 that is fairly new (less than 1 year old) that just stopped running.  I run DC.  The loco headlight will barely come on, then die and the loco itself will not run.  The drawbar between the loco and the tender appears to be in good shape.  Any ideas? 

Thanks for your help.

Richard Wroblewski
carmelmodelrr

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 stopped running
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 09:36:45 PM »
I would say take off the shell and give the armature a spin and see if it is a dead spot or just dead. And then you can look to see if there is anything obvious as to why it started going downhill.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 11:26:14 PM »
Even a stalled motor shouldn't keep the headlight from working, unless it's shorted, and blowing the breaker.  If you don't have meters, you might try putting a light bulb, or a lighted passenger car, on the same track.  Make sure it lights, then put the loco on the track, without disturbing the test light.

If the test light stays lit, while the loco doesn't, it's probably bad contact somewhere, and the power isn't getting into the loco.

If the test light goes out along with the loco, pick up the loco.  If the test light comes back on, the loco is shorting the power supply, and the breaker is blowing.
N Kalanaga
Be well

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 12:08:07 AM »
As does Original Poster, I run DC only.  I have had that happen to several B-manns with factory decoders.  Every time, it was a fried decoder.  Each time I took out the decoder, re-wired appropriately.  The thing ran better on DC without the decoder than it did with.  The 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 will creep nicely on DC without the decoder.

I would call it a fried decoder. remove the thing, re-wire appropriately then enjoy how it runs even better.

Out of curiosity, what DC pack are you using.  I use MRC 2800, 2400 or the Kato.  You can turn off the pulse on the 2400, which I do.  The Kato has no pulse.  The 2600 has a discreet pulse.  If you put an MRC 2500, which has a strong pulse, it often causes decoder equipped power to do funny things.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 12:41:07 AM »
I didn't realize that it had DCC.  I also use DC, but none of my in-service locos have decoders.  That's an entirely different set of possible problems...
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2627
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 01:34:31 AM »
If Richard's loco has a factory installed decoder then this sure sounds like a fried decoder, or at least a decoder that has "lost its mind" (had its internal settings scrambled).  I agree that since he only runs DC then eliminating (removing) the decoder is the best solution.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
If you buy the locomotive, only, it comes with a factory decoder.  That is the only way that it comes.  There is a train set version, but you must buy the whole set.  It has a non-decoder locomotive.  The rods and valve gear are only the basic on the trainset version, however. 

The one trainset version that I have seen (and have) is a blue one that came lettered for the C&O.  I relettered it for my non-historic.  It came with cars, track and power supply.  It came with the B-mann four wheel caboose, as well.  I use some E-Z TRAK on my pike, so I did put to use some of the track and the power supply for working switch machines.  There was one freight car that I could use, so  I kept it.  I threw in the other two with some other freight cars and sold them on FeePay.  I put the caboose with a MDC C&O 2-6-0 and sold them on FeePay.  I have several of those B-mann four wheel cabooses, so I really did not need any more.  In addition, the lettering job looked pretty good, so it was a shame to erase it or strip it.

B-mann does sell another one in a DC train set.  It is a Penn and comes with three B-mann shorty passenger cars.  If you look at the photograph on B-mann's website, it appears that the valve gear and rods are the same as on the individual locomotive. .  That might be a photograph of the HO version, though, as never have I seen that set.  It lists for three hundred thirty nine bananas, so the locomotive might have  a decoder in it. I wonder if B-mann put a decoder equipped locomotive in a DC set.  On the website of a Certain Large And Well Known East Coast e-Tailer Known For Low Prices That Also Has A Brick And Mortar Store, it shows in stock and has two reviews.  One of the reviewers complains that the thing has too low a top speed.  I have seen, in some of  B-mann's factory decoder, locomotives, that they do have a lower top speed on DC than those without the DC.  I do not run my trains too fast as it is, so it has not been a big deal for me.

carmelmodelrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »
As a modeler who has disassembled many diesels but has no knowledge of how to disassemble a steamer, how do I remove the decoder?  (Based on your responses, it sure seems like the decoder is the culprit.) 

I immediately replaced the 4-6-0 with a Kato Mikado and the Kato runs beautifully (as always).  So it's not the track.  I happen to be running the Bachmann 4-6-0 on an MRC 2400--and I never use pulse.

Richard Wroblewski
carmelmodelrr

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +417
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »
The decoder is in the tender, so it’s the tender shell that needs to come off. It may just pull off, I’m not sure. Spookshow has a picture of the tender without its shell and it looks like there are some tabs at the bottom. http://www.spookshow.net/loco/spec460.html

badlandnp

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
    • Badland N.P.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
The tender pulls apart on this loco. After you pull the top off, it will be obvious how to remove the DCC board and rewire things.
Northern Pacific in the Badlands, in N-scale of course!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2627
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 10:40:56 PM »
Actually, according to  Spookshow's write up (and I'm quoting):
The tender PC board is actually two boards in one (functionally speaking). The forward half is the "main board" (to which the wiring harness is soldered) and the rear half is the "DCC board". The DCC board is designed such that it can be snapped off from the main board (should you want to swap in a different decoder or run without a decoder entirely). Instructions included in the box show where to solder decoder wires to the main board (for running a different decoder) or what contacts to bridge on the main board if you want to run without a decoder.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"