Author Topic: Printing loco shells on the Anycubic  (Read 1239 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Printing loco shells on the Anycubic
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »
+1
Al, Feel free to post any more full or partial shell results on the Anycubic here.

@Mark W , this seems to have gotten lost in the thread, but you asked me about some things i saw in the loco shell and I was hoping for a reply and maybe some more pictures (BTW your trailers turned out jus magnificent, I am starting to plot ways to justify a machine!):

"So looking at your images there are a few concerns as i mentioned.  I have tried to scale my viewer to roughly the same scale, orientation and perspective view you present.  I have the edges represented in the model so you can see the geometry as compared to the printing.

In the end view I see some missing detail that is not on the print, a small chunk missing, and some non-sharp corners/edges.

In the bottom view I see some waviness in the sides and a bow in the rear wall.  I am also curious of the printed dimensions in my image, if you could measure.

The print must fit this assembly and snap into the grooves of this also printed stainless tender frame and over the re-used electronics.

A straight on side view of the lower edge to see if it is srtaight and a picture of the rear face to see the rectangular depression for the builder's tender plate would also be helpful.

I am impressed with the wall thickness so far, but it looks as though the corner rendering is not very crisp.  I am wondering if the 0.02mm print layer (I think you mentioned 0.05mm earlier) would solve this as well as the missing detail on the doors.

I do sincerely thank you very much for printing this as a test for others to see the capabilities.

Keep in mind that I could likely live with these "imperfections" but I don't think I could ship that shell in a kit, at this point..."

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Printing loco shells on the Anycubic
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »
And I thought I had great attention to detail!  :D

I seem to have misplaced my calipers at the moment, but we'll get those measurements once found.

The first missing chunk is actually an optical illusion, the right side of the V is the diagonal of the bulkhead/wall, the left side of the V is dome of the coal load itself. 
You can also attribute the soft corners to the support-prep, they peeled from the support trees during printing.  Easily corrected.

The slight bowing is the worst part in my eyes.  Your file seems to have additional ribbing, but I don't know if that would make much of a difference either.  However, on the bright side, since they're bowing inward, the tender frame itself will effectively eliminate that issue. 

Now, for the real kicker...  whats this part cost on Shapeways vs the cost to print on the Photon?   ;)
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Printing loco shells on the Anycubic
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
@Mark W

Some follow up:

The ribbed version of the tender is an unsuccessful design is the only model I have separate enough from the boiler that I had to demonstrate your views.

I am still keenly interested in the dimensions if you find time.

The bow in the end wall still concerns me.

"A straight-on side view of the lower edge to see if it is straight and a picture of the rear face to see the rectangular depression for the builder's tender plate would also be helpful."

"I am wondering if the 0.02mm print layer (I think you mentioned 0.05mm earlier) would solve .... the missing detail on the doors."

I know you are busy printing.

I would prefer to compare costs offline.  To be a true comparison, you will need to take support removal time into account.  My cleaning costs are minimal, time wise, as I just dump them into my UC with Bestine for 30 minutes.