Author Topic: Panasonic G85 Focus Bracketing and Stacking Test  (Read 7044 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: Panasonic G85 Focus Bracketing and Stacking Test
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »
Some of these are real life bent stanchions due to my son taking this "train" outside to "show it to me" a year or two ago. :RUEffinKiddingMe:

But this is what I mean:

At first glance it looks good, but the 100% inset crops show the issues. It could be something that can be fixed in a firmware release - who knows? Again, this is totally done in camera and takes a few seconds to generate.  So it's pretty amazing, it just needs some refinement.  It's possible that in other scenarios that lack discreet hard edges it would work just fine.

Of course now that you pointed that spot out, I can tell the flaw is there even in the larger shot of the whole car. Way to ruin a good photo.  :D

Plant taller grass that hides the wheels maybe?
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 10:58:10 PM »
I have a feeling that currently no focus-stacking software (either a standalone program or in-camera software) is good enough to fix those types of stacking artifacts. That is where manual retouching (guided by a human brain) has to take place.

BTW, I almost posted this message with a "ficus-stacking" typo (because it didn't make the spell-checker puke).  I'm sure that would have give you guys a good excuse to give me a good ribbing.
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:09 AM »
+2
But what's even more amazing is that image is made from combining the frames of a 2 second movie. 

The new GH5 that just came out has the same capability but at 6k - so you would get an 18MP image from the in-camera focus stacking. Possibly small artifacts like those around the wheel and lettering would be less pronounced.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »
This is a cool thread, new awarenesses for me and helping me understand the MP/image quality world better.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »
Verrrrry interesting set of demo photos ya got there Mr. Mann!  If you could, I would like to see some shots taken with the camera on a layout, with variable backgrounds and more foreground clutter.  Sure, takin' photos of single cars and engines is part of model railroad photography, but like Otto's use, my use, along with many of the rest of us, is to take realistic scenic shots...with the main subject almost on the lens' front lens surface, with the scenery going off 10, 15, 20 feet into the distance.

Other than the in-camera processing feature you have now, I get the close and far focus points, as well as a selectable number of focus points, along with camera speed, f-stop, ISO, image quality and a few other parameters, using Helicon Remote.  As an added benefit, I can also zoom and check critical focus and adjust it remotely, seeing what my camera sees on my cellphone screen so I'm not standing on my head trying to look at the camera's screen over there at track level.

Handrails and grabs are a problem, that's for sure.  I almost always end up manually repairing them in my finished stacks.

I've never checked rounded highlights to see if they're zig-zagging such as those on the N-scale wheel faces as you've done.  I'll have to check that soon.

What your post is telling me is that I'm okay with my present equipment, Helicon Focus Pro, and Helicon Remote, with the exception of finding an excellent and close-focusing ultra-wide zoom for trackside photos, which incidentally would also be excellent for bug and flower photos.

As an added benefit, my Nikon D7200 has excellent durability as well as water and dust sealing for field and location work...so I'm not feeling any pressure to change.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
Well, right or wrong, I splurged today and bought the Panasonic/LUMIX GX85 at my local "Best" Buy  :P
For my purposes, I like the fact it's a little smaller and lighter (not to forget cheaper) than the G85, and the current version now comes with up to date firmware which includes the in-camera focus stacking. It came with a 12-32 (24-64 35mm equivalent) kit lens, which I consider ideal for layout photography. But the clincher was the "special promotion" this week, which includes a FREE $250 45-150 (90-300 eq.) zoom lens with purchase of the camera.
We're off on a vacation trip starting Wednesday so the camera won't do much layout photography anytime soon, but the few pics a took tonight look promising. Of course, now I have to figure out how to upload pics or copy them to my PC, but that's a challenge for another day...
Joys of technology :facepalm:
Otto K.

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 05:44:33 AM »
Well, right or wrong, I splurged today and bought the Panasonic/LUMIX GX85 at my local "Best" Buy  :P
For my purposes, I like the fact it's a little smaller and lighter (not to forget cheaper) than the G85, and the current version now comes with up to date firmware which includes the in-camera focus stacking. It came with a 12-32 (24-64 35mm equivalent) kit lens, which I consider ideal for layout photography. But the clincher was the "special promotion" this week, which includes a FREE $250 45-150 (90-300 eq.) zoom lens with purchase of the camera.
We're off on a vacation trip starting Wednesday so the camera won't do much layout photography anytime soon, but the few pics a took tonight look promising. Of course, now I have to figure out how to upload pics or copy them to my PC, but that's a challenge for another day...
Otto K.

Is that ideal for overall shots of scenes, Otto, or close ups of details like TM is aiming for?  I'm assuming the free zoom lens is for your vacation shooting?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:51:55 AM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
Peter, yes, that's the theory, although the whole point of my original quest was to have something small I could stick in my pocket when enjoying the outdoors. But, how can one say no to a free telephoto lens? :D
Otto

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »
Peter, yes, that's the theory, although the whole point of my original quest was to have something small I could stick in my pocket when enjoying the outdoors. But, how can one say no to a free telephoto lens? :D
Otto

Easy, its the camera that's free and the lense that's $700. :) Now if it was the Macro lens Tom is using that was free....

My tax return just dropped too.  I could, I would, and then there is I should.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 08:39:19 PM »
So, I still argue that focus stacking isn't the real solution. What's the point of shooting a 2s video when you might as well just make a 2s exposure?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »
So, I still argue that focus stacking isn't the real solution. What's the point of shooting a 2s video when you might as well just make a 2s exposure?

No tripod is needed for the 2s video?
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
Otto K.

That's a pretty good price.  I like how the GX85 looks and I can't even remember why I chose the G85 over it - they are very close technology wise.  Either way, it's nice to have a system that has a great selection of quality affordable lenses. I recently picked up the Panasonic 14-140 and Olympus 45mm f1.8 and I'm happy with both.

Post some of your vacation shots when you get back.

basementcalling

• Crew
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:43:37 PM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 08:48:06 AM »
That’s not the exact camera I used (GX85 is the one in your link vs G85 that I used). It’s almost the same camera; the G85 looks like a regular DLSR (a faux bump in the middle for the mirror) and is weather-sealed.