Author Topic: Shapeways print preparation  (Read 1250 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
Shapeways print preparation
« on: June 22, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
Hey guys I am starting on my Milwaukee EF5 project, and had some shells and frames printed in Smoothest Fine Detail Plastics, and Smooth Fine Detail Plastic. I have not used a shapeway print in a long time, do I need to do a benzene bath still to remove the wax and such, or is there a better option/strategy now?
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
Re: Shapeways print preparation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 01:44:21 PM »
I have 100s of Shapeways prints, I'll stick with the Bestine FWIW.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:36:47 PM »
+2
I think Mike meant "bestine" when he wrote "benzine". Naphta also works well (either VM&P Naphta from the hardware store, or Ronsonol lighter fluid). 
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:25:26 AM »
+1
I use Bestine in an ultrasonic cleaner.  The agitation seems to help remove much of the leftover artifacts.  For high detail parts like a truck frame, I then use an air eraser after. For smooth surface parts, I use a modified ultrasonic toothbrush in delicate areas and good old sandpaper on large smooth areas.

The material is VERY porous and will soak in much primer/paint. 

The material will NOT strip and any use of strong stripper chemicals will break down the material.

Thin walled areas require a light touch.

The material accepts CA well due to the porosity.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 11:10:20 AM »
I think Mike meant "bestine" when he wrote "benzine". Naphta also works well (either VM&P Naphta from the hardware store, or Ronsonol lighter fluid).

Yes, thats what I meant, Autospell on my phone got me....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 12:15:57 PM »
+1
Autocorrect = evil

So does Apple...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 05:37:24 PM »
ok, I picked up something that is the same as Bestine it's called M-E-K Substitute, or at least it has the same ingredients. (https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/chemicals-and-cleaners/paint-thinners-and-solvents/1474469?store=01848)
I'm going to soak a disposable, thin part, and make sure it will work, and not damage stuff. But I need to know how long do I soak the parts for. as of now, I do not have a Ultrasonic cleaner, so it would be probably a static soak.
Mike

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 05:55:12 PM »
Bestine is heptane, so any pure heptane product will work.

I soak for 24 hours, as I do not own an ultrasonic cleaner either.  I never have any issues.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 06:05:41 PM »
I've read the suggestions regarding using an ultrasonic cleaner w/Bestine to clean up  Shapeways FUD, but haven't done it.

My can of Bestine indicates that it is flammable ('cause it's heptane, so, yeah), and my Branson ultrasonic cleaner has a warning label telling me not to put flammable liquids in it.   Heptane has a flash point of 25°F and it's vapor is heavier than air - that sounds iffy to me.

Maybe some day I'll get brave, but not indoors...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:07:36 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 12:17:29 PM »
I've read the suggestions regarding using an ultrasonic cleaner w/Bestine to clean up  Shapeways FUD, but haven't done it.

My can of Bestine indicates that it is flammable ('cause it's heptane, so, yeah), and my Branson ultrasonic cleaner has a warning label telling me not to put flammable liquids in it.   Heptane has a flash point of 25°F and it's vapor is heavier than air - that sounds iffy to me.

Maybe some day I'll get brave, but not indoors...

I never leave the UC unattended, and I only run it for 4 ten minute runs. I also keep the cover on to keep the fumes contained. I have done this hundreds of times without issue, and I do understand the concern.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 05:46:54 PM »
I think I'm going to take Mr Busséy's advice and do a 24 hour soak...
Mike

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 05:55:46 PM »
I've accidently soaked them for a week without issue.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »
ok, I picked up something that is the same as Bestine it's called M-E-K Substitute, or at least it has the same ingredients. (https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/chemicals-and-cleaners/paint-thinners-and-solvents/1474469?store=01848)
I'm going to soak a disposable, thin part, and make sure it will work, and not damage stuff. But I need to know how long do I soak the parts for. as of now, I do not have a Ultrasonic cleaner, so it would be probably a static soak.

Mike,
When you mentioned that MEK Substitute is Heptane, I was puzzled. MEKis a fairly strong solvent which dissolves polystyrene. In fact, Testors Liquid Cement *IS* MEK!  Heptane is a milder solvent.

I looked at the MSDS you linked to and it shows "141-78-6 Acetic acid, ethyl ester {Ethyl acetate}".  That is not Heptane!  While it will likely remove the waxy substance from 3D printed parts, It might also damage the resin itself.  I would be very careful.
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 09:45:40 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, I will try it on a small, disposablepart first
Mike,
When you mentioned that MEK Substitute is Heptane, I was puzzled. MEKis a fairly strong solvent which dissolves polystyrene. In fact, Testors Liquid Cement *IS* MEK!  Heptane is a milder solvent.

I looked at the MSDS you linked to and it shows "141-78-6 Acetic acid, ethyl ester {Ethyl acetate}".  That is not Heptane!  While it will likely remove the waxy substance from 3D printed parts, It might also damage the resin itself.  I would be very careful.
Mike