Author Topic: Briggs Models N scale Expression of Interest  (Read 803 times)

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Briggs Models N scale Expression of Interest
« on: November 20, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
Hello All

I am doing some promotional work with Briggs Models regarding the possibility of producing an N scale TOFC 52’6” Flat car kit. For anyone modeling CN and BC Rail from the Fifties until just recently this car is a must have.

The kits will include all parts for the CN and BCR variations. It will be offered with etched parts such as grab irons, stirrup steps, brake wheel, etc. Trucks and couplers will not be included. The kit will retail for $25 Canadian plus shipping. In order to get this project going a minimum run of 80 kits will be required.

This is only an expression of interest/order list. No cash up front from anyone. Once the model has been completed and ready for purchase, I will contact you and it will be put it up for sale on the Briggs Models website. You will be able to order directly from the site by using PayPal, credit card, or by mail if desired. http://www.briggsmodels.ca/

Black Cat Decals have indicated that if this model is produced they are interested in producing decals sets, which will be purchased separately through them.

If you are interested in having this kit produced please email me your contact information and the number of kits you might be interested in which I will pass on to Jeff. My email address is chrisd@briggsmanufacturingassociates.com. Please feel free to pass this information on to anyone who may be interested or post elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Chris Dittmar
BC Rail Chetwynd Sub

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:18:35 PM by GaryHinshaw »

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +94
Re: Briggs Models N scale Expression of Interest
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
I am doing some promotional work with Briggs Models regarding the possibility of producing an N scale TOFC 52’6” Flat car kit. For anyone modeling CN and BC Rail from the Fifties until just recently this car is a must have.

The kits will include all parts for the CN and BCR variations.

Hi Chris - interesting project. Can you provide some info on the CN number series that are applicable so I can see if they're of use.

As a side note (and not to hijack this thread), I'd be very interested in the similar CP cars which were very common in the US throughout the 90s onwards. I'd probably be interested in 5-10 of the CP cars if Briggs was inclined.

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=46668
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=69742
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=2524
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=16797
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +259
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »
Were these cars in widespread use or were they mostly in captive service?

BCOL 747

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »
I can't speak for CN or CP but the PGE/BCR cars were only used in captive service.

Chris

BCOL 747

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »
Hi Chris - interesting project. Can you provide some info on the CN number series that are applicable so I can see if they're of use.

As a side note (and not to hijack this thread), I'd be very interested in the similar CP cars which were very common in the US throughout the 90s onwards. I'd probably be interested in 5-10 of the CP cars if Briggs was inclined.

Hi James, below is a photo of the CN series that Jeff will be producing. CP would no doubt have undertaken similar conversions.

Thanks for the interest

Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:18:12 PM by GaryHinshaw »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +219
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
Will the model include the early chain type tie downs as shown in the BNR photo?  If those tie downs are on a detail fret, you might want to consider making that available separately- that is a difficult part to come across for those of us modeling early-mid 50s.  Most of the parts I can find are for 60s and later.

Did these cars cross the border into the US?  Any Toronto-Chicago piggyback runs?
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

BCOL 747

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »
Thomas

Here is what Jeff indicated to me in regards to the chain type tie downs.

"It's not a large addition so sure. It is difficult to offer these parts separately unless the modeler would want to purchase the complete detail fret, which I am happy to offer as a detail part, with the grab irons, brake parts, and stirrups".

As far as the CN cars running into the States I can't say for sure but I would think it would be plausible. Maybe someone with more knowledge of operations in the that area can assist me in an answer?

Chris

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
I’d be down for the detail fret - probably useful in a whole range of applications.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »
I need to do some more research on the flatcars and their possible appearances on the GTW in Chicago, and/or interchange there, early on.  More history (build dates, number series, etc) would be helpful.  The cars themselves are interesting and I can only think that they must be quite similar to those used by some other roads. I have a bunch of old flatcars set aside to detail for early piggybacks of several roads, and I am sure any details left over from that project would be useful for other detailing work.

But the detail frets would be quite useful, definitely would be interested in those, as generally, the cars look quite similar to those used by a number of railroads in the early days of piggyback service. I have a bunch of old flatcars set aside to detail for early piggybacks of several roads, and I am sure any details left over from that project would be useful for other detailing work.

And you need to get someone to do these trailer decals
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f1/ee/49/f1ee49cfa5ad1877a1e4d82581eff1c6--railroad-history-pth.jpg
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »
Here is an interesting report about the development of piggyback services in Canada. They do mention some international routes, such as Toronto-New York via the Delaware Lackawanna. Not sure about routes to Chicago though.

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2014/bcp-pco/Z1-1959-3-3-2-eng.pdf
Because why not...

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »
Forget what I said about number series and dates, as those are on the car in the photo posted by BCOL 747 up above, and another number on the one in the link I posted.
Tom D.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +627
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 10:13:07 PM »
I want a few or more depending on price , especially with Canadian 50's era trailers or decals for them .

https://picasaweb.google.com/107386709517361572905

GOOGLE ALBUMS https://photos.google.com/albums NOW 3/15/19 made shared again

Richie Dost

BCOL 747

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
Hi Richie

The price for the car would be $25 Canadian each plus shipping. They do not include decals, trucks or trailers,but will have photo-etch grab irons, stirrups, break wheel and etc. Black Cat Decals is interested in producing both the BC Rail and CN versions of the decals but they would have to be purchased directly from them.

If you are interested in the trailers please email me at chrisd@briggsmanufacturingassociates.com and I will put you on the list.

Kind regards,
Chris