Author Topic: Select & Pilot problems  (Read 776 times)

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Select & Pilot problems
« on: November 21, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
First off let me wish to all a very Happy Thanksgiving !
Next let us lift up all of the people in the California fires who have lost there homes and or family members.
Now to my problem-
I just installed a bunch of Lok Sound decoders (73800) into Kato diesel loco’s. Some were units that were sets of a lead & trailing unit. I have one set an A B B with the 73800 in the A & an Pilot (53661) in the B units.
I set them all to the same address because they will always run together.
I set the speeds and start delays so they would run together.
These where all tested before returning them to the owner.
The owner contacted me stating he could not get them to run.
Returned to me and found that this was true.
I looked to see if I could read the decoders with a Power Cab.-I could but still thy did not run.
I did a reset of the decoders. Still would not run.
So with the ESU programmer I did a complete down load of the files to the decoders.
Did not see any problems, the 73800 now had lights ( one problem with lights I cover that here a bit latter) sound but still would not run . The light problem is an aux problem- I programed aux 1 to be a Mars light. When I use F6 light comes on- but does not flash. Checked programming and found to be correct but sill no Mars light.
The Lok Pilots are dead- I did a re set, and a new down load. Still dead.
Owner is using a Digitrax system and consisted the units to # 80 consist but I can’t run them with that number .
I can’t see any problems with install- no wires broken nor burned -don’t see any burn marks on decoaders.
Sorry long post .
I am lost on this one has I have 4 LokPilots dead and several Lok Sounds dead also.
Any Ideas?
Would setting has a consist cause problems?

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: Select & Pilot problems
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »
Have you cleared CV19 (e.g., set it to zero?).  This is the advanced consisting CV.

This should have happened when you reprogrammed, but just to be absolutely sure, set CV19 = 0 and also set CV's 21-24 to zero.

Then, try to program each individual engine with its own address (this may sound elementary, but after doing a new download, you DID use address 03 to address the engines, right?  Because the download would have reset the address to 03 - a reset would not necessarily do this, depending on how you had set up the decoders to begin with) and check to see if they will run.

If none of that works, then I'd do the following with one of the sound engines:

1.  If there are any keep alive caps connected, disconnect them.
2.  Do a new download of the sound file you want directly from ESU's web site.  Then load that sound file into one of the engines.  When it asks whether you want it to overwrite defaults and write decoder data, make sure the boxes are checked to do so.
3.  Now try the engine - remember that the address will be 03.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

John C.

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: Select & Pilot problems
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 02:03:15 PM »
Hi John, thanks for your reply. I did find a Lok Pilot that had a number stored in CV 19- reset to 0 and now runs.
I was thinking after a new down load it would have cleared the address and go back to defaults.
I have not checked to see what is stored into CV’s 21-24. I will do that.
Also try a new down load from the ESU files.
No Keep Alives in these.
Will report back after trying your ideas.
Thanks