Author Topic: What paint for Pennsylvania N6b in the post floquil world?  (Read 1400 times)

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
What paint for Pennsylvania N6b in the post floquil world?
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
I have brass PRR N6b to paint. I want to paint it in the older all red paint paint scheme. Since we lost Floquill a number of years back, my question is: What readily available paint or mix of paints should I use. I have recently been using Tru Color Paint and have been happy with the results.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: What paint for Pennsylvania N6b in the post floquil world?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:24:45 PM »
I have brass PRR N6b to paint. I want to paint it in the older all red paint paint scheme. Since we lost Floquill a number of years back, my question is: What readily available paint or mix of paints should I use. I have recently been using Tru Color Paint and have been happy with the results.

If you like Tru Color Paint, why not use it for the caboose?  Don't they have a color equivalent to whatever Floquil color was available?
. . . 42 . . .

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »
If you like Tru Color Paint, why not use it for the caboose?  Don't they have a color equivalent to whatever Floquil color was available?

They may have one that is a match but I'm really not sure which one it is. They have a number of PRR colors but nothing that says caboose.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:11:47 PM »
Scalecoat II  ?  That is what I used on an HO Pennsy cabin back in the days.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:01:02 AM »
+1
Jerry Britton has a reference page for PRR Cabin cars.  Up through 1915 they were painted a bright red.  From 1915 through 1964 the body was "Freight Car Color" or FCC in Pennsy terms.  It's kind of a Tuscan Red or a brownish red oxide primer color.  It all depends on the year as the formula varied.  You really have to find a period picture (in color) to be sure.  The roof was painted black and after 1961 some cupolas were painted chrome yellow.

In terms of Tru Color paint the possible candidates would be TCP-053 Tuscan Red or TCP-209 PRR Freight Car Brown.  Although the latter looks too brown.  But again, FCC changed colors slightly in different decades.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
@jargonlet ,

See this thread

Floquil Zinc Oxide is the correct color for FCC.

As I mention in that thread, I will be decanting several cans over time for my fleet, but I could spare a small bottle now for you if you cover shipping. PM me if you want, for details.