Author Topic: 3D CAD software  (Read 7874 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: 3D CAD software
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2018, 01:08:08 PM »
I guess I need to get solidworks loaded, now that I have a install disk now. I know it's going to be very hard for me to unlearn everything I learned from using sketchup for the last 7 years of using it.

You shouldn't have to unlearn anything.  These programs are just sets of tools.  Some may have more or better tools for the job, but the important part is understanding how parts of an object can be built and then finding the right tool to built it.

Jason

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »

3ds is a native Autodesk format going back to at least 1996 with the release of 3D Studio Max.

Jason

Jason, thanks for the clarification.  That confirms it is a heavy CAD file.

@rodsup9000 ,

You miss the point.  By Solid, I do not mean it can hold water.  By solid I mean that EVERY pixel inside of the solid is measurable an calculable.

I.e. Some tools draw models like an empty box, if you cut the box open it is hollow inside.  Solid models (heavy data) are like a block of ice.  If you cut it open there is still ice. It is not hollow.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:44:56 PM by Lemosteam »

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »

You miss the point.  By Solid, I do not mean it can hold waier.  By solid I mean that EVERY pixwl insode of the solid is measurable an calculable.

I.e. Some tools draw models like an empty box, if you cut the box open it is hollow inside.  Solid models (heavy data) are like a block of ice.  If you cut it open there is still ice. It is not hollow.

OK, I got it now. A correct CAD will be 100% solid and not a hollow thing that sketchup does. Thanks
 I'm installing solidworks now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:20:27 PM by rodsup9000 »
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »
+2
FWIW, I use Sketchup and installed the extension "Solid Inspector2". While working on a drawing I frequently inspect it and correct any problems it finds before moving on. Often that involves undoing changes until I get back to a "clean" drawing and then moving forward again, so you don't want to go too far before checking your work.
Since I've started using it and ensuring everything is solid, I've never had any problems generating and printing the STL files.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:44:30 PM by CNscale »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
FWIW, I use Sketchup and installed the extension "Solid Inspector2". While working on a drawing I frequently inspect it and correct any problems it finds before moving on. Often that involves undoing changes until I get back to a "clean" drawing and then moving forward again, so you don't want to go too far before checking your work.
Since I've started using it and ensuring everything is solid, I've never had any problems generating and printing the STL files.

Have any of you SketchUp users ever use the Cadspan plugin? http://www.cadspan.com/tools

When I played with SketchUp few years ago I installed it and it seemed very useful, but I never got to the point where I had anything useful to try printing it out.  Looks like the plugin is still available.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »
What does everyone think about Blender?
https://www.blender.org/

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2018, 11:34:09 PM »
+1
What does everyone think about Blender?
https://www.blender.org/

Blender has a lot of extras to weed through.  It a full blown animation package.  It's what the local 'meet up' 3D group uses and has classes for here in Springs.

If you haven't tried Fusion 360, you should.  It's a full parametric modeler and is does assemblies.  It's supposed to have a free license if you're just a hobbyist.  My free trial is about up and I'll find out if there is a free version going forward.

Jason

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2018, 06:22:35 AM »
Yes assemblies.  A very nice feature.

Can you design in context @wcfn100 ?  I.e., can you use features from other parts in the context assembly to define features in a different part within the same assembly?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2018, 10:28:52 AM »
Yes assemblies.  A very nice feature.

Can you design in context @wcfn100 ?  I.e., can you use features from other parts in the context assembly to define features in a different part within the same assembly?

I think this is what you're asking about.

In the case of something like a brake cylinder, I can use the mounting pad of the cylinder component to project onto say, the floor of a freight car and then extrude that shape using the original cylinder component as the extrusion limiter. 

That make sense?

It looks like the way I did it creates a new 'body' (the new block between the parts).  I'd have to look to see if you can change that behavior to just add to the floor piece.

Jason

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
+1
Sort of.

What you describe are multiple bodies within a single part.  And changes to one body should drive updates into the mating body.

What I am referring to is a true assembly, like the real thing.  Multiple sub-assemblies (like a truck assembly comprised of a frame and two axles, each with their own CAD bodies), component parts (with multiple CAD bodies inside) making up an assembly, just like you would build it with real parts but in the digital environment.

Here is an example of an assembly in my viewer, in an exploded format, Each part is either a single part, installed into another part, in a logical assembly order both in CAD and in the kit. On the left in my viewer is the assembly heirarchy:

(Note, I can do in my CAD tool, precisely what I can to in this viewer)

I can create relationships between features within the context of the top level assembly, and constraints from one part to the next at any level of the assembly.  For instance the axis of the axles are constrained to the truck frame axle pocket axles to make a truck assembly.  then the truck assembly is constrained by the axis of the bolster hole and top plane to the axis of the pin on the bottom of the shell and the plane that the car rests on, and so on.  this is how I can design specific fits and clearances between parts to make sure the parts can assemble as the kit builder would expect.  When one part changes the other parts will react to that (sometimes very negatively, an old issue in parametric modeling)

Truck sub-assembly

Truck to shell assembly. 

Note the truck rotation- In the context of the assembly I can check the amount of rotation angle to see how close the truck gets to the steps:

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Sort of.

What you describe are multiple bodies within a single part.

Fusion 360 has a different work flow than Inventor and probably what you are used to.  What I showed would be like if I started an Assembly drawing in Inventor and imported the box car floor and air tank, aligned them how I wanted and then created the piece to join them in the assembly. Except in Inventor, the default behavior I've seen (or at least the way I do it) is that the new part can be created as either a new file separate from the assembly, or I can just build directly onto the box car floor while still in the assembly drawing.  I doesn't look like Fusion does that.

As for the rest, yes you can create relationships between parts but again, it's different than Inventor and I haven't had a chance to play around with it.  Fusion uses "Joint" relationships that can define several things.

I'll come back to this if I get a good file to show some of it.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
+1
So here's something I did that may or may not show part of what you are asking.

I can create a joint between the cylinder and the box with the hole that centers on the cylinder. The box also has a slider joint (planer type relationship) with the floor above it.

Fusion could be missing some assembly functionality, but it certainly is meant to be able to 'build' things with functionality.

edit:

Here's a video on using Joints.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-81F7183D-C583-4416-9F1E-0FD53E6C8C31

Jason
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:53:29 PM by wcfn100 »

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
If each part is its own entity outside of the others, then it is very similar, and your joints are the equivalent of my constraints.

If all of this is happening within a single part, it is very different, and similar in some ways.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:34:42 PM by Lemosteam »

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »
+1
 I've taken @Lemosteam advice and have solidworks loaded and working properly, and I hooked up the 2nd monitor that I bought few years ago. It's great to be watching a video and doing what the video is doing at the same time to learn (should of hooked up the 2nd monitor long time ago). My youngest son, Paul is a IT/computer guy, so when I add anything to my computer, I have him do it so I don't mess anything up. I had a 256g SSD external hd laying around, so he installed the solidworks on it, so I could use it on my other computer and not have to do the install twice.
 Yesterday, I learned how to draw a box, so that's a start. Then I went to the toolbar options and wow, I have no idea what to do there. I know there is some stuff I need from there and will watch videos to see what one I want.
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
So my free trial for Fusion 360 was down to 2 days so I went to check out the free licensing options.  There are three free options; educational, non-commercial, and commercial under 100,000 revenue.  I went for the last one so if I ever wanted to sell something, it would be fully legit.  They ask for a company name and website.  I gave my CGW Modeler name and site which aren't official in any sort of corporate way but it went through fine.

I'm good for a year and then from what I gather, you just go through the same process again.

Jason