Author Topic: North South layout orientation - is north to the left or right facing the layout  (Read 3519 times)

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
I approach it from whatever angle makes the railroad fit into the space best.

North=left/south=right may reverse on different decks.

My club layout has a large multi-deck layout construction as well and east/west are different directions on different levels, depending on how things were fitted in.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
I suppose it could be said that, if east is to the left on your layout, you're on top of the world looking down on creation.

That's the only explanation I can find.

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
Tehachapifan for the win!!

(My, we are dating ourselves, aren't we?)    :D

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
Following on to Doug's point, in the few cases where the PRR direction of travel was north-south instead of east-west, north is to the right and south to the left on diagrams - that puts the observer on the east side of the tracks, and the mains were numbered east to west.

As others have said the concerns of getting the thing coiled into the room will probably come first.  But where you have a choice, north or east to the right would at least have some precedent.
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
JTG:  As the industrial buildings are the dominant "topography", your reasoning makes perfect sense.

The same goes for the Columbia Gorge, in the area I'm from.  If I modeled the SP&S/BN/BNSF, east would be to the right, with the river in the foreground, and the mountains in the rear.  But if I modeled the UP, east would be on the left, for the same reasons.  If I had lots of room, in a long, skinny space, I'd model both sides, with the river as the aisle, connecting the two sides at Portland, the Tri-Cities, and Wishram.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Just, whatever you do, put directional arrows on the fascia!

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Tehachapifan for the win!!

(My, we are dating ourselves, aren't we?)    :D

Ron

Yes we are! ;) Glad you appreciated the reference. :D