Author Topic: Turbos are here!  (Read 2626 times)

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
Re: Turbos are here!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
+3

Here we see the turbo compaired to a bright blue sweater:
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/5/9/5/6595.1107378840.jpg

That's a good example showing color shift in old slides and due to sun/atmosphere/etc. The black on the Turbo was a solid black. Where on that photo does it appear "black" at all? Maybe in a narrow band down the center of the nose. Most of the body is reflecting the blue sky and looking completely washed out.

Compare the colors of those faded slides with this image, from my book:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

It's taken under fluorescent light and you can see right away it looks completely different from the outdoor shots.

I didn't try to just match this one photo, though, as it wouldn't be 100% either. The fluorescents really bring out the purple in the blue band, and this is a scan of a print, viewed on a screen. There is definitely purple in our shade of blue, but not quite that much.

Having lived and breathed this train my entire life, I'm comfortable with the colors that I've chosen for this release. Some people will love it, and some won't. It's all about interpretation.

-Jason

P.S. Want to see how reflective paint really screws up pictures? Check out this photo:

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +317
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
That's a good example showing color shift in old slides and due to sun/atmosphere/etc. The black on the Turbo was a solid black. Where on that photo does it appear "black" at all? Maybe in a narrow band down the center of the nose. Most of the body is reflecting the blue sky and looking completely washed out.

Compare the colors of those faded slides with this image, from my book:

(Attachment Link)

It's taken under fluorescent light and you can see right away it looks completely different from the outdoor shots.

I didn't try to just match this one photo, though, as it wouldn't be 100% either. The fluorescents really bring out the purple in the blue band, and this is a scan of a print, viewed on a screen. There is definitely purple in our shade of blue, but not quite that much.

Having lived and breathed this train my entire life, I'm comfortable with the colors that I've chosen for this release. Some people will love it, and some won't. It's all about interpretation.

-Jason

P.S. Want to see how reflective paint really screws up pictures? Check out this photo:

(Attachment Link)

Ah... and looking at the warehouse photo, you can see the blue shift between the reds on the model and the photo you just posted. Interesting.

I really want one of these but I just can't justify it. Think I'll have to save my pennies for your MBTA cars :)

Any change we'll ever see a Comet/Horizon car?
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +648
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 02:12:19 AM »
Does anyone... Jason? @rapidotrains ... know which NON-sound decoder fits the DC version? Mine (PC/DOT) should be here Thursday, but I would like to order the decoder(s) today so I have everything in-hand to run at the local train show Thanksgiving weekend. If I have to wait 'til receiving the trainset there may not be enough time.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Quod Nesciunt Sibi Damno Non Erit

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1440
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 02:43:24 AM »
+1
Does anyone... Jason? @rapidotrains ... know which NON-sound decoder fits the DC version? Mine (PC/DOT) should be here Thursday, but I would like to order the decoder(s) today so I have everything in-hand to run at the local train show Thanksgiving weekend. If I have to wait 'til receiving the trainset there may not be enough time.

You will run on DCC but you didn't get one with the turbine sound?!?   :o  :|
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 09:58:49 AM »
+1
You will run on DCC but you didn't get one with the turbine sound?!?   :o  :|

Simple - I don't do sound.  :)
...mike

rapidotrains

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
+1

The Turbo has a LokSound Select Micro with Next18 plug. You want ESU 54686 - LokPilot with Next18.

-Jason

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 11:11:46 AM »
Anxiously awaiting mine.  I'm looking forward to seeing it next to my old Bachmann Turbos (yes, I have more than one!).
In the meantime - where can I find a copy of "Meet the Turbos"?   Or at least a copy of the album cover bigger than 80 pixels square?
George

NKPH&TS #3628

xyzzy
Nothing happens

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »
The Turbo has a LokSound Select Micro with Next18 plug. You want ESU 54686 - LokPilot with Next18.

-Jason

Super! Thanks, Jason!
...mike

rapidotrains

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
+2
Anxiously awaiting mine.  I'm looking forward to seeing it next to my old Bachmann Turbos (yes, I have more than one!).
In the meantime - where can I find a copy of "Meet the Turbos"?   Or at least a copy of the album cover bigger than 80 pixels square?

It was originally done for a Model Railroader ad, January 2007.

chicken45

• Crew
  • The guy who made DKS pee that one time.
  • Respect: +606
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 10:29:49 PM »
Twice, @rapidotrains  dropped the mic on this page!
Josh "John" Surkosky
Darth Vader of Penn State
PRRT&HS Member
Bass Trombone Enthusiast
Bearded Dynamo
Kentucky Colonel

The Pig 
The pig, if I am not mistaken;
Supplies us sausage, ham, and bacon.
Let others say his heart is big—
I call it stupid of the pig.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »
The manual states that the front and rear PDC's have different motherboards. I'm wondering what the differences might be?

Thanks,
-Mark

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »
The manual states that the front and rear PDC's have different motherboards. I'm wondering what the differences might be?

I suspect the main difference is the rear is wired backwards from the front PDC, so "front" of the rear PDC is the vestibule end. This way it can use a standard decoder at each end without having to set the reverse-operation CV for the back separately. That the instructions specify programming both decoders simultaneously (including resetting) supports this postulate.

As mentioned, I bought the DC version with the intent of adding a non-sound decoder, only discovering after arrival it needed two. So we'll confirm the motherboard issue in a couple of days once the second decoder arrives and I open-up the rear PDC.
...mike

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
I agree with Mike.
Since the circuit board of both end units has a Next18 decoder socket, each one has to be different.  The rear unit's board will have the motor connections reversed, and also the front headlight function output will be connected to the red LED, while the "rear headlight" output from the decoder will be connected to the white headlight LED on that unit.  That way when the front unit is running forward, the  read decoder will also be running "forward", but actually it will be physically running the rear unit in reverse.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
@rapidomike and @rapidotrains

Between a local Greenberg toy and train show and the Tour de Chooch I have given my Turbo a good workout over the last couple weekends.  It runs really well. No problems on less-than-perfect NTRAK trackage, and over PECO code 55 track and turnouts on one of the Tour de Chooch layouts. It performed flawlessly.  It had great slow speed, even out-of-the-box (with a barely discernible cyclic surging), and after performing the ESU's Automoatic Motor Tunning, the set flawlessly glides at amazingly low speed.

The sound is also very, very good!  However I have noticed an error in the (very humorous) user's manual.  The F11 and F12 announcements are switched. Manual shows F11 triggering Toronto/New York, while F11 on the decoder triggers the Montreal/Boston announcements. Same reversal on F12.

Too bad that the Amtrak sets' decoders aren't programmed to default for the American announcements, but I also understand that this would have required two more sound projects to upload to the decoders and two more part numbers to deal with.  I suppose that I can reprogram the decoders to reverse the F17 functionality.  It is also too bad that some announcements are for Canadien Turbos only, or mixed English/French, but I am aware of Jason's dedication to those trains North of the U.S. border.  :)  Either way, I've been having a blast playing with all the sound features.

The Full Throttle F4 thing is quite useless in this model (it goes from idle at step 0 to full blast in step 1 and above). I might reprogram it for some function I will actually use (one of the ones above F9).

I also have a question:  the exploded diagrams included in the set do not show the diaphragm section. Will any spare parts (specifically, the small black equalizers) be available as spare parts?  Those are very delicate and I'm sure I'll end up breaking couple of them them at some point. especially since the train has to be fully disassembled to be put back in the box.

ALL ABOARD!!  The door are closing!  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

rapidomike

• Respect: +1
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
+1
I also have a question:  the exploded diagrams included in the set do not show the diaphragm section. Will any spare parts (specifically, the small black equalizers) be available as spare parts?  Those are very delicate and I'm sure I'll end up breaking couple of them them at some point. especially since the train has to be fully disassembled to be put back in the box.

Yes they will be! As a matter of fact, the diaphragm parts are the only spare parts I have at the moment! I have complete assembled diaphragms in the various paint schemes, and I have a lot of them. We anticipate that some of them might get lost or damaged  :)

The sound is also very, very good!  However I have noticed an error in the (very humorous) user's manual.  The F11 and F12 announcements are switched. Manual shows F11 triggering Toronto/New York, while F11 on the decoder triggers the Montreal/Boston announcements. Same reversal on F12.

:facepalm: I blame the big kahuna since he personally wrote that manual. I think in the future I should check these things before they go to press  :P

Too bad that the Amtrak sets' decoders aren't programmed to default for the American announcements, but I also understand that this would have required two more sound projects to upload to the decoders and two more part numbers to deal with.  I suppose that I can reprogram the decoders to reverse the F17 functionality.  It is also too bad that some announcements are for Canadien Turbos only, or mixed English/French, but I am aware of Jason's dedication to those trains North of the U.S. border.  :)  Either way, I've been having a blast playing with all the sound features.

You are correct here - too many decoder projects would have meant an increased chance of error during production.
Changing the default announcements to American can be done easily with just a few CVs (we should have put this in the manual!)

CV Changes are as follows:
  • CV31 = 16
  • CV32 = 3
  • CV309 = 128