Author Topic: Broadway Limited T1  (Read 23651 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Broadway Limited T1
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »
+3

The F units did have some issues but the shell detail can`t be beat by any other manufacturers RTR F Units. If they do a second run of F units with additional weight that should fix the pulling power issues.

Some issues? Their detail can't be beat? On their F3's, BLI couldn't tell the difference between solid body panels and chicken wire-covered body openings, or between the front and rear of the B unit sides. Or worse, they could, but released the messed up N scale version anyway while holding off on the HO version announced at the same time. That tells me something about what they think of the N scale market and modeler (and maybe they are right :facepalm:)

I'm happy for you Pennsy steam guys, the T-1 looks gorgeous, but the F3 shell is an abomination imho.
Otto K.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »
@OldEastRR , FYI, I offer every style of PRR vent for every roof type for quite some time now and were specifically designed to fit the Lima P70 roof.
 Can you share pictures of your PB70?

I've bought your vestibule stairs for these conversions. Thing is the picture I use for my conversions is from a low angle and the vents on the roof aren't visible. I'll have to get some for future jobs.Diagram drawings don't show where the vents go -- anybody with the placement measurements?
I thought I sent you a picture of one of these that you gave me some discarded brass doors for. Here's how that one looked:

The brass door fit perfectly where the Lima door was.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2018, 08:58:52 AM »
+1
In the end BLI will get my money every time. No one else is making a M1 or T1 and I assume BLI will keep making more Pennsy steam.

The F units did have some issues but the shell detail can`t be beat by any other manufacturers RTR F Units. If they do a second run of F units with additional weight that should fix the pulling power issues.

@dougnelson thanks for the comparison shots, looks like BLI got all of those nice fine details down, can`t wait to have my in hand.

I hope that BLI makes more Pennsy steam in N scale.  I am hoping for some I-1s, H9s, and J1 classes from them.  We need more Pennsy freight engines!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2018, 09:37:35 AM »
I've bought your vestibule stairs for these conversions. Thing is the picture I use for my conversions is from a low angle and the vents on the roof aren't visible. I'll have to get some for future jobs.Diagram drawings don't show where the vents go -- anybody with the placement measurements?
I thought I sent you a picture of one of these that you gave me some discarded brass doors for. Here's how that one looked:

The brass door fit perfectly where the Lima door was.

PRSL PB70, but same as PRR.  Google is your friend search PRR PB70 images.  You can see where the pinhead vents would go, right on center with the 5 bumps on the your roof above the windows.

Do you have any documentation on what you did to make the model?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:39:16 AM by Lemosteam »

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
I hope that BLI makes more Pennsy steam in N scale.  I am hoping for some I-1s, H9s, and J1 classes from them.  We need more Pennsy freight engines!

I don't know anything about BLI's management; but it seems to me they at least recognize that there is a niche to be filled here, and Pennsy modelers have a bunch of built-up demand that creates a pretty decent market.  The downside, of course, is that with a few exceptions, Pennsy steam was iconically Pennsy because of the firebox - you couldn't paint an I-1 or J1 for the NYC, for example.  But there are quite a few Pennsy modelers out there and each of them I suspect would buy more than one of these.

At least they seem to have gotten past the "Announce it and wait 10 years" phase :facepalm:

John C.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
I don't know anything about BLI's management; but it seems to me they at least recognize that there is a niche to be filled here, and Pennsy modelers have a bunch of built-up demand that creates a pretty decent market.  The downside, of course, is that with a few exceptions, Pennsy steam was iconically Pennsy because of the firebox - you couldn't paint an I-1 or J1 for the NYC, for example.  But there are quite a few Pennsy modelers out there and each of them I suspect would buy more than one of these.

At least they seem to have gotten past the "Announce it and wait 10 years" phase :facepalm:

John C.

Only problem with that is sometimes you shaft your customers so many times that you lose them, so regardless of what you make, they aren't going to want to buy it (not directly from them, anyway). I'm glad that PRR models are being made, but I wish they were being made by a manufacturer I had more respect for. After everything they've done to (not for) us N scale modelers, i don't feel they deserve my money. It's more like they expect my money just for the "pleasure" of owning one of their locomotives. I'll give them that most of their models look good and run decently well, but that is all still ruined by knowing how they feel about us as a genre in this hobby. Like how you'd never want to buy a luxury item from the biggest scumbag you know, regardless of what it is or for what price; it admits that you need them for something and they feel entitled.

Now as a primarily PRR modeler at this stage in my "career," I wish I could support them by buying their products, but I just wouldn't feel right about doing so. If I buy any future BLI products, it will be begrudgingly, and not in a way that directly supports them.
- Christian J. Davis

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »
Only problem with that is sometimes you shaft your customers so many times that you lose them, so regardless of what you make, they aren't going to want to buy it (not directly from them, anyway). I'm glad that PRR models are being made, but I wish they were being made by a manufacturer I had more respect for. After everything they've done to (not for) us N scale modelers, i don't feel they deserve my money. It's more like they expect my money just for the "pleasure" of owning one of their locomotives. I'll give them that most of their models look good and run decently well, but that is all still ruined by knowing how they feel about us as a genre in this hobby. Like how you'd never want to buy a luxury item from the biggest scumbag you know, regardless of what it is or for what price; it admits that you need them for something and they feel entitled.

Now as a primarily PRR modeler at this stage in my "career," I wish I could support them by buying their products, but I just wouldn't feel right about doing so. If I buy any future BLI products, it will be begrudgingly, and not in a way that directly supports them.

Yeah I'm still giving them money so they can make Pennst steam cause they are the best hope we have as pennsy modelers.

I never felt like I was a second class modeler by BLI . But I guess I just dont get my feelings hurt that they make more HO models than N and I'm grateful they are making N models.
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
FYI - a couple of additional points on the T1 -  1. The cab roof vent is operational (slides open and closed) - a nice detail I have not seen elsewhere.  2.  The rear cab wall is easily removed to add engineer and fireman if desired. 

Not sure about all the attitude towards BLI.  Sure their are a few minor issues, but remember when most of the complaints were only why won't manufacturers make this model or that model.  Hard to be so critical when they do produce desirable models.

And by the way - BLI's Choo Choo shoes and MTL's Christmas, Halloween, etc. cars subsidize the prototype models that we want.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »
And by the way - BLI's Choo Choo shoes and MTL's Christmas, Halloween, etc. cars subsidize the prototype models that we want.

Yes! I was talking with Ken about this and he said you can draw a direct line from the sales of Choo Choo Shoes to the N scale T1. So, if you have a T1, and you like it, thank the next kid you see driving his parents nuts with shoes that go choo choo!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »
Yes! I was talking with Ken about this and he said you can draw a direct line from the sales of Choo Choo Shoes to the N scale T1. So, if you have a T1, and you like it, thank the next kid you see driving his parents nuts with shoes that go choo choo!

And if any percentage of those kids grow up to be a model railroader than that helps prolong the hobby even more..
~Ian

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
+1

I tried to have a conversation with Ken once, but instead of actually talking with me he decided to talk down to me and pretty much insult me, so that really put me off from ever buying a BLI product. Only way I'd ever buy a BLI product would be second-hand as I refuse to support BLI.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
Great looking engine.  Runs great at this point.

Having an issue programming it.  Digirax DSC51/PR3/JMRI updated/ cannot communicate with engine.  Tried a 210 ohm resistor across track - no luck.  Any suggestions. - Ross

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2018, 08:39:03 PM »
+1
Yeah. I don't get the hate. I had a great talk with Ken in Monroeville. I thanked them for never giving up on N steam, and that I loved my M1, and I showed him pics of them weathered. I told him how excited I was for the T1.

I've also been emailing them off and on over the past 5 or 6 years. I started when the M1 was announced in MR. I'd email them once a year- in fact, I would email the same person, asking friendly for an update.
Once the day came, I sent him another message after I got them, thanking them and congratulating them for a terrific product. I emailed him again today after I got my pair of T1s. I went out of my way to tell them not to listen to the haters. I've seen a lot of hate, some justified, some not. Mostly rude. Their Facebook page is full of people living in the past. I can't tell you how sick and tired I was of seeing "OH LOOK ANOTHER DELAY ON TEH T1. WONDER IF IT'S GONNA TAKE 15 YEARS LIKE THE M1 I'LL NEBER BUY BLI BLAH BLAH BLAH". I called one of these guys out and saw he didn't even model the PRR and likely wouldn't have bought an M1 anyways.

Well kids, I think the T1 was only delayed a year from its initial release date. Time to get a new dead (iron) horse.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:42:47 PM by chicken45 »
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2018, 09:49:11 PM »
+1
Yeah. I don't get the hate. I had a great talk with Ken in Monroeville. I thanked them for never giving up on N steam, and that I loved my M1, and I showed him pics of them weathered. I told him how excited I was for the T1.

I'm thinking that Ken's demeanor could be directly related to the attitude of the person who talks to him.
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2018, 09:50:53 PM »
+2
I'm thinking that Ken's demeanor could be directly related to the attitude of the person who talks to him.

Correct.  If that persons attitude is that N is a real scale and should be treated seriously, Ken doesn't like them.

Jason